The Music Quiz

Some hints.

Song 13 was from a 1995 double album called History. One half was greatest hits. The second half was new music, where this song appeared.

The geographical reference in song 14 is to a continent. The song has been used in an earlier quiz but with different lyrics.

Song 17 is the most recent release, from 2014. It marked a shift in genre for the female singer/composer.

Iā€™m gonna have to guess the first one is Stranger In Moscow (I think thatā€™s the title?) by Michael Jackson.

Correct. Just 2 to go now

17 Taylor Swift - Welcome To New York

Correct. Iā€™ll give it an hour or so and put up the last one.

Last track was 14. Never In A Million Years - Asia.

Thanks for playing along.

5 Likes

Thanks, quizmaster GBG.

Thought Iā€™d put up a new quiz in a similar vein to the previous one. The theme linking the songs will become quickly apparent.

A couple are a little more challenging / obscure as you all did such a great job last time.

1. I see my Marianne walkinā€™ away. Boston. More than a Feeling. OBITV.

2. Couldnā€™t stand to be kept away / Just for the day / From your body. Hard To Say Iā€™m Sorry - Chicago. Wim.

3. Getting late / I just canā€™t wait / Ten oā€™clock and I know I gotta hit the road. Detroit Rock City - KISS. BSD

4. You canā€™t just leave me / To face life on my own / I know you donā€™t love me no more / I knew this day it would come. I donā€™t need a Lover - Texas. BSD.

5. But the humans will give no love. Horse with No Name - America Miss_ellie.

6. If it werenā€™t so wrong for a soldier like me / To throw down his gun, and run to be free / Then all of us here with the fear in our eyes could go home. Arkansas Grass - Axiom Miss_ellie.

7. Thereā€™s another fallen man / With hair I donā€™t understand / Its just bout as long as my wife Marleneā€™s / Donā€™t it all kinda keep you wondering. Idaho - The BoDeans No one.

8. We got married in a fever / Hotter than a pepper sprout Jackson. Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. Wim.

9. Well how me love how she shock / Watch how she rock / Model it a swing / Like mi grandfather clock. Oh Carolina - Shaggy. Zimmer (artist only).

10. I would give my life to find it / I would give it all / Catch me if I fall. Texarkana - REM. BSD.

11. Somethingā€™s telling me I must go home.
    Massachusetts - Bee Gees. Miss_ellie.

12. Well it was out in California by the San Diego sea / That was when I was taken in and it left its mark on me. Louisiana Rain - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. swoodley

13. Say a word out of line and you find / That the friends you had are gone / Forever, forever. Say Goodbye to Hollywood - Billy Joel. Stressed_out.

14. Well I heard Mister Young sing about her / Well I heard ole Neil put her down. Sweet Home Alabama. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Hoffy.

15. She said / ā€œTell me are you a Christian child?ā€ / And I said ā€œMaā€™am, I am tonightā€. Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn Koala.

16. Somewhere in middle America / Get right to the heart of matters / Itā€™s the heart that matters more / I think youā€™d better turn your ticket in / And get your money back at the door. Omaha - Counting Crows. BSD.

17. We had it all / Just like Bogie and Bacall / Starring in our old late, late show. Key Largo. Hoffy. Artist Bertie Higgins

18. Afternoon delight / cocktails and moonlit nights. Kokomo. Beach Boys. Hoffy.

19. So good-bye / Please donā€™t cry / We both know Iā€™m not what you need. I will always love you by Whitney Houston. Koala and AD_Don.

20. Stopped into a church / I passed along the way / Well, I got down on my knees California Dreaming. The Momas and the Papas OBITV.

1. Hard To Say Iā€™m Sorry - Chicago
  2. Jackson - Some country people first, maybe Johnny Cash and his wife, but later INXS and Jenny Morris

Yes to both. ā€˜Some country peopleā€™ were indeed Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash.

1. More Than A Feeling - Boston.
  2. California Dreaming - Mamas & Papas
1 Like

Correct. The second answer was to number 20. (The numbers often get re-numbered when you press reply.)

1 Like
  1. Kokamo / Beach Boys

17 Key Largo / ???

Yes to both songs. Well done.

The artist for Key Largo is hardly what youā€™d call a household name. Iā€™ll give others a little while to think before updating this one.

15| Walking in Memphis - Marc Cohn
19| I Will Always Love You - Dolly Parton

and Bernie someone for Key Largo!

Yes for Walking in Memphis, Koala.

Iā€™m looking for someone else singing your second one though.

And ā€œBernieā€ is soooooo very close for the first name of the Key Largo singer.

1. Horse with No Name - America

2. Arkansas Grass - Axiom

3. Masshatusess? - Bee Gees

Excellent work Miss Ellie. Three from three.

1 Like

19 is I will always love you by Whitney Houston.

Theme is American places in either song title or artist name.

1. Sweet Home Alabama . Lynyrd Skynyrd (spelling may or may not be correct)
1 Like