The Inevitable Rebuild

An Alistair Clarkson type is what I should have said.

1 Like

McGrath will be a mid, actually spent time in the middle in the 18s unlike Langford and Laverde

This draft coming up is full of inside midfielders, although of varying quality. If a decent inside mid isn’t available I’d love a gut running outside mid with good skills although those are some of the hardest to find.

If you have a strong stomach was the coaches review… literally starts with “i was rapt how we played”. Talks about the first half like we rolled gold. You know the half we dominated but fluffed so mnany cchances and were only up by six. The half that was unwatchable in its pure crapfest skills. Our coach was rapt with that half. If that isnt reason for instasacking… i dont know what is.

6 Likes

Must frustrating part? We are so used to being so dismal we don’t even realise how pathetic we have become. Of course we need a rebuild… yet another rebuild… most teams have a least SOME success before needing a rebuild… but not us… we just stay on the loop. Crap year, not so crap year, crap year, crap year, rebuild, crap year, barely crap year, crap year, rebuild, crap year…

Some teams have been up and down and back up the ladder since our last finals win… and yet we still have nuffies that think woosha is going to turn it around.

Exactly WHAT about Woosha makes you think he has any clue or any hope of turning this around? What team has he developed from scratch before? What rebuild did he oversee that was successful? All I know is that he left WCE (was pushed out) and they have gone from strength to strength after he left… the guy is a bust. Yet another punishment forced onto us by the AFL. Perhaps that was part of the “deal” to save our players… we have to take Woosha?! But then they went and got the players anyway… lose lose for us I guess.

To rebuild the list will take another 5 years… by then the players we JUST rebuilt with will be gone… it is just too much to bear.

Maybe if we bundled both together, maybe Eagles or Freo would give us a second rounder

Maybe

1 Like

Those videos are nothing more than fluff and a waste of time.

I’d be staggered if the coaches were happy about any part of Sunday’s game, maybe bar a few individual players

But if they were, than we are more ■■■■■■ than we think

Yeah, I agree but he said the words. I mean… he could have used a lot of other words but he didn’t. He used the words “rapt” in relation to our performance. Rapt.

It may be fluff and that is fine… but when does it become lies and deceit? I can understand (not really but trying) if they don’t want to give us the full story on an injury… or lay bare a player struggles or talk about internal politics/strife. I can also forgive not wanting to pot a player or talk about our ‘game plan’.

Then there are situations where there is no need to lie and thus if you say something… you should friggen mean it. Our senior coach was, according to his own words, rapt with our performance in the first half. Not satisfied, not relieved because it was a better start than previous weeks… no he was ‘rapt’ with it. At no point did he mention the lack of skills or the fact that we missed some gilt edged chances. No, simply that he was “rapt” with it.

I would be really disappointed if our players were told at half time “we are rapt with what you are doing… keep it up”… that probably sums up the 3rd quarter. From the opposition we heard that they thought the first half was a “shambles” and they “panicked with the ball” and “skills were severely lacking”… so that is what the Dees thought of their first half and boy did they rectify it in the second. Our boys were ‘rapt’ with the first half and still can’t understand how they got blitzed in the second!!

A footy team shouldn’t go to pieces with a coach laying down some reality… and if we do then get better players because fair dinkum. There is a reason why we have lost every single 3rd quarter this year and it is a bigger indictment than many want to admit. Half time is where good coaches earn their keep on game day… the biggest chance to rectify the wrongs etc etc and ‘fire up’ the group to finish the game strong. Our squad comes out listless and disinterested…and promptly gets outworked, outcoached and outpositioned… make of that what you will.

3 Likes

How about 4 goals in a row?

3 Likes

Lol, pure comedic gold. My sides hurt.

Don’t you recall how poor Jobe’s early years were? He was doing crap in our development program.

He only came good when he went outside the club and got his own personal trainer.

He was unfit & by his own admission lazy & carrying weight but I don’t believe he started getting outside coaching did he? I could absolutely buy the idea that our players were not as fit as some sides, that we didn’t seem to be up with some of the new innovations like altitude training or getting away with sending our players to Germany for experimental injection programs. I think its fair to say I was one of those leading the charge to get rid of Jackson for overseeing these areas neglected. I still maintain though that what set Jobe apart from Slattery is talent. Slatts could have had a better career than Jobe but ONLY if Jobe hadn’t done the work. No amount of development was going to see Slatts overtake Jobe once he was motivated.

Looking outside our club even those regarded as having the best development results still have multiple players every year not become AFL standard.

Agree with everything you say and truthfully Woosha saying the words “rapt” is a slap in the face to every supporter who spent money and time watching the game on Sunday

I am just hoping that all those videos is just part of the club’s PR/marketing crap they are so focused on these days. The club clearly thinks us supporters are just like some of our players and can’t handle brutal honesty.

Show it to the players over and over and show them the clip of Joel Selwood with Lindsay Thomas. To be fair to some players, you would need to know where they were on the ground and if they were aware of what was happening.

he took it on himself to go to a boxing trainer and get properly fit didnt he?

Again, ‘development’ is such an overreaching area - is it simply the talent from a kid turning into an adult? how much does team selection and actual AFL player handling affect the talent? Do we pamper too many of kids, or were they never gonna have the mental capacity to make it?

Or, was the player selected simply not the right one? Was he the wrong type?

Hence, total club examination and re-build from the bottom up is required.

Perhaps. Although I’m of the view that if we wanted him to go, and told him that he would have. He was in personal contact with Ross Lyon and apparently was very close. Anyway he stayed and he is a great player but if we wanted to go down the rebuild path and get best value for Cale that was the time.

1 Like

I know a lot of people don’t want him but I would be chasing Gaff very hard.

He’s just what we need.

That’s thrown me over the edge. Someone from the club needs to:

1. Publicly explain how or WHY this was left off, and
  2. To be fired for it. Has to! They’ve completely forgotten the whole point of the club! Right there is the perfect snapshot as to the difference between successful clubs and our current train wreck. Complete and utter incompetence.

IIRC James Hird said we were close to trading Hooker, and a couple of people from the club went round to see him and he wouldn’t let them in because he didn’t want to go, and he knew if he let them in, they would talk him into it.

Re ASADA, I believe the AFL were just as blindsided by the appeal as the club. They don’t like their plans to be upset by outsiders.

On fluff review videos, we are already heading into a media shitstorm, do you want the coach to give them more ammo by releasing a video of what they really think.

Yep and he is going under the radar this year aswell, currently going at just under 30 touches a game and has kicked 4 goals, we only have 1 midfielder who has kicked 4 or more so far this year and thats Smith

Hurley’s the one that would attract trade value. Would get two first rounders. Considering Hooker’s lost his value due to his age, not the worst idea to trade Hurley. One A grade player for five years or one (if you get two first rounders one will probably be good) A grade player for 12 years, I know what I’d prefer.