The Impossible Dream - wakey, wakey! - will we finish 9,10, 11 or 12th? How will the finals unfold?... Ladder predictor in OP

Losing to Hawks fkd us

No one genuinely believes we will beat Richmond.

But daring to dream.

Was an article put up that once a team locks in top 2 spot they are only 50/50 likelihood to win their remaining games. Mentally not as switched on, intensity drop etc. Not much on game for them.

So if Tigers are off. And we are on… well.

As we saw last year West Coast beat the Crows who had top spot sewn up when weren’t expected to which got them into finals over Melbourne.

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll make it, but I’m near on certain that there’ll be a spot (maybe two) available. Geelong will go in.

1 Like

We’re having fun.

2 Likes

Im worried some Blitzers will start believing it and come Friday night, may have to be put on suicide watch, if they dont die of a heart attack before hand. Shall we invite a councellor from Lifeline to the game day thread?

That’s why we love football though.

Believe in the impossible dream

Get heartbroken

Dust ourselves off and go again.

15 Likes

Fixed

8 Likes

If it’s any consolation, if we sneak into the 8 at their expense, they will have beaten one side in the 8.

1 Like

Yep, they’re now a chance.
GWS going down with more injuries the last few weeks.

Even without Kelly, that midfield still has Ward, Coniglio, Shiel, Whitfield, Hopper, Taranto, Griffen (?).
Davis and Haynes in defence, Cameron and Himmelberg forward, with Lobb in the Ruck.

Need to win to stay in Top 4 and playing at home.
Still think they have enough talent to get over Sydney.

1 Like

As others have said, there is an opening if Melb and Port lose their last two games.

Chances of us winning both are not great - see the multitude of posts above as to why. However Richmond going a little off the boil because they have basically secured top spot and have certainly secured two home finals - might just open the door for something remarkable to happen.

If it does happen, this thread is going to be absolutely cranking over the weekend. If I happened to go away Friday night and come back Monday morning, there might be 2,000 new posts to read.

1 Like

and most of them utter garbage. But you’ll read em anyway, right?

I keep doing the predictor and have us in,blindly with us having to win the last 2

Then I somehow forget we are playing Richmond.
Most difficult part of the equation by far.

2 Likes

It’s like eating junk food. Seemed good at the time.

1 Like

Nah… It’s a long shot, everyone should know that. But what is sport for, if not to dream?

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone would be putting their house on us winning but why shouldn’t we dream a little? Lots of people buy lotto tickets knowing full well that they are likely to lose… but they are essentially paying for the right to look at that little ticket on the fridge and think “imagine if I won”…

Considering that we have, at least, five months of post season and pre-season ahead of us… I reckon we can enjoy another five days of dreaming. Plenty of time to dissect, reflect, rant, complain, whinge, worry, whine and have puns later.

Would I prefer not to have to beat the reigning premiers and top placed team to qualify for finals… yeah sure. Would it have been easier to say, win against FC, than beat the tigers… sure but the equation is what it is.

If we truly believe we are a top team then we have to beat the tigers at some point. Why not start this week.

4 Likes

Yes, why not dream.

But dare we get so far ahead of ourselves as to think about the tension of round 23 if we beat the Tiges???

Will we have anything left in the tank after leaving it all on the park at the MCG on Friday?

How ferocious at home will be Port if they are coming off 3 losses against arch rivals and we will be in front of their raging feral home crowd and they will be playing for survival.

Then, if we win that, we have to sit through the rest of the 8 games, 4 of which can have a bearing on if we make the 8.

One scenario is we could slip ahead of the Swans on percentage if they lose to the Hawks at the SCG on the Saturday night and lose to the Giants at Spotless the week before.

Another scenario is in the second last match of the round after 6pm on Sunday, Melbourne falls out of the 8 and we slide in if they lose their third match in succession.

Getting even more fantastical, the week before North manage a win against the Crows, only to fall to a rampant St Kilda in the very last match of the home and away season at around 7.30pm. The Saints play their heart out because they want to finish the season with a bang, so they can better enjoy mad Monday, and Carlisle wipes the floor with Ben Brown just to get the Bomber supporters off his back.

And then I wake up … It’s 11pm this Friday night, I’ve fallen asleep in the last quarter and we have lost by 93 points to the Tiges. I go back to sleep. I don’t talk to anyone for the rest of the weekend.

1 Like

This genuinely made me laugh out loud. :joy:

1 Like

Let’s get rid of him then? Worked for Richmond with Deledio :joy:

1 Like

I’d rather beat these Richmond flogs and miss out on finals that’s how much I hate Richmond and would love to end their ‘MCG’ streak.
There ya go.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Dusty break his arm trying to give Smith a don’t argue.

5 Likes

And ending their MCG streak will mean 2/5ths of ■■■ all (to them).
Just like it meant very little when the Bulldogs ended our streak in 2000.

The only thing that matters is winning the Flag !!!