The "I was wrong" Files

Knee-ly.

1 Like

Iā€™m also guilty of this, prob because it was right at the end of Mercuriā€™s career and he looked like the perfect replacement. Got that one wrong.

2 Likes

I was very angry at Disco when he read out hurley instead of rich on 2008, I also thought our 2006 draft was going to rival or beat that of the cats in 2001. So so wrong

I once told everyone to watch AFL360ā€¦ Iā€™m still
so so sorry :blush:

30 Likes

More votes for mis-placed optimism over Haynes and Werner. I also thought that Julian Kirzner would become a star after watching him dominate in the reserves repeatedlyā€¦

Thought Fraser Gehrig was a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  fairy at West Coast (tbf he absolutely was).

Didnā€™t want us to re-sign Kelly this year (for interfering with development reasons, wasnā€™t stupid enough to think heā€™d be no good) but am very glad we did

No you didnā€™t!

1 Like

Personally Iā€™ve been more or less right on everything Iā€™ve posted on Blitz

2 Likes

Hmm, have I written him off yet? I do have doubts, but Iā€™d hardly say Iā€™ve written him off.

I definitely wrote off Bags. Got that one wrong. Iā€™d stamped Colyerā€™s papers before he broke into the team in 2015. I wrote off Winderlich - thought his disposal was too poor and he ran around like a march hare. Ambrose early 2016, although I was probably faster to switch and say we have a quality KP back than most as well.

Iā€™ve written off Long and Jerrett, so they can be placeholders.

Canā€™t think of too many others. I tend to be a little bit noncommittal, until I think its reasonably certain. So not generally on bandwagons. E.g. not on any of the 2016 draftees bandwagons at start of year (definitely on McGrathā€™s now). Still noncommittal on Langford/Laverde. But then, even when a kid is showing something I remember Gumby/Pears/D. Daniher and go - form, skill and effort arenā€™t the only determinants of success. Unfortunately.

I think my bigger problem would be too often not writing players off. Supported Jerrett for a long time. A big supporter of Myers. Always big fan of Ricky Dyson.

Jesus, itā€™d be way easier to list the things I was right about

• Moorcroft would one day take Mark of the Year
  • Hurley would be better as a defender
  • Melksham would never be a gun
  • Oā€™Meara is cooked

And yeah, the jury is still out on that fourth one.

Literally every other firmly held opinion Iā€™ve had has been laughed at by fate.

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to measure if heā€™s vital to our success when we havenā€™t had any.

I was another who thought Julian Kirzner would be a star. I also initially overrated Jerrett, Ricky Dyson, David Flood and 70ā€™s players Pat Wellington and Robert Amos. On the other hand, Justin Blumfield and Nobby Clarke turned out to be much better than I expected. I always liked Hooker and Baguley though.

I thought Lachlan Ross was EXACTLY what we needed.

Going early with this one but I had GC winning a flag before GWS

Yeah well I said heā€™s probably only ever going to be our fitness coach. Could still happen I suppose.

Marc Bullen was going to be a superstar.
Reimers would win the Brownlow.
Still hold a candle for Judd Lalich.

2 Likes

Was convinced Benny Haynes was the next big thing after watching him tear up the Dogs one Friday night game at the G around 1999 (?).

I lost all faith in Ben Haynes one day in the magoos out at Cramer St, Preston. Just a smidge soft.

I think the big one I held great hopes for was Gary ā€œBroncoā€ Grainger from the Wimmeraā€¦Horsham I think.

Captain Blood was trying to pinch him away from us so you thought he had to be good. Built like a Greek god and with superb mutton-chops, was just a touch slow for the big leagues. Spent a few years in the VFA with the Bullants.

2 Likes

Wrong thread.

I liked Mark Alvey.

1 Like