The Music Quiz

1. Detroit Rock City - KISS
2 Likes
  1. Texacana - REM

You are right, AD_Don, on both song/artist and theme. Good stuff.

Theme was pretty tame I must admit, but fun finding songs I know that fit.

Trying to follow the brilliance of @wimmera1 ‘s ‘Stairway To Heaven selected lyrics in order’ theme was impossible!!

Yes it is. Good stuff.

1 Like
  1. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard

Got 16 too,… if no one knows it.

One hit wonder band from the 90’s.

Nice songs, man.

2 Likes

Ahhh Hoffy pipped me on Skynard…so 16. Counting Crows - Omaha.

heh - you bought that one too?

1 Like

Godammit!!! That was one of the hard ones, I thought. Good get!

Actually no. The 90’s were the days of the radio show, and I used to get (borrow) 3 albums a week from a mates Music shop to play a few tracks from it beyond the hit, (and plug his shop ad nauseum) … and if I liked it, I’d TDK it before I took them back.

1 Like

12 Louisiana Rain / Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Harsh call mate…August & Everything After was a great album including Round Here and Me & Mister Jones.

it went 7x Platinum in The US

2 Likes

Also, their BigYellow Taxi cover is pretty good.

I don’t think it was/is harsh at all.

Yes,… that is the album, … which had ONE hit, Mr Jones. Peaked at 13 here, … and Round here got all the way up to a lofty 58.

The 2 other singles from it didn’t chart in Oz at all, … if they were even released.

That’s pretty much the quintessential definition of “One Hit Wonder” ,… ?

http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-100-singles-2003.htm

1 Like
  1. Say Goodbye to Hollywood Billy Joel

Great work Stressed. You are spot on.

Just a couple of tough ones left. Here’s some hints that may help

4 You can’t just leave me / To face life on my own / I know you don’t love me no more / I knew this day it would come

The group, with a female lead singer, is named after one of the largest US States. The first line of the song is the title, followed by “I just need a friend.”

7 There’s another fallen man / With hair I don’t understand / Its just bout as long as my wife Marlene’s / Don’t it all kinda keep you wondering

This is an indulgence of mine as I simply loved this group at the time, especially their live recordings . Formed by schoolmates from Wisconsin in 1980, they’ve had a number of hits including “Don’t Be Lonely” and “Closer To Free”. This song was from 1993. Its title is the name of a US State beginning with I.

9 Well how me love how she shock / Watch how she rock / Model it a swing / Like mi grandfather clock

Apparently originally released in 1960, the version I know is from 1993, by a singer who shares his name with a character from the cartoon show Scooby Doo. Must be sung in a strong Jamaican accent.

And one for free - the singer of Key Largo was Bertie Higgins. Nearest the pin was @Koala