The Inevitable Rebuild

I completely agree that it’s not ALL of Dodoro’s fault, there’s something seriously wrong at the club. They need to decide whether we want to actually rebuild and fully commit to it because our core, ie. the players who returned from suspension, aren’t what they were anymore. A quick re-tool won’t help because we don’t have the young talent either.

Dodoro has been the list manager for 20 years and even though he’s not the entire problem, someone who hasn’t been successful in any role for that period of time should have questions asked about them. It seems like Merv Keane will move on at the end of the year so we will get a new recruiter in. I don’t think anyone can justify Dodoro getting another shot at it, but he will because he was just promoted last year. He’s not going anywhere, unfortunately.

Is merv even back at work yet?

We’ve been crap for the last 15 years yeah? I think they showed it in the paper last weekend, from 2005-17 we have averaged less than 9 wins a season and an average ladder position of 11th-12th. The one constant throughout that whole period in terms of football department staff is Adrian Dodoro. Any club worth their salt would’ve sent him on his way 5-6 years ago minimum. We all lauded his work in the trade period but overall we have a hugely imbalanced list with a dearth of quality ball winning midfielders. Anytime with half a clue could work that out. Where was the succession planning to say “hang on, Jobe, BJ, Stants, etc are all getting older, let’s get some mids in?” rather than recruiting project half-back/half-forwards who we might be able to develop into midfielders?

1 Like

So you want to gut list and then be in Carltons posistion where they look like decades away from winning anything.

I gaurantee if we inject 1 or 2 big insides mid fortunes will change very quickly.

After Round 1 this year, I’d say you were insane. But after the last 7 weeks, I’m right with you. Would be worth shopping around. He got that big 4 or 5 yr deal though during the height of the ‘saga’ though didn’t he - which could be problematic, but depending on timing, it might only be 1 year to worry about. Could you get a 1st round pick for Hurley?

Goddard and Baguley - retirements
Myers, J.Merrett, Dea, Leunberger - delisted (perhaps Colyer and Brown if they don’t get fit and prove their worth)
Test the market with Zaharakis and Hurley (for ‘currency’) + Ambrose, Laverde (Francis if he still wants to go home), and Green.

There’s 14, which in all honesty probably becomes 9 or 10. Good enough “list clean” for mine.

Goddard, Leunberger, Baguley, Jerrett, Dea, Hartley, Bellchambers, McKernan, McNeice, Brown, Myers would all be cut immediately.
Look at trades for Colyer, Hurley, Hooker, Laverde, Langford and even Heppell.
Play the 3rd and 4th year players for remainder of the year and see what we have

From all reports Hurley was very close to joining the Dogs but decided to stick with the club and you want to trade him? crazy.

Loyalty in footy is very rare these day and you want ot get rid of players like that

Essendon dont do rebuilds, we are too conservative in everything we do

Except supplement programs

I thought that too as I was watching the Elimination Final last year. After 8 rounds this year, I no longer think that. The problem is, they had the dellusion of thinking Stringer could be one - and big inside midfielders don’t grow on trees. Look at the kids coming through too…Mutch, Guelfi…even Langford, Parish et al…none of them are ever going to be that player type.

Look at Cripps - only 10% or so bigger than Merrett - makes a world of difference (195 & 93 vs 180 and 80). That’s where Jobe had that ideal physique for that role you’re talking about (Lacking pace of course). I’d love to know if anyone knows more than me about the VFL prospects…do any of them have the Cripps-like size?

I have no idea, I presumed he was.

I don’t think we’ll have to go that extreme because we still have some decent young talent on the list, which they didn’t. There’s no point meandering along for another 5 years fighting to be a side that finishes 7th or 8th, only to get pumped first week of finals. That’s exactly what we’ve been doing for the past decade.

Our stars aren’t stars any more. We need to rebuild from the midfield.

Sure, we’ll just grab two of something we haven’t managed to acquire for over a decade and we’ll be off and away. No worries.

1 Like

if you could bottle the club’s problem into one post, this is it.

Well done!

1 Like

I’m tired of being nice, and I’m tired of our club being nice. I love Hurls, but sometimes you need to cash in your chips, or know which chess pieces to sacrifice. Might be one step back for two steps forward.

Jack Bytel or Jackson Hately

One of them goes with out first pick

Big deal when it was signed, but there’s been a 15% odd salary cap rise since then.
I think he signed for $3M over 5, it’s not stupid money by any stretch.

To late for that now if we wanted to cash on Hurley we should had traded him when he was thinking of changing clubs

Fark me, this is why the club won’t achieve anything because there’s people at the club who think like this. Yes, loyalty is important but to a point. You still have to have a ruthlessness about your list and that’s why Hawthorn had the balls to get rid of their greats like Mitchell, Hodge, and Lewis.

My point wasn’t that there have been no opportunities to get big inside midfielders for the last 10+ years.

Well this years draft there is.

We are miles away from winning anything now. Could add Buddy, Dusty and Rance to this team and we wouldn’t be competitive. Far too many holes in our list

2 Likes