The Jake Long thread

If I was a recruiter I would be checking opposition fan based threads like this.....so much for keeping him on the down low

I'm reasonably sure Hawthorns checks my thread each year.

We should've got Puopolo.

Assuming we haven't been "hiding" him, is there any real evidence he's even good enough for a rookie slot?

If the ASADA investigation has taught us anything it's that evidence is irrelevant when you start with a preconceived outcome. With that in mind, we're definitely on the right track with this thread although maybe it should be re-titled 'how many Brownlow Jake Long win?'.

Not sure about Brownlows, but I'm thinking multiple Norm Smiths.

Bump

Is he actually any good? 

Or just because he has Long as a surname, we must have him.

The last Long wasn't exactly anything special.

Bump

Reckless, low impact & high contact.

Drawing 225 demerit points. Early guilty plea reduces it to 193.25, due to previous good record, Benfti can accept a one week suspension and 32.5 points to his future record.

Is he actually any good?

Pretty sure he did quite well when we played him as 23rd man late in the year?

Is he actually any good? 

jake is good

Bump

Drawing 225 demerit points. Early guilty plea reduces it to 193.25, due to previous good record, Benfti can accept a one week suspension and 32.5 points to his future record.

■■■■ that, I'm taking the deal from ASADA

Bump

fark that, I'm taking the deal from ASADA

Are you saying you would prefer $1million over a one week suspension?

One player has nominated under the provisions of the Father-Son Rookie Pre-Selection Rule: Jack Long, son of Michael.

Thank god we got young longy

One player has nominated under the provisions of the Father-Son Rookie Pre-Selection Rule: Jack Long, son of Michael.

■■■■ WE NOMINATED THE WRONG ONE

We haven't yet.

If someone else wants them, they can take him in the National Draft. I doubt anyone will take him in the ND, but it is still a possibility.

Or we've done today is put dibs on him if he is available it the rookie draft.

We haven't yet.

If someone else wants them, they can take him in the National Draft. I doubt anyone will take him in the ND, but it is still a possibility.

this makes me think of anthony long, was there any genuine chance of him being drafted by anyone else when took him at 30 odd

Hope he’s better than anthony

We haven't yet.

this makes me think of anthony long, was there any genuine chance of him being drafted by anyone else when took him at 30 odd

apart from the fact that we aren't going to use a 2nd round draft pick on Jake, if we end up getting it will now be our final rookie draft selection

Anthony was a good junior.

He was rated and we got him at about where we should have I think... from memory.

Hope he's better than anthony

I hope he's better than Michael

He was rated and we got him at about where we should have I think... from memory.

IMHO we reached for him - he was a late round or rookie pick in my book, but we took him with a second rounder.  But the pick we took him with was our last live pick.

Personally I was hoping we'd take Christiansen with that pick and try to get Long in the rookie draft, but there were whispers that Sydney had their eye on Long and I think the club was gunshy about losing another famous name to a rival club after passing over Rioli a couple of years previously.

IMHO we reached for him - he was a late round or rookie pick in my book, but we took him with a second rounder.  But the pick we took him with was our last live pick.

Personally I was hoping we'd take Christiansen with that pick and try to get Long in the rookie draft, but there were whispers that Sydney had their eye on Long and I think the club was gunshy about losing another famous name to a rival club after passing over Rioli a couple of years previously.

And fair enough too...

[font='Helvetica Neue']One player has nominated under the provisions of the Father-Son Rookie Pre-Selection Rule: Jack Long, son of Michael.[/font]
[font='Helvetica Neue']Thank god we got young longy[/font]

We haven't yet.

I *hate* this sort of post. How would any of us know what any other club was thinking?
We liked him and took him with our last live pick.
Who could have foreseen the injuries?
Whenever anyone feels like going with the "no other club was going to take him" line, please look at the Gleeson thread post his being drafted. 20 pages of "no one was going to draft him, should have got him at 78".
You *want* your drafting team to have done their own homework and to back their judgement.