The Preseason So Far

What should we make of the preseason so far?

One of the more interesting questions I have been asked is how does it compare with previous preseasons but really we need to try and get a broader perspective to show where the club is heading.

Turning to history we see that the club’s last big turnaround after a lengthy premiership drought began in the early eighties and resulted in a grandfinal in 1983 and premierships in 1984 and 1985 after nineteen years. The comparison with the start of the Sheedy era is somewhat compelling as we enter a sixteenth year without a flag.

Sheedy replaced Barry Davis – great player, poor coach while Worsfold has replaced Hird – great player, poor coach. In both cases the club was breaking a tradition by going outside outside the club for the appointments.

A point of difference is that Sheedy was an untried coach after the club missed out on Jeans and Barassi while Worsfold was experienced and successful. The two coaches also have different personalities – Sheedy outgoing and left field, Worsfold calm but engaging.

Sheedy inherited a reasonably good list with players like Madden and Watson and built it up to be a formidable list, one of the best in the club’s history. Sheedy was adored by his players (mostly) and by the supporters. Worsfold is on this path but is not there yet. In both cases there are new, strong presidents and an improving organisation. e.g. Sheedy became the first full time coach, Worsfold has a strong coaching panel and excellent facilities.

Worsfold inherited a reasonably good list, then lost it for a year and now has it back and is building a formidable list with Dea and Kelly emerging from the top ups and players such as Walla, Fantasia and Hartley developing from getting games in 2016.
The hope is that our early draft picks will now put us in a strong position. Interestingly Danihers play a key role for both coaches.

Both coaches look to building a culture of excellence and a dynasty so you have to view this preseason as part of a greater whole. This brings me back to the topic of the preseason so far.

The plan appears to be quick ball movement and improving skills. The style of play revolves around flexible key position players and a stronger physical presence as evidenced by the types of players recruited who tend to have mature bodies. This is of course very general but it is the basic framework of what is happening.

How well are they going? I think the culture and ethos is developing very quickly. In the training reports I try to capture the “mood” of each session and the following adjectives frequently apply: upbeat, professional, determined, competitive and the coaches and players are working very well together. Not the slightest sign that anybody isn’t completely behind the coach.

The playing list is developing very well indeed. If you want evidence of this just sit down and try to pick your best 22 now and in two years time. I have never found it so difficult.

The most useful comment I can make, partly as a result of input from a club official, is that we need another five or 6 A graders. We may recruit one or two from outside the club but which players currently on our list have the potential to develop into A graders? This will be an interesting exercise to discuss.

Summary – I expect, based on what I have seen, finals next year, premiership contention in the following two or three years. The preseason has gone well, a strategy is in place, we are getting there.

First like! You ripper.

First like! You ripper.
I liked it before I read it just so I could get on the "Like wall of fame".

A graders 2018 onward…

Hurley
Hooker
Heppell
Daniher
Merrett
Fantasia
Parish
Langford/Francis/Laverde/Mcgrath

Wow, Best bunch of young guns I’ve seen us have for a long long time.

I reject the premise.

Don’t think many people would read past the third paragraph.

Hooker is old.

A graders 2018 onward...

Hurley
Hooker
Heppell
Daniher
Merrett
Fantasia
Parish
Langford/Francis/Laverde/Mcgrath

Wow, Best bunch of young guns I’ve seen us have for a long long time.

The comment was we need ANOTHER 5 or 6 A-graders.

Based on performance so far, the first 5 on your list could already be considered A-grade or on the verge of it.It will be interesting to see which of the youngsters will be able to become genuine A grade stars.

Geelong doesn’t have that many a graders and they made a prelim. It would be nice to have another 5-6 but it won’t happen over night and I don’t want to see us follow Collingwood’s path there. Let’s focus on working as a tight cohesive unit where everyone plays to their role.

AFL just published our pre-season report card fwiw: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-27/watch-essendons-preseason-report-card

Sensational summary, Jackie. Thank you. This summary and your training reports are full of quiet confidence, and quiet confidence is exactly what we want.

A grade
Merrett, Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Watson, Goddard, Kelly

Potential A grade
Daniher, Laverde, Langford, Fantasia, Parish, Tippa, Francis, McGrath, Begley

I guess you kind of discount watson/kelly/goddard as only 1-2 years left.

AFL just published our pre-season report card fwiw: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-27/watch-essendons-preseason-report-card

Seriously, injuries to Watson and Daniher not worth mentioning? Yep, let’s talk about Bellchambers’s sore knee.

2016 - our worst performed year in 80+ years and we all know why. The years was used to pump games into our younger players and the fast tracking was probably worth 3 seasons of normal development.
2017 - we are building something. The 10 banned players have returned, refreshed and over all those little niggles players carry. They are well rested and raring to go, plus we unearthed a couple more ready made players form the top ups, which was an unexpected bonus.
Each of the last 4 years we have had our hopes dashed by the saga. That is now over, and the team will play with a freedom they haven’t felt for years.

Excellent summary JM.

What exactly constitutes an A grader? I guess it’s open to interpretation. If we were to add five or six players of the calibre of what I consider to be A grade to what we have already we’d win every single game next year comfortably.

The enviroment appears on track - so if Disco continues to nail draft picks over the next three years or so and if the younger brigade comes on a flag after 2018 is absolutely on the cards.

A Graders:

Heppell, Zach, Hurley, Hooker, Jobe (hopefully still)

Can become A graders (in order of likelihood)

Parish
Daniher
Colyer
Fantasia
Laverde
Langford

(Walla an outside chance).

I also consider Francis and McGrath naturally a pretty decent chance, probably slotting in above Fantasia on expectations but just don’t like going off exposed form of 3 and 0 games respectively and other than just their draft pick and junior career. If it were that simple Myers would have been A grade 4 years ago.

I thought JM just makes up the training reports to continue on with his weird fascination with Tiffany Cherry.

The AFL report card really seems to skip what for us are key issues. It appears to be a positive puff piece which concentrates rather a lot on the #1 draft pick and not much else in any depth.

Don't think many people would read past the third paragraph.

I did, because even though I don’t agree with his view, Jackie would have more of an informed view on these matters than literally anyone else on this site.

Cal Twomey saying people at the club saying it’s the fittest/cleanest Bill off health for 7-8 years.

And McGrath a lock for Rnd 1at half back, as per his insiders.