The Inevitable Rebuild

The only holes I see is in the midfield if we had a midefiled that is able to win contested footy and apply tackles our back and forwards wouldn’t be under so much pressure.

There always are, somewhere. We don’t take them, either because we can’t spot them or don’t rate them.

Ambrose nup. Probably on about $9.50 a week. Wouldn’t get you more than a 3rd rounder. Would tackle the 8:15 limited express to Flinders St for the jumper. Nup nup nup. Nuppity nup nup.

I agree in general: about 10-12 this year. The acid test is the following year, when and if things start to look a little rosier. Do we cut again… or get arrogant ??

2 Likes

The 2009 draft still kills me…
Melksham at #10, whilst Fyfe went at #20.
Colyer at #26, whilst Gunston went at #29.
Carlisle at #24, whilst Gawn went at #34
A.Long at #34, whilst Sam Reid went at #38

DISCLAIMER: of course, hindsight is such a beautiful thing!..

And of course 2006, with the Good Ol’ Gumbie. Taken at #2, whilst players none other than Boak, Joel Selwood, James Frawley, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy, Tom Hawkins all went afterwards.

nothing you can do about a Gumby situation though

Two good games from him for memory - vs the Saints at Docklands, and one good Anzac Day game. That’s all I remember of him. Yep, had the looks of someone to be the next Nick Riewoldt but had the hamstrings and back of a nursing home patient.

1 Like

Shop Hurley and Hooker. They are either unfit, unskilled or disinterested. We dont have any high picks in 2019 draft and need to trade.

We don’t?

We’re only a Langford-shaped hole away from greatness.

2 Likes

We just need to draft our two best players and we’ll be dangerous again.

1 Like

Hooker is still more than handy. But Hurley, yes would see at least if there is a sniff of interest. We managed to keep our first round pick for the upcoming draft, so right now it should be Pick #1, 2, 3 or 4. Then I think the next pick would be in the #60s after that. I think the 2nd and 3rd round picks were both given up last trade period.

We’ve got gws’ 2nd round pick.

Which could still be in the 60s, honestly. The collingwood recruiting manager said last week they’re expecting up to 23 academy/FS/NGA player bids this year.

Good - well the way they’re travelling at the moment that might be pick in the mid-late 20s for us.

Well I’m not sure how that works? Totally uneven playing field if that is the case.

A bit of hyperbole on it being in the 60s, but in 2016 our second round pick went back 4 spots, and our 3rd rounder 6. Add in some free agent compensation, and a late second round pick could conceivably get pushed back 8 or 10 spots depending on who has access to the players. It’s ridiculous.

Jack Reiwoldt… why the ■■■■ even mention that scum bag

Melksham is actually contributing at Melbourne. Seems we are good at ruining players.

A good thread discussion actually - who has been better after leaving us during/post saga? Yes, Melksham perhaps better. Ryder better, Carlisle worse, Hibberd - same, perhaps slightly better. Crameri - we’ll never know coz of injury.

I thought Hibbered is actually playing really well for Melbourne atm
better than when he was with us imo