The Impossible Dream - wakey, wakey! - will we finish 9,10, 11 or 12th? How will the finals unfold?... Ladder predictor in OP

Do you reckon other teams want to face us or the likes of Norf or Melbourne in the finals?

Hopefully they don’t work this out in the next two weeks!

well now Kane Lambert is out…that helps us right?

1 Like

Hopefully some more to follow.

Apparently Hibberd and Melksham are expected back against the Eagles. ■■■■.

Be competitive in both our last two games, winning at least one of them, and then I think our season will have been a success. If we win both of our last two games, we will have crushed it.

As it stands we have 2 games to go and we are one game short of the same number of wins as last year, and 1.5% short of last years percentage; having beaten four out of the top 8 teams (we only beat 3 last year).

If we win our last two, I reckon we are even money to sneak into the 8. I would love to set all the “established wisdom” of the 8 being set by halfway through the season on its head. We were 8th after round 1 and haven’t been near the eight since.

Imagine sneaking back into the eight on the last Sunday afternoon of the home and away season, at about 6.30pm at the 'G, with GWS beating Melbourne, causing the Dees to drop out. If it is going to happen that would be the most likely scenario, unless we slip ahead of Sydney on percentage after them playing and losing against Hawthorn at the SCG on the Saturday night.

If we make it and we have Fanta, Hooker, Saad, Langford and Goddard available and no major personnel losses, who knows, I reckon we could win a couple at least.

I think we have heaps left to play for this year, even if only to set up 2019.

Win our last 2 games and we will have elite players wanting to join us knowing there is no side we can’t beat, and that we will only get better for many years to come.

3 Likes

I’d rather not ask that hot chick on a date. What if she said no?!

4 Likes

I had a dream EFC got “Macrae”. Please tell me he’s a gun or he’s conveniently contracted.

Not soft - just realistic.

We have options now.
The teams sitting in positions 6,7,8 are very getable given their horrendous draws.

Geelong will take 1 of those positions as they will win both games (Freo now missing Sandi, Fyfe & Walters), and probably build on their percentage.

So there are 2 positions left.

Port (no Ryder, Dixon, Polec?)would have to pull out some sort of performance to beat Collingwood this week, who will likely be bolstered by Howe’s return, and still have a legitimate claim on a Top 4 spot.

Despite Adelaide now being out of contention, they will still go in as warm favourites against the Kangas at home.

Melb will find the going tough against WC this week, who still need 1 more win to ensure Top 2 (home Final)

Even if 1 of NM or Melb go against us, we can still catch Sydney on %.
The margins don’t require anything too extravagant.
It does require Sydney to lose both games to 2 sides that need to win to ensure Top 4.

Provided we can uphold our end (difficult task, I know), the thing in our favour is that the teams we require to lose, are playing quality opposition who are very motivated to win.
The exception being the Crows who are now out of it.
Hopefully, that won’t make a difference, as they really can’t move from 12th position.

4 Likes

How is it realistic?

We pumped Sydney by 40
We lost to Hawks by 4
We lost to Pies by 16 with 3 in game injuries
Dees aren’t scary

We are a very very competive unit now and aren’t getting belted by anyone in an elimination final

It is fkn soft to say I’d rather not make it to avoid dissapointment & focus on 2019

Especially if we got there beating Tigers at the G and Port at home next two rounds.

8 Likes

We potentially have Raz (our best forward by a long shot), Saad, Goddard and Hooker out. It will be a tough encounter against Richmond and then have to travel to Adelaide - plus rely on other results going our way. That’s my definition of realistic.

That’s irrelevant to what I was saying was soft

1 Like

I have no idea what you are on about.

Clearly

6 Likes

Well one thing is absolutely certain - we won’t win a final without being in one.
I suppose the bright side for you is - we won’t lose one, either.

1 Like

We can’t draw a final unless it’s the grand final.

4 Likes

We will finish 7th.

1 Like

The good news is that with the entire top 12 being so close… teams in the top 4 will still have to go hard at it or they could slip. Fascinating to see that teams can still (mathematically) finish 2nd or 10th depending on results.

Still a lot to play for and lots of team relish being the spoiler. I don’t think any win over the next two weeks will be easy.

I also put a lot of faith in the fact that drama follows this league… I wouldn’t be surprised if a team like Gold Coast comes to Geelong and beats them… in a twist that no one can predict.

Gotta finish off strong so the AFL gives us best draw for TV viewing and sponsors next year.

Not without 2 Metre Peter !

You’d be better off putting your faith in Jesus Christ or some other fictional character. He’s far more likely to walk on water than GC is of winning their last game of the year down in Geelong.