The Humble fish and chippery

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink

For best value, the Thornbury fish and chip shop on High St is still running what appear to be prices from the 1980s. And it's 1980s style batter too, bit thicker and less tempura like than the expensive places.

When started going there it was the Greek family, and now it’s the Asian family and the quality is still great.

Also, golden rule is that you always get one more potato cake than you ordered.

There’s a few in that area, what’s the name/address?

A reply to: @Aceman regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Gnik regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @yaco55 regarding QuoteLink
The one meal that can't be replicated outside of Oz is Fish 'N' Chips - There is nothing like the taste of Aussie Fish 'N' Chips. I remember the first time I took my wife to OZ and she couldn't wait to try Fish N Chips. She thought she was in heaven and couldn't believe the size of the potato cakes and the taste of the Dim Sums.

And every trip I must take her to South Melbourne Market for the world’s Best Dim Sims.

Utter rubbish.
F&Cs in both UK and NZ are on average vastly superior.

Cant vouch for the Kiwi version but the English Fish and Chips crap all over anything ive had here.
This, F&C in England are better than anywhere else.

Do vegetarians eat chicken salt?

A reply to: @Hirdy for PM regarding QuoteLink

Hoffmans Rd Fish and chips is Greek ran and owned I think , not bad quality in the scale of things. Wife (vegetarian) took me to New York Burger yesterday and was excellent and fantastic chips...
That's my old local...I still remember Friday Primary School lunches from there...a serve of chips and five potato cakes for the princely sum of 10 cents :)

I love all seafood. But for “fish n chips” its gotta be flake.

Still remember being in NSW and asking for flake. “You mean Hake”. “Err, no, i mean flake”. A quizzical look from the girl. “What is Flake?”. And a voice floating through from somewhere down the back. “He means shark! The ■■■■■■ victorians eat it and call it somethin else!”.

Ive never had decent fish and chips between the Murray and the Tweed. Got mates who live in sydney and the stuff is like frozen birdseye crap.

Grilled Schnapper, that’s my go.

A reply to: @saladin regarding QuoteLink

I love all seafood. But for "fish n chips" its gotta be flake.

Totally agree. I farkin love barramundi, but every time I’ve got it at a fish and chip shop, I’ve watched others eating the flake and immediately regretted my decision.

Quoted Post

The one meal that can't be replicated outside of Oz is Fish 'N' Chips - There is nothing like the taste of Aussie Fish 'N' Chips. I remember the first time I took my wife to OZ and she couldn't wait to try Fish N Chips. She thought she was in heaven and couldn't believe the size of the potato cakes and the taste of the Dim Sums.

And every trip I must take her to South Melbourne Market for the world’s Best Dim Sims.

Considering you wouldn’t find those kind of “dim sims” in any part of Asia, that’s not saying much.

Dim Sims at South Melbourne are awesome - Best in Victoria - Pity you haven’t tried the dim sims.

Quoted Post

Utter rubbish.
F&Cs in both UK and NZ are on average vastly superior.

This thread is discussing our favorite fish and chippery - never liked the way they cook English Fish N chips - And we have enough of them in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia.

I have different tastes and expectations of fish n chips compared to you.

A reply to: @saladin regarding QuoteLink

I love all seafood. But for "fish n chips" its gotta be flake.

Still remember being in NSW and asking for flake. “You mean Hake”. “Err, no, i mean flake”. A quizzical look from the girl. “What is Flake?”. And a voice floating through from somewhere down the back. “He means shark! The ■■■■■■ victorians eat it and call it somethin else!”.

Ive never had decent fish and chips between the Murray and the Tweed. Got mates who live in sydney and the stuff is like frozen birdseye crap.

I had some really good fish and chips at a place on the Hawkesbury, just off that cruise…Brooklyn something, I think, the area’s called.

I always prefer whiting myself, but I’m not a big fish eater…other seafood I’m very partial to.

I grew up in the fish on Fridays and during Lent era, and my old cheese doesn’t like fish at all. Her cod is a thing of non-beauty. We used to have fish fingers, and tuna in rice etc.

Funny that fish doesn’t get the sort of love that steak does (and I’m going off the fish ‘n’ chip shop stuff a little here).
I like steak, I really do, and I’ll have it far more often. But steak doesn’t make me go ‘oh my god this is amazing’ the way beautifully cooked fish with a nice light sauce does.

Quoted Post

Considering you wouldn’t find those kind of “dim sims” in any part of Asia, that’s not saying much.

Dim Sims at South Melbourne are awesome - Best in Victoria - Pity you haven’t tried the dim sims.

Yeah, I have. They smell bad, and taste bad. “World’s best dim sims”, please…

A reply to: @Jefferson regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

I agree with Jefferson here. A proper Asian dim sim is better than sex.

Someone mentioned Mr Burger… BOOO!!! Refer to my review from last year.

Rumours have circulated of late that I have a cowardly palate, afraid of change. Whilst the arguments against these accusations are many and irrefutable, what follows is not a defence, as such, against these claims. No, defence is not required as ignorance is its own curse, unassailable by reason or facts. The following is simply a community service.

Today I sat at my desk, alone. My small collection of friends had abandoned me to a day of solitude, destined to walk the scorching streets alone in search of sustenance. Hugging the shaded walls, I found myself walking down Little Bourke St, a discreet sign showing stylised outlines of burgers ahead of me.

I have long avoided trying this establishment, as despite loving burgers so very much, Mr Burger seemed that little bit too “trendy” for my tastes. But then I thought of all the times I’d walked past in the company of my friends, friends who had abandoned me at the moment, but whom I still felt nothing but pure affection for. Often these lone bastions of humanity had asked if I knew anyone who had tried it yet, and every time my response had been the same – “no”.

I stopped at the doorway. It was still early, so the crowd of bearded, tight-jeaned hipsters were not creating their usual cordon of irony and distaste. I looked through the window, but the glare from our incessant heatwave and the tinting on the glass left the interior a desolate mystery.

I entered.

“Bro! How can I help you” exclaimed the balding, overweight, short, middle-aged man behind the counter. He looked like someone who took his styling tips from George Calamboris, and whilst my experiences at Georges restaurants had been overwhelmingly positive, he still was not a guy I found personally “likeable”

“I’m not a ‘bro’, bro” I responded. This was not starting well.

“Chill dude! It’s too hot for bad vibes – how can I help you?”

I couldn’t argue with his reasoning, but I was still left with a bad taste in my mouth.

“I’ll have a Mr Meat and a small chips please”

“For only $2 more you can get a drink”

“No thanks”

“You sure? Look outside dude” (he had half-learned a lesson at least) “you’ll need a drink!”

“NO” I replied, firmly this time.

After asking my name (“Is that Zeb or Zed?”) he advised me it would be about 5 minutes. I turned around. There was a bench to sit and wait, but no tables to eat at. I sat and waited.

As predicted, around 5 minutes later a tall, thin man with a terrible goatee, emo haircut and super-tight jeans instructed “Zed” that his burger was ready. Looking around and not seeing anyone else in the room, I assumed he meant “Zeb” and grabbed the bag. A totally bro comment followed me as I was walking out, but I didn’t pause to listen, intent as I was of just getting the hell out of there before more hipsters showed up. The ones behind the counter were bad enough.

I wandered the streets on the way back to the office, and ended up pulling up at a bench near the County Court.

First, I tried some chips. The bag was well packed with chips, which were all of a uniform length and girth. They were crispy, and dusted with a seasoning of indeterminate origin but which I reckon was probably mostly powdered tomato. There may have been some paprika as well. Overall, the chips were good, not great. 7.5/10

Then, I got to the money shot. The buger itself was wrapped in waxed paper, and upon unfolding this I was presented with a burger half wrapped in foil. The burger itself was medium sized – much smaller than Grill’d, much larger than Big Boy BBQ. Despite the utmost care I had taken in transit, the burger itself was not well presented. One can only assume they constructed it with a whole heap of irony and the term “Sloppy Joe” in mind.

Biting into it, I was taken back to a time when the Buchan Valley Roadhouse was ran by a lovely old eastern European couple and their 40-year old virgin son. Despite the failings of their son, they made lovely burgers of the traditional fish-and-chip shop variety. You’re not getting any gourmet flavours or exotic sauces here, just a solid, reliable burger.

Buying a burger such as this from the old immigrant couple at the corner shop is one thing, something that is sorely lacking in the modern world where corner shops are owned by semi-retired professionals and ran by pimply teenagers. Buying this from a bunch of hipster-bro d**kheads is something else entirely. The burger was quite simply not good enough to justify sharing a space with those people, even if it is only for 5 minutes. It’s also not good enough that you have to buy the burger then try to find a comfortable place to sit and eat it.

So…

Flavour (chips): 7.5/10 – Good, but not quite great.
Flavour (burger): 7/10 – Quite nice, but nothing remarkable
Value ($14): 5/10 – Even with the small chips I was left satisfied, which is an achievement
Convenience: 1/10 – No tables and chairs, or indeed any in the nearby vicinity makes meeting friends for lunch almost unworkable
Vibe: 1/10 – See above

Beer battered flathead.

Eltham Burger Lounge. Taken plenty of friends there and never been disappointed. Big tasty variety of burgers (usually cut one in two to share), crisp herb chips and nice dipping sauces.

I peck at the chips, and smother them with sauce or vinegar - so I’m not that precious about them, though I do like the ‘gribbly bits’ - ie the crunchies. With the fish - a nice thick flathead fillet. Not too laden with thick batter. A bit of lemon. Lots of salt - not chicken-salt ffs.

Burgers - those around Essendon way - the chicken shop near the 7/11 in Napier St makes a great burger. Homemade beef patties. They sometimes run out.

Flippin Fish near windy hill is pretty good.

Grab some fish and chips and sit on the showers stand hill for VFL regularly

The burger joint opposite the National Theatre in St Kilda do really good, honest burgers.
Continue to since changing hands, as well.

A reply to: @scotty21 regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Jefferson regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post</a

I agree with Jefferson here. A proper Asian dim sim is better than sex.

There is no such thing as an Asian dim sim. They’re an Australian invention.