The Impossible Dream - wakey, wakey! - will we finish 9,10, 11 or 12th? How will the finals unfold?... Ladder predictor in OP

If results go our way for the next few weeks and we remain a chance for finals then umps will go into overdrive vs Hawthorn. Will make the last 3 weeks feel like #freekickEssendon.

Might as well just let Poppy umpire the game.
He’ll probably pay us more than the umps will !

whynotboth.gif

1 Like

This only covers the teams in the 8 but has Melbourne missing the finals due to its hard run home. Presumably they predict North to take their spot. North v Sydney on Sunday is a critical match for is. We really Sydney to win to keep North within reach.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/12/afl-teams-run-home-part-1-2/

Dev still hopeful:

(From the Hun)

FINALS HOPES STILL FUEL BOMBERS: SMITH

The prospect of an unlikely AFL finals charge has Essendon’s players fired up before their must-win clash with Gold Coast.

The Bombers will attempt to rekindle their faint finals hopes when they take on the Suns at Metricon Stadium on Saturday night.

Essendon were one of the form teams of the competition, winning five of six games, before last week’s 16-point loss to Collingwood.

Sitting 12th on the ladder with a 7-8 record, Devon Smith concedes there’s no margin for error for the Bombers, but there is still hope.

“We’ve got seven games to go and hopefully a (few) more,” Smith told reporters at Melbourne airport on Friday.

“What I do know is that we need to win to try to make finals. “They’re all important from here on.” The Bombers play strugglers the Suns, who are on a 10-game losing slide, then Fremantle before a tough run home which includes four of the current top eight teams.

Their cause wasn’t helped by the losses of Jake Stringer (calf) and Patrick Ambrose (hamstring) against the Pies, but Orazio Fantasia will make a welcome return from a groin injury.

Smith will look to continue an impressive debut campaign with Essendon after crossing from GWS in the off-season.

The 25-year-old has played every game this year and leads the AFL in tackles laid (126) having been given more time in the midfield.

“Early in the year I just got on a roll with really,” he said of his high tackle numbers.

“I’m probably a barometer for our group (with that) so I put it on my shoulders a bit in our midfield.

“I’ve been going really well with it … it’s what I rate my game on week to week.

“I think I was a pretty good pressure player at the Giants but I was pigeon- holed as a small forward.

“A new lease on life has really helped.” Despite their run of losses, Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew stuck with the same 22 that lost by 37 points to North Melbourne.

3 Likes

They easily accounted for Hawthorn earlier this year at the ‘Gabba, so I reckon they’re more than a rough chance. They’ve played some good footy lately, too!

Yep, the Lions are playing well and Fagan would love nothing more than to get another one over the “master” coach BUT … oh, sorry. This thread is for the day dreamers who BELIEVE (I so loved the 2003 Peter Pan movie when kids throughout the world cry out in their sleep, “I believe (!)”, enlivening Pan from his funk as he duly goes about the fun of schooling Hook)!

We need to be beat these coasters by 50 to a 100 points. Our % is woeful.

2 Likes

If North win, Sydney then become vulnerable with only 1 gimme game in their run home.
We also play Sydney, so can pick up a game there.

Sydney have probably the most difficult run home, and no form at present…

3 Likes

Sydney are completely weakened in their structure by a loss of form and by injuries, now is the best time.

Looking like the Lions might do us a favour!

4 Likes

If I squint really hard, and turn my head slightly to the left, I can see a faint glimmer of hope. :wink:

3 Likes

Until we essington it against the suns tonight!

They did. But Hawks still have Carlton, Free and St Kilda to come.
The others are Geelong, us and Sydney.

Even if we beat them, they’re still a reasonable chance to scrape to 13 wins.

Not a bad round of results with our finals chances improving slightly due to Hawthorn, North and Geelong all losing. The only negative was GWS beating Richmond, which makes them harder to catch.

We still need to overtake 4 of the following 6 teams:

• Adelaide. We should have them covered given their draw and percentage.
  • North. Probably the next most vulnerable with tough games coming up against Collingwood and West Coast.
  • Melbourne. Could also drop their next two games again Geelong (in Geelong) and Adelaide (in Adelaide).
  • GSW. Has Port (in Adelaide) next and Sydney and Melbourne in R22 and 23.
  • Hawthorn and Geelong. Still look pretty safe despite their loses unless they drop a ‘winable’ game or a couple of 50/50s.

We really need Brisbane (or the Bulldogs) to take a couple more top 8 scalps.

2 Likes

North and Port go down… Nice

That’s with us winning every game. Geelong only winning 2 more, including a loss to the Lions. Hawks losing to us and Sydney. All pretty unlikely

They certainly do Ollie, … they certainly do.

Para! Classy. :wink:

1 Like

Mmm, … luvs me some Para.

1 Like