The Inevitable Rebuild

Nope.

The average life span at AFL level is about 3 years. That means a huge % don’t cut it

Our problem is Dodoro has nailed the art of finding the ones that don’t cut it

1 Like

Don’t feed the trolls.

1 Like

Did he? I’ve always heard the opposite - I remember mark fine from sen tearing shreds off harvey in that he didn’t play players that had injuries that wouldn’t normally prevent them from playing. Fine then thought he was using these injuries as an excuse for their poor season to get out of being sacked.

sure they can all play. But that aint the point, and of course drafting/development is the unanswerable chicken v egg scenario.

The question is, can they play in a team better than most of the rest of the competition, trying to achieve the same thing? It is all relative.

Fact is, we are the worst club in the AFL, having gone the longest without a finals and win and TBO - we look the furthest away. This guy has been the one constant with various development and senior coaches.

Fans can only take so much, surely.

So how many rebuilds is this for Dudoro? 4 or 5? And still hasn’t built a list to win a single final.

Of the 22 that went out there today, I reckon you could say maybe 3-4 were able to produce at a level that we would expect from them, or better.
That means that 18-19 looked down on form. It has been this way basically all year.

Are they actually out of form?
Or are they all trying to play their assigned roles which do not suit their natural abilities?

I reckon some genius has come up with a gameplan on paper and then tried to force the cattle to follow it. Rather than developing a gameplan based on the cattle we have.

1 Like

The 2004-06 'Rebuild with Rejects" springs to mind… Cupido, Allan, Murphy, Zantuck, Camporeale, Michael, Prismall etc…

The 2006-08 'Pace rebuild", Atkinson, Dempsey, Davey, Lovett, Jetta, Reimers etc.

The 2010-11 “One paced forward’ rebuild”, Crameri, Hardingham, Melksham,

The 2013 “nuggety forward” rebuild… Dellolio, Kommer, Jerrett, O’Brien etc.

someone help me out with the next couple…

Surely Dodoro likes to take a ‘theme’ or ‘flavour’ to his list rejigging.

2 Likes

We have never had a full rebuild. We have had 4 or 5 minor ones under him.
Complete slash and burn needed. I wouldn’t be upset if 15-20 players were sent packing

Not unprecedented. There have been sides in recent years (Tigers, Blues, Melb spring to mind where 11 or 12 have left at the end of the season.).

Sent Pav out there for 6 weeks odd with a bung achilles and a sore hip, which inevitably broke properly. Pretty sure he played Fyfe injured for a big chunk too, which also led to surgery.

Yep cut the deadwood and in a good draft I’d seriously look at putting 1 or 2 of our older players up for trade if we could get something half decent for them

1 Like

1/2 - After Knights’ first year.

After that, board started putting heat on for results (sound familiar?), coach got cold feet on playing kids (sound familiar?), the old guys who weren’t very good in the first place didn’t get much better (sound familiar?), and ■■■■ fell apart (sound familiar?).

3 Likes

Because he has conned the club into believing that the list has been good for 20 years. Seriously, the club thought our list was good in 2007 and that was one of the reasons they appointed Knights over Dimma. Then they thought it was good in 2011 that’s why they appointed Hird.

Wait, the list manager didn’t want to have a rebuild, when he’d actually get a chance to pick kids, and have them played?
Doesn’t make any sense at all.

I’d put Hurley up.

1 Like

Re-build, re-tool, whatever. The point is that the club believes the core of the list has always been good and that there’s only a few adjustments that have to be made for the club to hit the next level. Hence the several “half-arsed not really a re-build” re-builds.

Nah.
Any more than about 10 and you’re cutting 20 year olds. The problem is not those guys, if anything it’s the fact those guys are not getting a look in.

Anyone 24+ and not clearly in the best 22: gone.

1 Like

I remember quite clearly back in 2016, probably a similar time of the year, when AFL 360 did a segment on what we as a club should do with our list for 2017 and beyond. David King suggested we could go for a complete reset and almost have an Expansion Draft, GWS style look at the next couple of drafts by trading away our most attractive players and also letting Cale Hooker walk via Free Agency, as he was I contracted for 2017 and Freo we’re heavily courting him. In letting Hooker walk, trading Hurley and some of the others that were on the list at that time, we could’ve had the first 2 picks of the draft (Pick 1 finishing last and Pick 2 as FA compo for Hooker), plus an additional top 10 Pick, plus maybe a future 1st round pick for Hurley as well. Then trading the likes of Hibberd, Colyer, Myers, Bellchambers, etc would add some 2nd/3rd round picks. I was ecstatic that 10 of the 12 recommitted to the club, but if we hadve gone down the clean slate path, would we be in a better situation to set up for sustained success than we are now?

See the thing about rebuilds is you need to go to the draft and pick good players. McGrath, Laverde, Langford, Redman, Morgan, Parish, Francis has been our last few years 1st and 2nd picks. You can rebound quickly but not when you produce those kind of numbers.

100% with you there

I don’t see that as being Dodoro’s decision though. It may be - but it shouldn’t be.

Same as I don’t necessarily think all the coaching problems this year are wholly down to Worsfold et al - for some reason, there’s clearly an expectation that the best 22 is up to it, and if we play them, everything will be fine.

To me they’re both the same problem, the club has absolutely zero feel of where they’re at.

2 Likes