The Infrastructure Thread

@dingus started it by posting an image of foxy a comedian.

Glad they’re tackling the hard things for a change. This underground loop was definitely something I would have been greatful for in my time in Melbourne. Get this stuff going and the let the Libs build their east/west road link and finish the road loop when they have their turn. Why not have both?

1 Like

My favourite comments from yesterday where we shouldnt build it becuase drones. Apparently drones will change everything so much by the time it’s built we shouldn’t bother.

Exactly. That was my point.

Wut? In that case, . you don’t actually have one.

Right…?

I saw some interesting articles from the pre City loop days recently which were reporting on Melbourne Uni planning experts complaining about the City loop and denying the need for it. There will always be short sighted people I guess

Learn to read. And think.

I think, … you’re a bit thick, … if you think that has anything to do with what this is for.

Yeah these were people commenting on the age articles not experts.

Use your words, gentle neighbours.
There’s no need for any of that.

I agree re the suburban rail loop. Would take a lot of pressure off the road if people knew they didn’t have to go right into the city to catch a train on another line. At the moment the Craigieburn line is partially suspended due to the level crossing removal at Buckley St in Essendon. Some community outrage given that many thought that the rail line would be moved underground but instead they are putting the road underneath the existing rail line and basically digging a massive hole through Buckley St. Westbound will only be 1 lane. Will be interesting to see how the solution works once completed. Rail line will be out of action for another week so having to get the 59 tram into work, which isn’t too bad…

1 Like

30 posts in, and there’s already an argument.

And Diggers’ dirty talk.

This place.

5 Likes

THAT, is what it is for.

Getting from say Eltham to Ringwood w/out having to go in and out of the City, not going from Dandenong to the Airport Via the thing.

Would have thought it’s purpose was obvious.

1 Like

drink.

I’m enjoying the irony of a thread on “infrastructure” being “derailed”.

8 Likes

Absolutely, it’s about the implementation of it.

We’re lucky to have the rail infrastructure we do have in this state (well, what’s not been ripped up) as the outlay was made in a time prior to the motor vehicle and when the state was ridiculously wealthy in the 19th century. I think maybe 40% of it still exists. We’re also lucky the trams weren’t ripped up entirely in the early 60’s. Roads are necessary but the thinking has been swayed so far towards vehicular infrastructure an option I’m pretty sure is cheaper and easier to implement by politicians wanting votes.

The Easy West link shouldn’t be a discussion about if, but when and how to do it properly. From memory the Liberal proposal was problematic and nepotistic but I could be wrong. Anyhow, growing up in Glen Iris, it amazes me that the Monash and the South Eastern Fwys didn’t even link up and when they did, Warragul Rd still had traffic lights and an intersection from memory for a while.

1 Like

But has there been accusations of Nazism yet?

1 Like

Godwin’s Law is never far away.

Look at it this way: we’re going to add millions of people over this time frame.

Spokes (rail or road) won’t cope. You need to build up those outer residential / educational / occupational hubs. This makes them available to much bigger catchments.

It’s interesting that yesterday’s release (as vague as it was) appeared to focus on heavy rail. Here’s an alternative suggestion:

1 Like

I live in inner-ish North and work outer-ish South East. I want this now!

It lacks stops in the Western Suburbs though

1 Like