The positive thread. find something, anything

He got his first rep shirt today. Swimming 50m freestyle at the school district comp tomorrow.
His first competitive race beside school carnival so hope for his sake he goes well. I personally don’t care if he comes stone, motherless last. We’re proud of him regardless and stoked he got some reward for his effort in training.
Trials for district AFL side next week too…
It never ends with this boy and his sport.

4 Likes

I hate supportive parents!

1 Like

I even gave him a choice of which footy team he followed…he could choose Essendon or choose to be homeless

10 Likes

Why did you give him the Collingwood option?

10 Likes

Show him both ends of the spectrum I guess

5 Likes

Interesting article. In the end, Jake Niall has a glass half full view of Essendon.

So, as the above litany suggests, Essendon has had a challenging post and pre-season period. There is less optimism about the club externally than there was in 2019. Back then, everyone wanted to buy shares in the Bombers, who had just acquired Dylan Shiel and were hyped - unrealistically - as a possible premiership contender.

Today, Essendon shares are in a slump. Market expectations are modest. The Dons aren’t a boom stock like the Bulldogs.

But before you dump those red and black shares, bear this in mind: that, while the injury/availability prospectus isn’t blue chip, the February injury list won’t be the critical factor in Essendon’s 2020 campaign.

Rather, it will be culture, cohesion and the how the club manages the final year of John Worsfold’s tenure and Ben Rutten’s stint as understudy that will shape Essendon’s season.

The most significant surgery at Tullamarine over the post-season wasn’t Hurley or Hooker’s. It was the revamping of the football department, which saw Blake Caracella arrive from Richmond and Sean Murphy, the new head of strength and conditioning, from the Hawks.

There were quite a number of new roles among existing staff, too, the most critical of which, of course, was the coaching handover arrangement.

Worsfold will oversee the team performance, with heavy delegation. Rutten and Caracella will be responsible for the game plan, and for educating the players and coaches in that method.

Caracella, instrumental in Richmond’s less constipated ball movement from 2017, will have the same portfolio at his first club, and a say in the midfield function.

Essendon’s failure to win finals was not due to insufficient talent, though the list has some potholes. The shortfall has been in system and cohesion. Unlike Richmond and (moderately talented) Hawthorn, the Bombers have not been difficult to play against. They have not displayed a consistent, coherent and well-executed brand.

Their team defence improved last year, but is a long way from the best teams. The revamping of the leadership group, meanwhile, pointed to the reality that they erred in leaving Hurley and Hooker from the leadership, while having two players - Daniher and Orazio Fantasia - who either wanted out (Daniher) or explored that option (Fantasia). Merrett’s omission was the result of a new voting system among the players, who were given different criteria to nominate their preferred leaders.

Internally, the view is that there is a clearer understanding of game plan, roles and an improved morale among the coaches, compared with this time last year.

Last year, Essendon was overhyped. This year, there’s a chance that they’ll be under-sold, on the basis of these pre-season setbacks. We shouldn’t forget that, while Daniher’s groin is a concern, they’ve effectively been without him for the bulk of two years.

Richmond and Collingwood’s rises in 2017 and 2018 showed that coaching and culture can count for more than a missing key forward or burst runner. Don’t sell those Essendon shares just yet.

He came 3rd in his heat. Goes on time but don’t think he’ll make the next step this time. Top 6 fastest go through from all the heats.
His 1st competitive race outside of school carnival so really good experience.
Little champ did himself, and us, proud.

3 Likes

Sugo Day!!!

impressive, 84 year old lady sinks 94 foot putt to win a car

4 Likes

I prefer this guys version on pretty much everything:

I resigned from my job last week.

I’m very much looking forward to being able to not want to kill again.

14 Likes

2 Likes

Saved enough to hire other people to kill for you now?

1 Like

By no means. However I’ve heard that you just have to ask the universe for what you want.

1 Like

We’ve had more rain. Fires are under control. But; now we have to mow the bl1oody glass every three or four days its over six inches high.

There’s just no pleasing some people.

3 Likes

My glass doesn’t need mowing at all, and if anything, the rain just puts streaks in it.

4 Likes

That only works if you’ve had a universal joint.

3 Likes

Avoid the Covid19 thread if you are looking for something positive

The old Vic vs DT game is on Fox right now.
Great skills and so much space.

2 Likes

There was a game WA v Vic from late 80s which was basically the big v v eagles with Jon dorotich.

Dermie v worsfold v Ablett v kickett v Lockett and do on and so forth.

Brutal yet entertaining.