The Pro Cycling Thread

Gaviria wins the stage from Mareczko and Bennett. Ewan got lost from his lead out in the last 1.5km - The most embarrassing thing was A.Yates followed the right wheels and finished 13th - GC rider better positioned than the sprinter - Wow !

Ewan is stinking it right up. I’m not really surprised. The team selection doesn’t help his cause.
Gaviria is superior in just about every way, but I predicted that before the race :wink:

Loved the false finish. Hilarious.

Ewan was horribly out of position and just gave up.

1 Like

Break stays away.
Sprinters chance tonight, highly technical finish.

No surprise to see the break win the stage 6 - It was comical watching Cannondale with no rouleurs trying to bring back the break,along with Willier Triestina - DD had the stage favorite in Haas but yet put no rider at the front, except for a token effort between 40 to 30kms to go - It was a poor effort by DD who seem more interested in mopping up minor points mid-stage in the points classification competition - Haas needs to lead this team as well as develop tactical smarts if he wishes to reach his full potential.

1 Like

Ewan pips Gaviria to take the win.
Breakaway stage tonight before the Blockhaus.

A perfectly timed sprint by Orica. The monkey is off the back.

Agree tonight is a likely breakaway day.

Izaggire wins from the reduced break.

Blockhaus tonight.
First time it’s being climbed from this side, it’s the hardest of the 3, although they don’t climb the final 6km

Averages 9%+ for 9km. With the rest day tomorrow, it will be decisive.
The Giro won’t be won tonight, but there will be a few of the fancied riders that will certainly lose it.
At a guess, Quintana will pace the rest of the GC riders, perhaps launching a late attack. I guess Pinot will try something.

A motorcycle carelessly placed takes out Thomas and Yates, and their GC chances are done.
Movistar don’t wait, and Quintana takes the win from Pinot.
I doubt Quintana will be given any favours if he has a mechanical next time. OS and Sky will be mighty ■■■■■■.
Mind you, Quintana has prior form in this regard (remember the attack on the neutralised snow affected stage at the Giro two years ago).

Moviestar should have backed off the pace,seeing it was caused by a non racing incident。

Unlucky for Yates as there were 3 Orica riders and only Yates went down.

Will need to be a reassessment of priorities

Dumoulin and Pinot looking good.

Orica team for the Tour of Norway starting on Wednesday

Gerrans
Kluge
Haig
Power
Docker
Albasini

First stage could decide GC - Imagine it will be Haig for GC and Albasini and Kluge for stages.

ITT tonight.

Dumoulin by how far?

I wonder if Kiriyenka has been foxing in 2017. This is his type of ITT.

Not a bad ride at all, but Dumoulin slaughters everyone on the ITT.
And takes a very healthy 2+ minute lead in the GC.

Tonight should be interesting. Sky and OS should attack on this mountain stage. Although it’s not a MTF, I doubt there will be big gaps in the GC.

My man gonna get revenge on GC favourites for stealing his Vuelta.

1 Like

He’s in with hell of a chance.
I’m still concerned how he’ll go in the really toughest mountain stages, but with another ITT to come, he’s going to give it a shake.
Nice touch in asking a girl ( Carlien) for a date by writing the request on his chest under his skin suit too :smiley:

Most important thing for Dumoulin is to have a team-mate in the break on mountain days to support him later on - Moviestar has the team to really attack the back half of the race and it should make for exciting racing.

Freire defeats Rui Costa and Rolland who win from the break - Poor tactical day from Orica - Should have got Yates into the break in which he could have pulled back 1 or 2 minutes - Had Plaza riding well in the break -
Called Plaza back down the final descent to the finish line when there was 15 kms to go, while he was in the second chase group 15 seconds behind Freire and Rolland - Worst thing is Yates was in the pink jersey group which split on the final climb so in no need for help - So Plaza drilled the pink jersey group for the last 8kms and probably took 30 seconds off the breakaway - Then again the tactics may have been asked after listening to White’s 12 minute tirade on the 'Three Domestique’s Podcast.

1 Like

Great stage last night

But a yawn from the GC group. Teejay loses out, hardly a surprise, as does Thomas.

Sprinters stage tonight, nice easy run in to the line, should suit Grepiel to the ground.