The Humble fish and chippery

A reply to: @premature rookie elevation regarding QuoteLink

number 1 rule, "chippery" must not be included in the name.

also, after watching that “what’s the catch” doco i’m unsure of what to order from a sustainability point of view.

Calamari is probably your best bet. Squid spawn in their hundreds of squillions and only live a year or so anyway, it’s not like some fish that take decades to reach breeding age.

The world’s not going to run out of potatoes anytime soon, either :wink:

i think whiting are on the Good list too. flake is apparently terrible in terms of fish stocks and by catch et al.

In Hobart if you buy fish and chips from anywhere other than one of the punts on the wharf you are doing it wrong.

A reply to: @David J Richardson regarding QuoteLink

Don't make this into a chicken salt thread...

(JUST SAY NO.)

One of those burger chain lots (Burger Edge I think) used to used chicken salt as the default option. I reported them to ACCC, Vic Health, and even the US FDA. I’ll never go there again.

There’s one of those “previously was a food truck” joints, Dude Food Man, in Buckley St (opposite Goofy’s), where there used to be a good chippery. Dude Food is over-priced and just going OK. Nothing special, but too expensive. There’s a decent burger joint in Puckle St called Just Burgers that’s not bad. Good chips.

For the record, I just had a burger with the lot at the tucker box stop 9 kilometres from Gundagai (I know). Now you know I don’t do food reviews but the onions were the weak point in an otherwise very nice setup. Kinda stringy.

My niece had the chips, and they were ■■■■.

Who the ■■■■ doesn’t like chicken salt on their chips?

A reply to: @em2009 regarding QuoteLink

Who the ■■■■ doesn't like chicken salt on their chips?

Old people

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink

Old people

Back in Noonan’s day, they had to extract the salt from the ocean to flavour their chips.

Chicken salt is like bacon, everything tastes better with it.

Chicken salt crusted bacon…hmmmm…arrrggggg!!!

Chicken salt is horrible.

1 Like

Me.

I don’t dislike it, I f*$&en hate it.

1 Like

A reply to: @Silly Billy regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @mattmcp regarding QuoteLink
A good pickled onion is a necessity.

people actually buy those?

They’re best when pickled with chillies

I judge my fish and chip shops by the after meal effect. If your mouth feels like you swallowed a litre of sump oil after you finish the fish and chips don’t go back. Fish and chip shop hamburgers with the lot are my favourites.

The one meal that can’t be replicated outside of Oz is Fish ‘N’ Chips - There is nothing like the taste of Aussie Fish ‘N’ Chips. I remember the first time I took my wife to OZ and she couldn’t wait to try Fish N Chips. She thought she was in heaven and couldn’t believe the size of the potato cakes and the taste of the Dim Sums.

And every trip I must take her to South Melbourne Market for the world’s Best Dim Sims.

A reply to: @yaco55 regarding QuoteLink

The one meal that can't be replicated outside of Oz is Fish 'N' Chips - There is nothing like the taste of Aussie Fish 'N' Chips. I remember the first time I took my wife to OZ and she couldn't wait to try Fish N Chips. She thought she was in heaven and couldn't believe the size of the potato cakes and the taste of the Dim Sums.

And every trip I must take her to South Melbourne Market for the world’s Best Dim Sims.

Utter rubbish.
F&Cs in both UK and NZ are on average vastly superior.

The one meal that can't be replicated outside of Oz is Fish 'N' Chips - There is nothing like the taste of Aussie Fish 'N' Chips. I remember the first time I took my wife to OZ and she couldn't wait to try Fish N Chips. She thought she was in heaven and couldn't believe the size of the potato cakes and the taste of the Dim Sums.

Considering you wouldn’t find those kind of “dim sims” in any part of Asia, that’s not saying much.

Hoffmans Rd Fish and chips is Greek ran and owned I think , not bad quality in the scale of things.
Wife (vegetarian) took me to New York Burger yesterday and was excellent and fantastic chips…

A reply to: @Gnik regarding QuoteLink

Utter rubbish.
F&Cs in both UK and NZ are on average vastly superior.

Cant vouch for the Kiwi version but the English Fish and Chips crap all over anything ive had here.

Quoted Post

AHH ,,,the good old days We used to peel 7 bags of spuds during the morning and would chip and blanch and into a large aluminium container where the oil would run into a corner and we'd scrape it back into the fryers. So much better than the frozen chips now . Very few shops still peel and chip their own these days And the fine light palm oil blends are not like the oil we got in tins, and you let it sit like an iceberg as it slowly melted in the fryer.And thr late night customers wanting only 1 potato cake cos that's all they had left .

To this day I pretty much can’t eat the stuff anymore.

For best value, the Thornbury fish and chip shop on High St is still running what appear to be prices from the 1980s. And it’s 1980s style batter too, bit thicker and less tempura like than the expensive places.

When started going there it was the Greek family, and now it’s the Asian family and the quality is still great.

Also, golden rule is that you always get one more potato cake than you ordered.

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
AHH ,,,the good old days We used to peel 7 bags of spuds during the morning and would chip and blanch and into a large aluminium container where the oil would run into a corner and we'd scrape it back into the fryers. So much better than the frozen chips now . Very few shops still peel and chip their own these days And the fine light palm oil blends are not like the oil we got in tins, and you let it sit like an iceberg as it slowly melted in the fryer.And thr late night customers wanting only 1 potato cake cos that's all they had left .

To this day I pretty much can’t eat the stuff anymore.

For best value, the Thornbury fish and chip shop on High St is still running what appear to be prices from the 1980s. And it’s 1980s style batter too, bit thicker and less tempura like than the expensive places.

When started going there it was the Greek family, and now it’s the Asian family and the quality is still great.

Also, golden rule is that you always get one more potato cake than you ordered.

the local sometimes throws in extras of everything if you get enough, had people over and so went there to pick up an order, got home and had extra fish, chips,dimsims, potato cakes and calamari. Guarantee to get a customer for life that service.

Food was great too.