The Pro Cycling Thread

Bauer confirmed to Orica Scott - Pencil him in for the TDU - Big rider for the Classics and can do a role in a GT - Interesting that he followed Trentin from Quick Step - Bernal and Sivakov are taking a risk signing for Sky who have a poor record in developing young riders - Bernal is a GC rider, while Sivakov could be more suited to hilly classics - Reckon Sivakov is a similar rider to Moscon, but maybe less explosive.

Storer and Hindley both to Team Sunweb - My understanding is L.Hamilton has signed with Orica - Think Storer will be the best of the three riders, especially in GC - Hamilton will be a very consistent rider at WT level, whereas as Hindley can be inconsistent - Actually Storer is the one I wanted at Orica.

#whynotboth.gif

Actually I can understand why both were not taken. How many GC climber types can you carry?

100% correct - Orica could not take all three - One is enough and that’s not factoring in some riders don’t wish to ride for local teams - Thought Storer would spend another year in the under 23’s, though it’s hard to decline a WT offer - Stannard is the one you want to get, though he is still 18 so another 2or 3 years from joining the pro ranks.

1 Like

Just finished watching All for One…tell me what the fark was QC Sam Lane doing in the doco…nearly choked on my choc top!

1 Like

Trentin wins again. He’s in hot form.
Roche sneaks off the front of the GC riders and gains 30s.

1 Like

Unfortunately All For One is not yet showing at cinemas in HK. Many more media people who have given Orica more support than Sam Lane.

Orica must be happy with Trentin and they probably got him on the cheap. Intetesting to see Plaza handing out musettes a few days ago.

A lumpy day in stage 11. Could be another one for the breakaway.

1 Like

Orica attacked the stage with a disastrous result - Put Cort and Tuft at the head of the peleton with 55 kms to go - They dropped the breakaways lead from 4 minutes to 1 minute in 20kms - First Cat 1 climb had Verona drilling it to allow S.Yates to catch the breakaway - S.Yates drilled the descent with Bardet and they started the final climb with 2m and 40s - It was either go for stage victory or set up Chaves - S.Yates cracked 3 kms into the climb and then after 5kms Nibali and Contador cracked the peleton - Chaves was detached, A.Yates collapsed and it was up to Haig to pace Chaves up the climb until 2.5kms to go - Lopez won the stage from Froome and Nibali - Chaves lost 2m and 5s and is now third on GC - Froome struggled on two occasions on the final climb and had to be paced back by Nieve who was stronger - Nibali is now 1m and 19s behind Froome and a big danger - A.Yates dropped 9 minutes and S.Yates 17 minutes.

Haig is riding better than any of them.

Would like Haig next year to ride the next TDF as a shadow GC guy, similar to what Lopez is doing this year behind Aru - Haig rides a good race and there is a white jersey waiting.

1 Like

Will add i am disappointed in A.Yates. His inability to hold his form beyond July is a major concern. I expect one of the Yates and Ewan to be with new teams in 2019.

Today is for the breakaway. Orica will have no one for todays stage. Today is following the peleton. Alaphalippe for today.

Adam was poor last night.
I’m wondering if the colder than usual conditions were a factor for Chaves?

Adam has only shown form past August once in four years. Orica put him to pasture in September last year because he had no form.

Chaves usually rides well in cold weather hence his love for the Giro. Could have been a bad day. Actually Nieve could have won yesterdays stage if left off the leash.

https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/903313713771540484

What the hell!

Yeah - This was a policeman throwing a spectator in front of a moto - Seemed like a set piece.

Canty was 6th in the stage but should have been so much better - He was over-exuberant on the final climb and should have kept his powder dry until 3kms from the summit and then of course he crashed on the descent - Marcynski was very strong but Canty should have finished 2nd or 3rd - Contador attacked on the final climb and carried it on the descent to get 20 seconds on the leaders with another 20 seconds back to Froome who crashed twice on the descent - All the climbers checked out which suggests something is brewing - Cort will sprint the final today.

TOB Squad

Ewan
Mezgec
Kluge
Docker
Power
Durbridge

Ewan for the flat sprints and Mezgec for hililer sprints and Power for GC - It’s a hot field at the TOB.

Communication Maxim Belkov on La Vuelta incident : “Through the Vuelta organizers I have received more details from the Guardia Civil about the incident that occurred yesterday on the Puerto del Torcal when a fan pushed me into the ditch. Apparently the man suffers from a mental disability. For me this is more than enough reason not to undertake any further action against him.
I am healthy and not injured, but it could have ended worse. Cycling is a very accessible sport. We need to keep it this way. I just hope that this incident will open the eyes of many fans. Please never touch the riders in the race, don’t run alongside us and make sure to always properly supervise anyone under your care.”

4 Likes

Trentin wins the punchy sprint from Moscon and Andersen - Chaves finishes in the peleton and makes 7 seconds on some other GC contenders - Orica set up Cort who cracked in the last km - Chuckled reading the Orica field report detailing Trentin as a 2018 Orica rider.

1 Like

Orica would be happy - I imagine they signed Trentin at a discount compared to his value now.

1 Like

Definitely got him for a good price considering his palmares and at 28 he is coming into the peak of his powers - Hearing that Nieve is getting big money at Orica and not much change from 1 million - Also hearing that L.Hamilton is not past the post

And somehow Majka holds on to win stage 14 after starting the final climb with a lead of 1m and 30s - Lopez clipped off to finish second 26s behind with another 6s back to Nibali who outsprinted Froome - Chaves was 56 seconds back after attacking with 3.8 km to go which was far too early - Chaves needed to wait until 2.5km to go - Funny day as A.Yates was collecting bottles, S.Yates struggled from the bottom of the climb, while Haig rode alongside Chaves until 5km to go, and then checked out of the stage.

1 Like

Lopez and Contador attack on the final climb with 25km of the 28km left - Meanwhile A.Yates drops his breakaway companions Kruuswilk and Bardet and leads most of the climb between 1m and 1 20s - Six kms to go and Lopez attacks Contador and Bardet and quickly reels in A.Yates with 4 km to go - Lopez goes on to win the stage by 36s from Zakarin who attacked the peleton with 1km - Then nine seconds later followed Kelderman and Chaves - Lopes is strong and a decent TTer - He’s up to 6th in GC.

And Ewan wins stage 1 of the TOB after a perfect lead out from Mezgec - Re-signing Mezgec is a priority.