The one and only 'WSPHU Thread' - Solanum Erianthum varieties

Daniel markworth delisted from saints. Fitness test at dons and other clubs
Another one from earlyish in Kav's draft who's done nothing at all.

good reminder that the “anything” from “could be anything” includes being a total bust.

I didn't think you could top '560 games between them' but the last line was gold. 20 year-old retreads wasn't bad either.

I kind of want to take your point, but then I recall how many games Stein and Pears have played over the last two years. How good they were. The possibility of picking up…whatsisname…top-up games guy anyway.

Eh. No-one in the league listens to me anyway.

If you reckon what we’ve done is a good example of anything…

I reckon we would’ve been much better off playing Stein when you first need a tall rather than what we did - asking Hibberd or Goddard or Baguley to pinch-hit key position for a week or two.
And same would be true of Bourke or Lisle et al.
Which is short sighted. Worst case, you find out early the younger guy is not going to cut it. Best case, they might actually show something and put selection pressure on. At the very least you’re avoiding the possibility of taking a 3rd gamer into a final.

Need to take a slightly longer term, more systematic view of blooding guys. Seems we debut a lot of guys in round 1, or about round 18 (when we’ve got 10 guys out injured).

Wasn’t he going to be the next Fyfe?

I didn't think you could top '560 games between them' but the last line was gold. 20 year-old retreads wasn't bad either.

I kind of want to take your point, but then I recall how many games Stein and Pears have played over the last two years. How good they were. The possibility of picking up…whatsisname…top-up games guy anyway.

I reckon we would’ve been much better off playing Stein when you first need a tall rather than what we did - asking Hibberd or Goddard or Baguley to pinch-hit key position for a week or two.
Which is short sighted. Worst case, you find out early the younger guy is not going to cut it. Best case, they might actually show something and put selection pressure on. At the very least you’re avoiding the possibility of taking a 3rd gamer into a final.

Need to take a slightly longer term, more systematic view of blooding guys. Seems we debut a lot of guys in round 1, or about round 18 (when we’ve got 10 guys out injured).

Again, I really want to take your point, but I can’t.
I’m really, really confused.

We want to play Smack, yes?
But not on his own, yes?
And we want to pick up 6’5", 26 year-old Mitch Brown?
But i see elsewhere that you want Hooker forward?
As far as i can see that last bit makes things even weirder, so I’m going to ignore it and go…

Hurley
Hooker
T-Bell
Smack
Daniher

Brown is very tall third tall back (can go forward?).
Gwilt is depth.
And he has to be depth because we’ve lost Fletcher, Carlisle (who played as a forward), Pears and Stein.

So Smack replaces Carlisle, Brown replaces all three of Fletch, Pears and Stein who have maybe given us one full season per year for the past two or three years and that’s probably being generous, and Gwilt is still depth.
But we’ve gone with a thirty year-old for depth rather than a 25 year-old or a 20 year-old.

I’ll say it again, it didn’t make sense to me last year, it makes even less sense to me now.

I’d play our best ruckman (on exposed form) in the ruck and our best forward forward. I am fully aware that puts me in a very, very small minority.

Which leaves a tall back spot in the 22 open, as well as probably 2 (Stein’s the only one I could see being kept) depth talls at each end.

I suspect we won’t fully rebalance our list this year, but if we can get a mature type who can be depth at either end it helps in the short term while we build the next generation of kids.

Markworth was seriously hyped IIRC, may have even been in line for our early pick.

Did his knee and perhaps hasn’t been able to bounce back.

Again, I really want to take your point, but I can’t.
I’m really, really confused.

We want to play Smack, yes?
But not on his own, yes?
And we want to pick up 6’5", 26 year-old Mitch Brown?
But i see elsewhere that you want Hooker forward?
As far as i can see that last bit makes things even weirder, so I’m going to ignore it and go…

Hurley
Hooker
T-Bell
Smack
Daniher

Brown is very tall third tall back (can go forward?).
Gwilt is depth.
And he has to be depth because we’ve lost Fletcher, Carlisle (who played as a forward), Pears and Stein.

So Smack replaces Carlisle, Brown replaces all three of Fletch, Pears and Stein who have maybe given us one full season per year for the past two or three years and that’s probably being generous, and Gwilt is still depth.
But we’ve gone with a thirty year-old for depth rather than a 25 year-old or a 20 year-old.

I’ll say it again, it didn’t make sense to me last year, it makes even less sense to me now.

I see it a bit more like this, I like hooker fwd.
Yes, Mitch Brown most certainly can go fwd. did it last week and pretty much won a finial for his team. He is a very good player.
But Id still play Hooker fwd.

Hurley
Brown
T-Bell
Hooker
Daniher, Smack

Smack could play as a third tall fwd/ruck. He is mobile enough. Have fantasia or Conner in a fwd pocket. Then 2 of either Lav, langas, or edwards.
We would have a fwd line with 5 players over 6’3, and it would still be quick Especially with edwards and fantasia/conner in the pockets.

T-Bell to spend more time resting on the bench then fwd, when smack goes into the ruck, someone like watson, goddard, or stanton could rest fwd at these times.

Thats a strong tall marking fwd line with a plenty of speed.

Hooker and Brown could swap ends at various times if need be. We desperately need to Draft a ready made KPP this year. After watching Brown in that VFL finial last week and on his form in the NAB cup. Picking him up would make the loss of Carlisle hurt a lot less. Especially if we could use the low pick we get for him on a gun mid. I recon we would need at least an early third rounder to get brown. Brown about to play in 10 mins on Prime. Good time to have a look at him in a prelim finial.

Wasn’t he going to be the next Fyfe?

Markworth was a 2nd round pick from memory. Very quick leading med fwd, had never played footy before, then came in to the Cannons (I think as an overager) and dominated. Has done at least one ACL (possibly two, though i might be misremembering?), I’d be a bit wary of him if he’s lost his pace off the mark, that was his big point of difference that I can remember.

OP updated.

Carlton - Cameron Giles, Blaine Johnson, Fraser Russell, Matthew Watson
Melbourne - Rohan Bail, Mark Jamar, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jordie McKenzie, Aidan Riley
Port - Mitch Harvey, Jarred Redden, Sam Russell, Mason Shaw, Johann Wagner

Mason Shaw might be worth a gamble. Thought he was tracking okay last year in SANFL. Has had groin injuries all year this year.
Mitch Harvey is a forward being forced to play ruck. He is short, but athletic and has shown more as a forward at junior level. Not sure he’s worth a gamble though.

I always thought Fitzpatrick was handy.

@Dunlop probably knows more about him than I do as he followed him through VFL.
I only saw AFL stuff from him and I saw nothing that stood out.

For some reason he was used as a ruck at times. This year he was used across the backline. Early in his career he was a forward.

To be 24 years old, not have any injury problems and only get 20 senior games at a club like Melbourne who haven’t had too many forward and back options probably doesn’t help you build a case that he’s anything more than a VFL player.

Always thought McKenzie wasn’t.

I’d be having a look at a couple of those not-quite-there-yet talls.
Shaw, maybe Harvey (haven’t seen him), definitely Fitzpatrick.
Have to be better than Pears, that’s our baseline.

I'd be having a look at a couple of those not-quite-there-yet talls. Shaw, maybe Harvey (haven't seen him), definitely Fitzpatrick. Have to be better than Pears, that's our baseline.

We pretty much have to. We need to bring in probably half a dozen talls this year, a couple of guys of depth quality is probably going to be part of that.

Not half a dozen. 3 or 4.

3 or 4 is what we will bring in. Half a dozen is what we need (by need I mean the number that would give us any sort of reasonable list balance).

Apparently Harvey can play and kicked a fkton of goals in the SANFL? 40 odd?

3 or 4 is what we will bring in. Half a dozen is what we need (by need I mean the number that would give us any sort of reasonable list balance).

I always go on the theory you have about 44 on the list, try and make that 2 whole teams.
By my count we have 2/4 tall forwards (Hooker + Joe), 2/6 tall backs (Hurley + Gwilt) and 3/3 ruckmen (Smack TBell Giles).

I would probably try and get 2-3 tall backs, and 1-2 tall forwards. Can’t see us grabbing another ruck. So 4 or 5 guys.
I’m just not sure there will be 6 worthwhile talls (at least outside the early picks).