The Inevitable Rebuild

Football has a business and finance side that needs to be run professionally. Thanks Reboot, for taking the time to state the bleeding obvious.

Now to the issue. Fifteen other clubs, (not including the expansion teams), could find the resources to both run a corporate entity, win a final in the last 17 years and not be fined millions of dollars for drug use. Amongst those clubs are basket cases North and Brisbane.

Essendon has financial backing and corporate networks the envy of most AFL clubs. Performing above average in those areas should be a doddle for a club like Essendon, and should never be celebrated at the expense of performing equally well on the field.

3 Likes

This is the question that needs to be asked of everyone at the club:

Is {x} going to help get us to a flag in Y timeline, better than the next guy?

If not… see ya.

2 Likes

Are you a digital native marketing leading thought leader?

Even ‘Win a final’.

1 Like

Even ‘Win 4 games in a row’.

5 Likes

I just love the mixing of tenses, and odd mix of “and” / “&”

It looks like an undergrad uni project written by 3 international students.

3 Likes

I hadn’t noticed this and now I’m madder.

It makes NO SENSE to put ampersands in body copy.

2 Likes

It makes substantially less sense to put them in some bits and not others. Just… pick.

“Create high performance people culture”
You could almost argue this implies people should be good at their jobs. Almost, Luckily there’s nothing binding.

3 Likes

I’d rather us have 40k members, rattle tins and win finals/be half decent than have 70k members and be a running joke on field every year

My point is, on field success is more important than off field

10 Likes

How real was his desire to go there though?
We gave him a big nudge in West Coast’a direction back in 2012 or whenever it was and he still wanted to stay. So maybe he wouldn’t have wanted to go anyway

Pfft everyone knows you only have 3 strategic themes.

9 what was that one each for the participants at the round table that came up with this.

1 Like

Four wins in a row? Honestly, at this point I’d settle for one of our strategic themes to be:

‘Punch James Sicily in that turd he’s using for a head this Saturday.’

4 Likes

I would be happy with ‘beat a team who is odds on to win the spoon’

4 Likes

Stringer v Sicily might be entertaining and enticing.

1 Like

4 wins in a row? yr dreamin’

Fark… I’d be happy with play 4 quarters of consistent footy… or even 3 quarters of consistent footy.

4 Likes

Review would go something like this:

2 Likes

According to worsfold in the press conf after the game we did well in 3 quarters against Melbourne. Apparently it was only the third quarter at issue.

This is a massive red flag for me. Our coaches are deadset blind (or delusional) if they think any of that match was acceptable.

3 Likes

…and if any 1st year accounting or finance student suggested that the goal was to ‘maximise investments’ rather than maximising ROI or ROE they would quite rightly fail that question.

They must supply complimentary meth in the coaching box these days.