The Pro Cycling Thread

A dominant victory by Sagan. I worry about Power who cant keep up with the peleton,even in suitable territory.

1 Like

Yeh, he’s struggling a little. He’ll get more time.
As an U23 rider he was more highly rated than Haig.
But they will want him to step up next year.

I am almost certain Power will be offered another contrast but it’s not guaranteed.

Mezgec finishes a close third ( should have been 2nd ) behind Bennett in stage 1 of Slovenie - Suspect Orica were riding for Edmondson or Kluge but they got lost in the last 1km.

Verona in a break of 9 in Stage 6 of Suisse - Have 2m and 45s with 78kms to go.

Hindley and Hamilton finish 1-2 on the final stage of the Baby Giro
Hamilton finishes 2nd in the GC, just failing to catch Sivakov by 9 seconds. Hindley finishes 3rd in the GC.

Mezgec wins comfortably overnight

The last 3kms of Slovenie were an ice skating rink with riders falling left,right and centre - Good effort by Mezgec to stay on his bike - Haig fell in the run home so hopefully he’s OK for the mountain stage today - Spilak wins stage 7 of Suisse on one of the toughest climbs in Europe - Taaramae destroyed the peleton in the final climb, so much so there were only four riders left 4kms into a 13km climb - Spilak should jeep the yellow in the next 2 stages - Viviani wins stage 2 of Root De Sud - Today they climb the Tourmalaet.

Majka wins the queen stage at Slovenie, Haig in the select group of 3 fighting out in the last 100m.

Haig was the only rider who could match Majka’s accelerations on the climb - For unknown reasons he chose not to work with the Pole which allowed Visconti to come back to the duo on three occasions - Haig was at least the second strongest on the climb - He’ll have learned a valuable lesson - Would like Haig to ride GC at the 2018 Tour of Suisse.

Seen pics of Kreuziger,Chaves, Howson and Yates checking out the TDF route - So lock those four in for a spot.

There was never any doubt these 4 would be riding the TdF.
I wonder if they will take another climber?
You’d think Impey, Albasini are certainties, perhaps Durbo too.
That probably leaves Blewely to be Chaves body guard or Hayman.
I doubt Gerrans has shown enough to be considered.

Gerrans will be selected though he should have done the Giro and Vuelta - I would pick Keukeliere as he has a sharp brain in a race, though he raced a one day race in belgium Sunday and this upcoming Wednesday - Impey and Durbridge are certainties besides the four previously mentioned. while Hayman is a near certainty - This leaves two spots - I would go Albasini and Bewley - Then you have your 2 flat riders , four for the mountains and three opportunists.

My team would be

S.Yates
Kreuziger
Howson
Chaves
Impey
Durbridge
Hayman
Keukeliere
Albasini

Watch out for the two young Belgian cyclo cross stars in Van Aert and Poel who will transition to the road - Super talents and have given Keukeliere sore legs.

Cyrus Monk signs as a stagiare for Cannondale - First of the list of young talented Australian riders who could join the WT.

1 Like

Skys tour de france team is very strong as expected.

Chris froome
Geraint thomas
Mikel Landa
• Luke Rowe
Sergio Henao
• Mikel Nieve,
Michal Kwiatkowski,
Vasil Kiryienka
Christian Knees

BMC - no Rohan Dennis

Rider Roster: Damiano Caruso (ITA), Alessandro De Marchi (ITA), Stefan Küng (SUI), Amaël Moinard (FRA), Richie Porte (AUS), Nicolas Roche (IRL), Michael Schär (SUI), Greg Van Avermaet (BEL), Danilo Wyss (SUI).

Or TJ.
Less distractions. Can’t help thinking BMC are one climber short.

1 Like

Massively strong. As strong as a team as I’ve ever seen at the the TdF.

1 Like

Orica Scott team for the TdF

Michael Albasini (SUI, 36) - 9th TDF appearance
Esteban Chaves (COL, 27) - debut
Luke Durbridge (AUS, 26) - 4th TDF appearance
Mathew Hayman (AUS, 39) - 3rd TDF appearance
Damien Howson (AUS, 24) - debut
Daryl Impey (RSA, 32) - 5th TDF appearance
Jens Keulekeire (BEL, 28) - 2nd TDF appearance
Roman Kreuziger (CZE, 31) - 8th TDF appearance
Simon Yates (GBR, 24) - 3rd TDF appearance

Good to see they resisted the urge to pick Gerrans.

1 Like

Happy with the Orica and BMC team. Both chosen to maximise strengths.

Sky team strong. Big question mark for me. Thomas struggled in Rut Du Suud, Kiriyenka is not the same rider as 2016 and I doubt Froome can podium.

Astana is the key to this tour. Have confidence in their leaders and they will split the race on the mountains.

1 Like

Good to see chaves

Who is the biggest threat to ritchie

Froome
valverde
Contador

??!!!

Fugslang

Have Porte a long way ahead of the rest. Expect good rides from the Astana duo and the Moviestar duo.

Porte’s still every chance of a bad day or bad luck isn’t he? I can’t bring myself to get excited for him… must be the team colours :confused:

2 Likes