The Humble fish and chippery

A reply to: @Jefferson regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @rossoneri regarding QuoteLink
Is Jefferson chinese?

Good potato cakes.

Love a burger from a fish and chip joint as well. They just keep it simple and it’s ■■■■■■ awesome.

Yes.

Get out of the right hand lane!

Is Jefferson chinese?

Good potato cakes.

Love a burger from a fish and chip joint as well. They just keep it simple and it’s ■■■■■■ awesome.

Yes.

A reply to: @SMJ regarding QuoteLink

How has this thread gone this many posts without anyone mentioning dim sims?

Fried, steamed, whatever, just get them in me.

I never order F&C without a sneaky few dimmies on the side.

Umm, it’s mentioned on the first page?

Might get some fish & chips for dinner tonight. Blitz Dinner Suggestions.

It should be mentioned on every page in every post!

Is Jefferson chinese?

Good potato cakes.

Yes.

Get out of the right hand lane!

Sorry, I don’t live in Box Hill/Springvale/Glen Waverley.

From my experience, the dodginess/criminal record of the proprietor plays a large part.
Dirty old Angelo, who’d done 2 separate stints at her majesty’s leisure, and had far more knives around than really seemed necessary, and would occasionally show you ■■■■ when you went in after school still in your (primary) school uniform was the best ever at the local.

All the other 4 or 5 proprietors have been just OK.

@Riolio I’m 4 hours from any coast. If I used your criteria, I’d never eat fish from a chippy. That said, we’ve got a couple of chippies that still get fresh fish delivered daily. Worth their weight in gold around here.

But for me, it’s the overall presentation of the chips, the thickness of the potato cakes (ie - more potato please), and how generous the staff are with the chicken salt that will get me coming back.

And if they then throw in an extra potato cake or two - I’m sold.

A reply to: @brem06 regarding QuoteLink

@Riolio I'm 4 hours from any coast. If I used your criteria, I'd never eat fish from a chippy. That said, we've got a couple of chippies that still get fresh fish delivered daily. Worth their weight in gold around here.

But for me, it’s the overall presentation of the chips, the thickness of the potato cakes (ie - more potato please), and how generous the staff are with the chicken salt that will get me coming back.

I live 2 hours from the ocean.

Don’t make this into a chicken salt thread…

(JUST SAY NO.)

Quoted Post

Bacon salt. Now there's an idea.

Best idea ever

The batter and the oil used have to be spot on.

Get those right and you will get a lot of word-of-mouth business.

malt vinegar!

A reply to: @brem06 regarding QuoteLink

@Riolio I'm 4 hours from any coast. If I used your criteria, I'd never eat fish from a chippy. That said, we've got a couple of chippies that still get fresh fish delivered daily. Worth their weight in gold around here.

Any fresh fish that gets bought will no doubt be from one of the big fish markets anyway (Footscray in Vic, can’t remember the Sydney one). I know some places in Lakes get their Lakes Entrance prawns driven up every day from Footscray.

A reply to: @pazza regarding QuoteLink

The batter and the oil used have to be spot on.

Get those right and you will get a lot of word-of-mouth business.

Agreed. My favoured local in Eltham has dropped the ball in the past few months. Chips taste oily and stale. Fish serving is smaller than previous. Have started to travel to the fish shop in Burgundy st Heidelberg for good quality f&c but, because it’s too far from home, have to eat it there.

I tend to go the day the oil is changed…keep an eye out for the cooking oil truck.

There’s a fish and chip place near me that’s passable. I’ve been spoilt though because I lived near the ocean for 22 years. Fish and chips were always so nice.

There was a great Greek run place near work here. The oil was always clean, fish was a good size, batter and chips always crunchy. And then it sold to Asians and it’s gone downhill.

In conclusion, good, clean, oil should be the foundations for every fish and chippery. If I get my chips and they’re brown then that’s it.

In Carnegie there is a F&C shop run by Chinese which has a big sign “Traditional Greek style fish & Chips”!!!

Talk about a cultural cross-over.

My local guy is pretty damn good.

He always adds at least one extra piece of fish to my order, his chips are among the best I’ve had and he also does a mean Dim Sim.

BUT

The prices here in Perth are ■■■■■■ ridiculous…everything is so expensive compared to what I pay when I’m in Melbourne.

Dimmies are about $1.90 each these days and a piece of Flake is about $12.00

I’ve never understood why….it’s not like they have to bring the fish in from interstate…it’s pretty much all caught locally.

Unfortunately canberra is bereft of good fish and chips :frowning:

Theo’s down from Windy Hill at the Essendon Station roundabout (think it’s a 7/11 now) used to be the best greasy burgers back in the late 70’s/early 80’s. Best filler after a bevy session.

Huge difference between steamed dim sims & fried. The Asian owned F&C owners do the big fat steamed dimmies full of cabbage & pork mince & they are great with a bit of soy sauce. Fried dimmies are usually fried within an inch of their lives & I reckon would bounce like a squash ball if you dropped them, so it has to be steamed every time, which is ■■■■■■ hard in FNQ, since they all like deep fried crap up here.

I don’t agree with eating flake - the general public have a crack about the Chinese & their shark fin soup, yet the Victorians are just as guilty with their consumption of flake. Mind here in FNQ, they all eat mackeral as your stock standard fish, but it’s not bad.

The batter has to have soda water in the mix to lighten it & make it a bit tempura-like. Trying to get grilled or crumbed usually means the thinner bits on the edges are dried out too much, due to irregular thickness. It has to be battered, but only thin & light, not thick & sludgy, to at least keep the fish moist.

Best F&C I ever had was at a pub in Kingscote over on Kangaroo Island - battered KG Whiting - magnificent!

A reply to: @pazza regarding QuoteLink

I tend to go the day the oil is changed..keep an eye out for the cooking oil truck.

I now have a mental image of Pazza sneakily peering out the curtains with his binoculars looking for the truck. Wearing cammo.

A reply to: @David J Richardson regarding QuoteLink

Don't make this into a chicken salt thread...

(JUST SAY NO.)

THANK YOU.

Thought it was just me that hates that stuff.