The Infrastructure Thread

I do remember on this, … the last Labor Gov prioritising LCR’s based on accident and Death figures, … then the Libs getting in, and moving funding from most of those classed as most dangerous, to many that were way down that list, … that happened to be in Lib seats.

Not at all true

Pretty sure it is.

1 Like

The NBN is an argument for going private?

That’s an interesting POV

1 Like

Sorry I should clarify - maybe that had an influence on which 50 they picked, but the order in which they did them was purely political

Of course they say that.

Reality is a lot of the sites are chosen for political purposes

First 3 that got done over my side of the city (Lilydale/ringwood line) definitely weren’t. All in pretty safe Lib seats. Think Blackburn Rd was the first one complete.

This. When I visited China in 2000 Beijing and Shanghai had a handful of subway lines between them. That number is now in the dozens most of which was in place for the Olympics in 08.

Just get on with it.

2 Likes

Blackburn is in Deakin federally (was marginal at the time) and the works started just prior to a federal election. Same with Heatherdale

To be clear I’m not saying it’s totally corrupt. It’s good politics to tackle the obvious black spot ones. But they do have the flexibility to target some non essential ones as well.

It’s a well designed political program.

The infrastructure is needed

It creates jobs

They have enough flexibility to pork barrel.

2 Likes

So it turns out Tim Pallas announced a while back that it will now cost $6.9 Billion, … which is an extra Bill give or take, on the original “Estimate” of $6 Bill.

As far as “Estimates” go as to final cost in the Construction World, … you’d be pretty happy with that percentage extra IME.

Hell, … you’d be lucky to get out of a build with that %age in “Extras” even from a quoted job, … especially a Reno, … Lol.

Hard to split cost over run and scope increase as well.

1 Like

Yep.

It’s not one project, it’s essentially 50 projects being done under one banner. I don’t doubt a good number of them are running over budget, some are probably on budget, some are probably under.

1 Like

You mean the suburbs that don’t matter…

Look at the ring road under sunshine Avenue. How the ■■■■ is it still 2 lanes after 5 years?

I would be interested in the detail.
Thanks for checking thou

1 Like

you overestimate me.

bad example, yes. but you catch my drift, yeah? where’s the accountability for missing budgets and timelines, it’s not there because half the time we don’t know.

I would also like to know what the tender cost was for the rail under option. i.e John Holland’s original costings for there proposal. I wouldn’t imagine it being much different.