The Pro Cycling Thread

The last Cycling news update had him recovered, but only just starting training.

So it’s a matter of if he can build enough fitness to ride the Dauphiné and then the Tour.
Another option, would be to take Chaves to the Tour, but just target specific stages with him rather than chasing the yellow.

1 Like

Apparently it is knee tendinitis.

1 Like

Few true climbing stages in this year’s TDF - It’s a strange route - I’d much rather go the Ewan option to go stage hunting - It also means Orica can beef up their team for the Giro and the Vuelta.

Orica Team for PR

• Hayman
  • Keukeliere
  • Durbridge
  • Bewley
  • Edmonson
  • Docker
  • Cort
  • Mezgec

Interesting that Edmondson is a last minute inclusion and then received a big wrap from DS Lorenzo Lapage.

1 Like

Edo is a good inclusion. If not to support the main guys, just the experience will be invaluable. I’d tell him to get in the early break if possible and have some fun.

Try to get at least one of Edmondson, Cort or Mezgec in the break. No hope of Hayman being allowed into the break.

1 Like

So Paris Roubaix this Sunday. The last two editions have been exceptional.

2017 Paris-Roubaix cobble sectors and rating (in reverse order, as raced):

Secteur 29: Troisvilles à Inchy (2.2km) ***
Secteur 28: Viesly à Quiévy (1.8km) ***
Secteur 27: Quiévy à Saint Python (3.7km) ****
Secteur 26: Viesly à Biastre (3km) ***
Secteur 25: Biastre à Solesmes (0.8km) **
Secteur 24: Vertain à Saint-Martin-sur-Ecaillon (2.3km) ***
Secteur 23: Verchain-Maugré à Quérénaing (1.6km) ***
Secteur 22: Quérénaing à Maing (2.5km) ***
Secteur 21: Maing à Monchaux-sur-Ecaillon (1.6km) ***
Secteur 20: Haveluy à Wallers (2.5km) ****
Secteur 19: Trouée d’Arenberg (2.4km) *****
Secteur 18: Wallers à Hélesmes (1.6km) ***
Secteur 17: Hornaing à Wandignies (3.7km) ****
Secteur 16: Warlaing à Brillion (2.4km) ***
Secteur 15: Tilloy à Sars-et-Rosières (2.4km) ****
Secteur 14: Beuvry-la-Forêt à Orchies (1.4km) ***
Secteur 13: Orchies (1.7km) ***
Secteur 12: Auchy-lez-Orchies à Bersée (2.7km) ****
Secteur 11: Mons-en-Pévèle (3km) *****
Secteur 10: Mérignies à Avelin (0.7km) **
Secteur 9: Pont-Thibault à Ennevelin (1.4km) ***
Secteur 8: Templeuve (0.5km) **
Secteur 7: Cysoing à Bourghelles (1.3km) ***
Secteur 6: Bourghelles à Wannehain (1.1km) ***
Secteur 5: Camphin-en-Pévèle (1.8km) ****
Secteur 4: Carrefour de l’Arbre (2.1km) *****
Secteur 3: Grusson (1.1km) **
Secteur 2: Willems à Hem (1.4km) ***
Secteur 1: Roubaix (0.3 km) *

Slight change in the route, 3.5km cobbles added early in the race at the expense of 1.5km later in the race.

Boonen is the sentimental favourite, but I feel it’s wide open this year.
GVA and Sagan will be strong, although Sagan is saying he’s not feeling the best at the moment.
Stannard, Rowe, Keukeleire, Dubridge, Terpstra, Demare, Degenkolb, Kristoff & Stybar all with big shows.
And we shouldn’t rule out defending champion, Hayman.
PS watch for Naesen.

Thank ■■■■ this on tonight.
Might assuage my feelings after the crap our team served up today.

1 Like

Durbo goes down, haven’t even got to the cobbles yet.

Durbo looks cooked. A mechanical and then caught up in another situation he’s just about done I think. A pity.

Hepburn used smarts and experience to finish 11th but he was nowhere near as strong as Kuekeliere - Jens was attacking the reduced peleton of 14 with 35kms to go and had an untimely puncture - Certain he would have made the group of 6 who got away with 20kms to go - It was a strange race in that most of the favorites suffered mechanicals/crashed - Van Avermaat who crashed with around 110km to go and was a minute down on the peleton managed to get back on after Arenburg - Sagan attacked with 77km to go with Bodnar then he had a mechanical - Sagan bridged up to the leading 6 with 15kms to go and then suffered another mechanical.

It was the strangest Roubaix I can remember TBH.

Reflecting on PR and I am certain Keukeliere would have got a podium - It was similar to Gent Werelgem where he broke up the lead group with 20km to go - He would have continued attacking that group and the only certainty to go with him was GVA.

1 Like

Durbridge broken ribs and out of Ardennes.

Team for Brabantse Pijl

• Gerrans
  • Impey
  • Juul-Jensen
  • Keukeliere
  • Power
  • Tuft
  • Impey
  • Hepburn

Its a deceptively tough finish which was too much for Matthews in 2016 - Gerrans is the protected rider but Impey has climbed better than gerrans in the last 12 months - Think the finish is too tough for Keukeliere.

Similar team will contest Amstel Gold on Sunday and this is more a day for Gerrans.

Rode in with another indi pac rider he arrived at 3.30 am Tuesday morning at the opera house.
RHIno or ryan Flynn from Melbourne did an astonishing 423km last leg into Sydney.Rode the last 50kms with him…

2 Likes

Kreuziger has won Amstel Gold before and placed well in other years. And Albasini is in far better form than Gerrans so I think those are the two that Orica Scott will be backing for Amstel Gold.

Interesting that Kreuziger is riding for GC at the Tour of Romandie - He’s got fitter with each race and should be close to his peak so should ride well at Amstel Gold. Though the change in parcours could see it end in a large bunch sprint.

Reckon Gerrans has the better show at Amstel Gold ( though a little chance ) than Brabatse Pil tonight.

So in summary - Impey good chance in Brabatse Pil and Gerrans a flukers chance in AG.

Gerrans was predictably bad at Brabatse Pil.

Amstel Gold this Sunday.

Change of course from previous years

The final climb of the Cauberg has been taken out. That gives the faster men a bit more of a chance.
On current form hard to go past Kwiatkowski, Gilbert and GVA.
Valverde in with a big show too, but not having the Cauberg at the end probably makes it harder for him.
This is should suit Matthews, but his form has been fairly ordinary this year. Not sure he’ll get much support from his team either, they look pretty weak.
Orica Scott have a couple of options in Kreuziger and Albasini. Gerrans is riding, but really has shown very little this year.

Have Matthews as my favorite - His form has been good, especially his climbing and TT - It’s a wide open race and anyone of 20 or 25 riders could win without springing a major surprise - Gerrans was fine in Brabantze - Juul-Jensen was in the break that went to the finish so Orica did no pulling - It was funny to see Keukeliere riding second or third wheel in the peleton in a policing role.- I suspect Impey and Albasini are the best chances for Orica, albeit slim chances.

Reading the article yesterday in Cycling News gives me little confidence Chaves will be anywhere near peak fitness for the TDF - He is hoping to race the Dauphine or Suisse in June - A.Yates will give Fleche a big try on Wednesday - Does his best ride and could finish top 10, though Albasini is a better option for this race.