“The other teams we don’t fear” - the 2019 VFLW season summary

Stop telling me what you observe… tell me what you feel!

I’ve gone nuts on this report. It’s by far the longest thing I’ve ever posted in my sixteen years on Blitz. And why?

Because this team is amazing, that’s why. They’ve started from nothing, spent their first season getting regularly smashed, and they haven’t blinked. They’re supportive of their team and their team mates. A comment was made by one of the girls sitting in the stand today that they have a notable culture of celebrating achievement — including a direct comparison with another AFLW/VFLW club (I won’t name that club, as you could then likely work out who it was).

While a lot of the club culture comments on Blitz are reactive rubbish, the women here are an inspiration. And that can’t just come on the field: the Tiwi girls presenting a gift to a departing Ash Browne was sweet and humble, and I don’t reckon it would be possible to be a sourpuss around runner Natasha Hardy.

The skills and scoring may not be up there, and that is reflected in my briefer commentaries because you just don’t get the gaps to write, but geez they’re good for the soul. Just look at them sing (and what they do after they sing).

(OK, the first one is from the only win of 2018, but it’s still amazing and to my point.)

3 Likes