The mental health thread

I’m not sure anybody was really advocating for it as a proper solution.

This thread is about personal experiences, and to pretend that battles / dilemmas with self medicating and addiction don’t play a big part in many people’s battle, is silly.

I personally wouldn’t recommend it as any type of long term solution, but sometimes with mental illness, short term solutions are just as important.

2 Likes

psychoactive substances should be the last thing you should consider if your not 100%.

leave medication to the experts.

the attitude of self medicating and keeping to yourself rather than seeking professional help is one of the most dangerous cultural norms in aussie society.

feel like ■■■■ physically or mentally. go see your doc.

even if it just ends up a chat.
or call beyond blue.

3 Likes

you know someone could read hey smoke some pot to feel better, they could smoke some then slip into a psychosis and do themselves or others serious harm.

(same with someone drinking a skinful when they arent well as well - I am not commenting from a wowsers/anti drug point of view).

My opinion is that it is an incredibly stupid thing to recommend or do when you are suffering from poor mental health or have the predisposition too if you do not look after your health.

1 Like

Nobody recommended anything.

People were discussing experiences.

Good on you, though.

1 Like

All well and good to say leave it to the experts with the amount of prescription drug addicts out there. Professionals ■■■■ up too.

I would still trust a professional over little Tommy buying plants off Harry down the road.
No one would suggest professionals are infallible, but they’re a lot less fallible than going it on your own.

Going it on your own is probably the reason for most bad things, drug related. Having a good support group can lead to every experience being better.

Your own pot use to combat Mania is somethibg I’d be really careful about advocating. Not that you have, but if someone is reading that you have some sort of success doing that might just give it a try.

I think it could have much worse consequences. ie cause more problems than it solves.

all the other advice I thought you gave in this thread has been pretty top notch.

Like I said pot is sensational for chronic pain relief and a much better alternative than opiode painkillers like Morphine or for poor people Heroin. So it has its place. I just strongly disagree in its use for treating mental health.

the psychoactive properties in it are at odds with a healthy mind. got to be soooo careful.

Vanders what’s your thoughts on MDMA and it’s place in helping patients with PTSD

Ok. My last response to you on this topic, as this isn’t the point of this thread. (You wanna keep going, Pm me.)

I have no issue with you giving your opinion, but the fact that you are framing it from a place of authority is annoying me. You’ve said too many blatantly incorrect things for that to be the case.

The science is actually far from consensus on this topic. (Annoyingly so, in my opinion.) You’ll find something to back up both sides of the argument if you go looking for it.

Psychoactive doesn’t automatically equal ‘bad for brain.’ Low THC strand cannibis is used - legally and medically - to treat Anxiety. (Incoming’s post further up is bang on the money). MDMA is being used to treat PTSD. There is a large volume of anicdotel evidence of Ayahuasca successfully addressing mental health, which isn’t surprising, as Amazonian tribes have been using it for that very reason, for thousands of years.

I appreciate that your heart is in the right place here, and I appreciate your concern. (I mean that, too.) But I’ll give you the two reasons why I used cannibis to starve off Mania

1. Because two medical professionals gave me the all clear to use that method. (Me. For my personal condition. Not recommending it, as that clearly needs to be restated.)

2. Because it works.(For me)

Even that response was too much. Let’s get this thread off this topic, as it’s not what this thread is for.

4 Likes

Part 6. (Final)
PTSD. My journey with posttraumatic stress disorder.
In my rehab they set strategies and discussed topics such as an exercise program, relaxation methods, relationship skills where my wife would join me, sleep management and living skills. I also participated in a PTSD Therapy Group with other veterans. I found this very benefit as we discussed key issues relative to PTSD such as trust, self-esteem, identity, loss, bereavement, mortality, view of the future and relativity between trauma and current symptoms.

With PTSD not only it fractures personal lives, but it fractures their families lives as well. I am one of the lucky veterans to successfully maintain a close relationship with my family. My wife, daughter and son have all suffered because of my PTSD. I feel for them given what they have had to endure with my nightmares, depression, anger outbursts, and mood swings. I am aware how overprotective I was with my children growing up. Because of my own exposure to dangers in Vietnam, I became suspicious and overly conscious of their safety. A parent out of control with my own emotions, I took control of their lives without understanding their emotions and feelings. I brought them up in a world of military discipline, drill, drill and drill in study and education. After both graduated from University and left home, they both struggled with life in the big wide world and both became confused and angry as a result of their upbringing, the boundaries l had created. The stress of war affects the majority of War veteran’s children. Both my children have been diagnosed with derivative form of PTSD, have dealt with their challenges and now have successful lives. My wife had to put up with my nit-picking for years. I would pick on small issues such as dirty marks on fridge doors, crumbs on the table, chairs left out from the table, strict dietary regimes and strict time schedules on trips away. This all originated in my military training. Thankfully my wife is a patient, understanding, loving person and is the backbone of our family. Most of my Vietnam mates have been married and divorced at least a couple of times.

A Vietnam mate visited me in 2007 and suggested I should write a book on my experiences. This what I did. My first book got published in 2010 by a Sydney Publishing Firm. It’s about my debilitating struggle with PTSD that sparked an obsession to escape the bonds of a normal lifestyle and embark on a journey to Antarctica, an experience that would change my life forever. My second book got published in 2014 by the same Publishing Firm. It’s about my Vietnam War and It focuses on my time as a soldier and my return psychologically exhausted to a divided nation. It also includes seven of my Vietnam mate’s short stories. With my books being published, I found a new meaning and purpose to my life by sharing my knowledge of the effects of PTSD with veterans young and old, with schools and community groups. All up I’ve done 67 talks around the country since 2010.

In 2013, Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation and RSL (Qld) commenced an ambitious undertaking for the good of our veterans. The Vietnam Veteran Study was a world-first research project investigating both the long term physical and psychological toll of PTSD in Vietnam veterans. Nearly 300 Vietnam veterans including me participated in the study which included 25 medical and psychological assessments.

In 2015 I joined Mate4Mates. They support current and ex-serving Australian Defence Force members (and their families) who are wounded, injured or ill as a result of their service. They offer a range of physical rehabilitation and wellbeing services such as the Equine Therapy Program. In 2015 my wife and I participated where you interact and engage with horses. For rehab adventure challenges in 2016 I walked and completed the Kokoda Track and last year I canoed the Dawson River in Central Queensland. I participated both challenges with young and older veterans.

Veterans and military personnel are not the only people who suffer from PTSD. First responders, emergency service personnel, and anyone who has witnessed or experienced a traumatic event is at risk of developing PTSD.

Note…Please if you have any of these PTSD symptoms or any depression, go and get help and don’t be like me and think you can solve it yourself.

Re-living trauma: Constant recurring and unwanted memories in the form of vivid images or nightmares, causing sweating or panic

Being overly alert or wound up: Causes sleeping difficulties, irritability and lack of concentration

Avoiding reminders of the event: Deliberating avoiding places, activities, people or thoughts associated with traumatic event

Feeling emotionally numb: Losing interest in day-to-day activities, feeling cut off and detached from friends and family

Note my nightmares have decreased since I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2004. Before this I was experiencing 3 to 4 nightmares a week which equaled above 150 nightmares a year. With medication and regular counselling sessions my nightmares have decreased over the last 4 years. 2014…86 nightmares, 2015…77 nightmares, 2016…68 nightmares 2017…40 nightmares and this year so far, 7 nightmares. I am required to keep a sleep journal.

22 Likes

@dmorg1 thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I hope you find the peace and happiness that you undoubtedly deserve. For all you’ve gone through for our country you have my deepest gratitude and respect.

8 Likes

I’m only an ordinary bloke, I did get two books published. Thanks Klawdy.

3 Likes

Try to get your son into Mates4Mates or Soldier On. Great organisations that helps veterans.

4 Likes

yeah sure under clinical trials. they were working on that in the 50/60s werent they?.

but not a couple of disco bikkies from your local dealer.

To be clear i dont smoke cannabis reguarly, Maybe once every 2nd month when a mate comes around and we murder a box of Tim Tams and giggle while we play PS3.

My post wasnt endorsing cannanbis. And certainbly dont smoke if it mucks with ya head. Dont do anything that makes a situation worse.

However not all cannabis is the same. If you want to discuss it you need to get technical. And be carfeul not to repeat reefer madess-esque claims. HIgh CBD% cannabis is used overseas (as in prescribed by doctors) for treating anxiety and PTSD. But they have control of the particular strains and the levels of compounds in them.

THC is the pschoactive compound in cannabis and high THC cannabis with little to no CBD should be avoided at all costs if you suffer anxiety. It’ll just double down and make it worse. High CBD low THC on the hand … Probelm is no doctor in Australia can give it to you.

Past mental health issues a risk for dads

New research has found dads-to-be with a history of persistent mental health issues are at a significant greater risk of developing antenatal depression.
UpdatedUpdated 1 day ago
Men with a history of persistent mental health problems during adolescence and early adulthood are more than four times more likely to experience symptoms of depression and anxiety as they transition to parenthood, an Australian study has found.

With an estimated one-in-10 men experiencing antenatal mental health problems such as depression and/or anxiety, it is hoped the research will raise awareness and help detect those at risk earlier to ensure dads-to-be receive appropriate support.

“Dads’ mental health problems are common and distressing for both men and their families. Knowing who is most likely to experience mental health problems in the transition to parenthood will help us to provide support and treatment for those who need it the most,” said Elizabeth Spry, lead author and researcher at the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI).

Researchers at MCRI used data from the 20-year Victorian Intergenerational Health Cohort Study to assess participants for mental health problems.

Participants were assessed a total of nine times between ages 14 and 29, then again during the third trimester of subsequent pregnancies.

The study findings, published in the British Journal of Psychiatry Open, found of the men to display symptoms of depression and/or anxiety during a partner’s pregnancy, more than two-thirds had a history of similar problems in the years leading up to conception.

“Essentially it was those who had persistent mental health problems from adolescence to young adulthood who had the greatest risk of going on to have problems again during the third trimester of pregnancy, nearly five times more likely to have mental health problems during that period,” said Ms Spry

It was also found the emotional problems experience by fathers during a partner’s pregnancy tended to continue after the birth of the child.

The researchers say they would like couples to be routinely screened for mental health issues, not just the mothers.

“Health services are doing much more for women before and during pregnancy; we should be also considering the mental health of men before and during a partner’s pregnancy,” said senior author Professor George Patton.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/past-mental-health-issues-a-risk-for-dads?

1 Like

I think there’s a real stigma for dads-to-be dealing with mental health issues… is often seen as ‘being unable to grow up’ or unable to let go of their old ‘bachelor lifestyle’.

2 Likes

Yes, plus men are never going to ask for help because it is seen as being weak or vulnerable (i.e. not man enough).

What are the titles of your books? I’ll try to check them out.