The Pro Cycling Thread

Needs this dubbed over it.

or this

Sagan crushes them, even with one pedal being unclipped.

Calm as you like

1 Like

So Porte was doing the lead out for GVA. Strangely Matthews was out of position. That is one that got away.

Yates shouldn’t have lost 8 seconds on that climb. It could be a long tour for Orica.

F**k!

French rigging the tour. Trying to put Demare in green.

1 Like

Bouhanni would not get DQed for that. Just saying …
A fair result would be relegation for the stage.

Yep put him out of r th stage but not th tour…hometown decision!

Wait. They actually sent him home?? Ridiculous.

He should have asked for a character reference from the President.

2 Likes

DQ being appealed.

1 Like

I’d expect the appeal to be upheld. I can see why the officials made that call because it was a dangerous move by Sagan to take Demare’s wheel and close the gap on Cavendish, however contact was initiated by Cavendish and Sagan only threw his elbow out for balance after Cavendish began to fall. A DQ for that seems harsh but there does need to be some punishment for Sagan, keep him in the race but penalise him something like 50 points in the sprint comp. That could create a great story to watch Sagan come back from that deficit over the remainder of the tour.

1 Like

In theory there is no appeal process, decision is final - although cycling doesn’t always follow it’s own rules.

The role of Dimension Data - a sponsor for the race, as well as Cav’s team - should not be overlooked. I’ve seen claims that their head was lobbying for DQ while officials were deliberating.

Have heard this also. Although who knows if it’s true.

The Sagan DQ was a total over-reaction. Actually the more dangerous move was Sagan’s move with 1km to go which caused a big crash. Matthews is the favorite for the green jersey. Anyway rapt for Demare. Always thought he had the ability to win a Gt stage. Its proving an inspired decision by FDJ to have Pinot target GC at the Giro. Expect FDJ to do the same in 2018.

Anyway lots will be discovered in todays stage. Expect 2 or 3 of the GC guys to have their chances ruined tonight. I expect Porte to attack tonight.

I reckon Demare can win the green.

1 Like

Sprint finishes are a lottery…heard someone say to day about clean finishes…if you’ve watched cycling for many years you know this is a storm in a tea cup…watch the lead out riders fall back into the lap of the other sprinters that’s just as dangerous…no coincedence a French guy in green!

Gone.

Sagan responds briefly: “I do not agree with the jury’s decision”

“I can only accept the jury’s decision, but I certainly do not agree. I think I did not do anything wrong in the sprint,” said Peter Sagan.

“It was a crazy sprint, it will not be the first and not the last crazy sprint.”

“I really think Mark Cavendish has fallen. I wish him a good recovery.”

Cavendish is out.

David Mackenzie making great sense on the SBS coverage tonight!

Very AFL: punish the injury, not the intent or the contact.

I’m sure they’ll be consistently applying a similar approach for the rest of the race (not).

1 Like