The Inevitable Rebuild

Yep, he’s averaged 29 touches a game for the four seasons now and he is a very good user of the ball.

A bloke that can run all day and rack up touches like him is just what we need.

Turns 26 next month so still young.

1 Like

If your core business, that is, the reason your organisations exists, is not your number one priority, then what are you trying to achieve?
Everything, and I mean everything, in every Essendon strategy, business plan, process, procedure and action should have winning premierships as it’s overarching priority.
That is the reason the club exists.
To not have winning premierships, or even fielding a successful side in the premier competition, as its highest strategy, speaks volumes to how off track the club has gone.
It would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

4 Likes

he is seriously the last sort of midfielder we need.

You forgot to say “in my opinion”

is that your opinion?

yesss

Hi guys.

The strategy sets out a benchmark for achieving an ultimate goal - not the ultimate goal.

As Simon Madden always says “You can’t plan to win a premiership, but you can put the team in the best possible place to win one”

3 Likes

I would have thought you can only have one ultimate goal? If you have more than one then it isnt “ultimate”

2 Likes

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ultimate

2 Likes

You make the error of thinking that he would play like that for our ■■■■ show of a club. He’d be running around in circles chasing chips like a half drunk seagull within 10 games.

4 Likes

Winning the flag is the reason for the clubs existance, whilst we should aim to be the best club we can be in everything we do, the sole reason for the club to exist is to win flags. Sure we can aim to make the world a better place, make the club excellent for the players and form all the ‘insert latest management wiesel word here’ with our supporters, sponsors and the like, but it all exists to win a flag.

All the other top clubs shown have some form of winning a flag in their strategy, it is the reason for existance. Leaving it out is as much a glearing omission as not having ‘stopping crime’ in a strategic plan for police.

If winning a flag and attracting the best players to the club are not in the focus of EVERY PERSON who works for the club, how can they question if what they are doing is driving this goal?

lol

We would in all likelihood ruin him.

He is a class act though.

We need players that can maintain shape and play to structures. That’s something he does very well.

If he were playing in Victoria he would be considered a star of the competition.

Essendon’s stretigic priorities

Hit more than 50% of targets by foot
Hit more than 60% of handballs < 1m away
Reduce Goddard dummy spits by 50%
Spend more on football department and less on legal fees
Retain all top draft picks regardless of whether they play until they retire through injury
Play Myers to protect the kids
Under no circumstances play form VFL players
Increase sideways kicks in the backline by 50%
Ensure all losses are followed by a statement that we are building a GREAT club.

8 Likes

Simon is correct in that the plan to achieve the strategy should not incorporate the goal. But whatever you want to call it, the North Star, the Vision, the Mission, the Goal, it has to be expressed.

And it shouldn’t be premierships. Everyone in the AFL is aiming for premierships.

We should be aiming to be recognized at the Laureas World Sports Awards as the best team in international sports.

That is a North Star.

You build your strategic plan around that North Star.

Best sports science. Best biomechanics. Best use of technology including big data, analytics and potentially machine learning. Best leadership. Best business management.

Cut no corners.

Compare ourselves against the Golden State Warriors, Real Madrid or the British Cycling team rather than our AFL counterparts.

3 Likes

Shut up and copy richmond you fool!

2 Likes

It must be a transferable “down in the dumps SAD, virus” if that were the case.

How many players who were part of the saga are still at the club? Hooker, Heppell, Hurley, Myers, Colyer, T’Bell. Have I missed anyone? That’s 6 out of 22.

I think its something else??? Unless the coaching team have caught it too.

In my opinion Melbourne are doing it the right way. Which is f*cking laughable.

The characteristics of our list is; oversensitive, soft, vulnerable, delicate, lazy, apathetic & uncompetitive.

Everything Melbourne (and Gold Coast) was.

They are still a long way from changing this mindset.
But we have shots ourselves in the foot with our focus on drafting well-behaved private school kids. Interestingly just like Melbourne did!

We should be targeting players from opposition clubs and the draft that are angry, fire in the belly, hate losing, competitive, love to get involved in a melee, must win, team focussed, loyal players.

We have one player like this, and he’s 33 years old.

The time for only drafting ‘good blokes’ is over.

You know that fire in the belly, angry 33 year old you’re talking about is a private school boy? I’d argue Smith has a lot of the attributes you’re talking about but he’s from a private school too.

We seem to look for leaders too…Where is all this leadership now?

Hurley and Heppell have turned into the worst kicks as has zakka at times, Joe is miles off. Goddard possibly the only one who seems that be playing ok. They don’t have to have been directly involved as suspended playera to have been affected, or after affected imo.
A lot of players who had to carry the load may be just as, maybe even more affected. They are all way down and not seemingly playing with much spirit. Could easily be a come down from a massive emotional effort and year in general last year. I don’t think it’s that far fetched . Just an opinion. Nothing else really makes any sense to me why we seem so bad and mentally just disappearing for large chunks of matches