The Inevitable Rebuild

Ive said it multiple times, Ill say it again. That little renaissance of our last season was the worst thing to happen to us.

At any point will the marketers running our club roll up the sleeves and get us back on track?

Full or semi-rebuild? Im utterly convinced in the former. There is nothing close to a flag with our current mob of players and coaches.

1 Like

You donā€™t need a full rebuild. Players are good enough whether you agree or not, it is the coaching that is the biggest problem.

well I dont agree, but ill let the facts prove that in time.

Yes, Coaching has to change - and has to be done quickly. We need a major review to see who we go forward with and that can be done concurrently through the season. The usual suspects can see some VFL time if their egoā€™s allow them to fit in the VFL clubrooms.

Giving a new coach a season to do this is only going to prolong the inevitableā€¦it has been too long already.

when you build something on flawed foundations - it is only a matter of time until you need to rip that thing down and do it again, properly.

The ONLY thing is question is how long it is going to take us to wake up to reality.

And i stayed to the end today. I watched every second. I will continue to attend & supportā€¦but this reality is inevitable.

1 Like

IF a rebuild is done
THEN we canā€™t let Dudoro have another opportunity to fk it up for the third time

obviously. Goes without saying.

A total club re-build. No quick fixes, no snake oil salesman.

Just think if weā€™d given Myers last 10 games to Clarke, a player who can run both ways.

Or if we delisted Zaka and played Clarke instead of him

Bad decision making starts at the top.

1 Like

We are farmed for key posts.

Hooker, Hurley seem to be getting close to spent forces.
Brown, mckernan Hartley and Stewart are battlers.
JD - see how the groin pulls up.

Who have we got coming through? Zerk and Francis?

yep, the list has massive issues and we have seemingly overrated a bunch of state level battlers.

We need key position players, and a few of em - but you just have to get in mids and mids and mids, and high level ones with our first rounderā€¦oh wait.

I posted this at the start of last season, 2 afl seasons ago:

Come at me - what has changed?

Why is this club groundhog day? when is anybody at the club going to grow a set and make the real hard decisions?

The list is, IMHO a shambles. It has not been built correctly and we have a demographic issue. A massive one relying on one ZT and a player under serious injury concerns. We have a Ruck a key position crisis - we need to recruit/develop at AFL level key backs, key forwards and ruck all whilst the midfield is simply not good enough when the heat is on. Too many fringe players with no tools to realistically take us far. We keep too many players on the list too long. Always have.

We are in a diabolical situation. How, with the physical condition of Hooker and Hurley has ZT played 1 game this season? How were so many injured or out of form players given so much rope?

So many of our players are not built for the month that matters. We have thrown two first rounders at a very underwhelming ā€˜starā€™ who just panics everything. He is simply not tough or fights enough in close to be able to have total disregard for his disposal and decision making.

We have committed to SSSS - but the club should have gone backwards to the drawing board to fix fundamental issues with the makeup and demographic of the list.

How can we sit here with straight faces and back in our head recruiter after now heading 15-16 years without a finals win? Not a flag, a FINALS WIN. It is just embarassing watching a so-called head coach sit on the bench like a statue. If he is coaching this time on match day, I am the pope. Just rid us of him now. This contract extension of his is just another handbrake.

We are a joke with an executive and board with their collective heads you-know-where.

8 Likes

We just brought in 4 players from other clubs that are in their prime right now.

No chance we go into full rebuild.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s both players who just arenā€™t going to be good enough should be moved onā€¦but fark me even the current day Tigers would get smashed playing that purid game style dished out this year. TIME TO CHANGE THE COACH

Agreed.
I might be delusional but Iā€™m still convinced the list is good enough (or close to good enough) if:

• we get a better fitness department
  • the coaching panel is improved significantly
  • Draper becomes the player we think he is/was going to be
4 Likes

I am 100% convinced that a different coach using the Hawthorn ethos would win finals with this list.

1 Like

The list is fine.

Its the use of the players and the disconnect with the game plan we are trying to implement.

1 Like

Yep, spot on. Thereā€™s some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going on here to think that this list will take us forward.

1 Like

To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, the list is pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  far from fine.

The only thing that is becoming clearer with each passing year is that our drafting and development program is turning out far too many barely fit, lazy, poorly skilled, shocking decision-making, physically weak footballers who do not possess the psychological makeup to compete with the best teams.

We are not close to any type of success.

Not even a little bit.

7 Likes

I donā€™t have any problems with the list aside from our inability to keep them fit. I have big problems with game plan and selection decisions. Iā€™m trying to be patient and see this as teething issues, but thatā€™s getting increasingly difficult. Earlier in the season I thought the issue was the players werenā€™t playing for the coach, but that doesnā€™t seem to be it either.

Worsfold was the right man for the job post-saga, he took us through a very tough time. After last season I was positive about the direction we were heading, the second half of the season was highly encouraging, this season we seem to have gone backwards. I donā€™t think heā€™s the guy to take us forward tactically, but then maybe this is why Caracella is being brought in.

I think Worsfoldā€™s strength is man management so maybe his role is in more of a director of coaching role and maybe thatā€™s what weā€™re actually doing without the title. Thereā€™s been a lot of talk that Caracella has no ambitions of a senior coach position, maybe this is the way of getting the best of both worlds.

1 Like

I disagree.

If Clarko took over as coach from Bomber then we would be competing for a flag already.

We are far too conservative in so many facets its not funny.

2 Likes

Apart from a quality ruckman, no inside mids & a continuing absence of anything resembling a wingman yeah, the list is great.

3 Likes