The Pro Cycling Thread

Think its a good summary by Armstrong. I disagree with his opinion on Dumoulin. This route suits him perfectly. He can ride in echelons and cobbles as evidenced by his win in the Bink Bank Tour. I fear for Quintana, especially as Movie Star lost most of their rouleurs.

1 Like

I agree. Dumolin should like it.
There’s only 3 MTFs and I think the ITT suits him.

No Orica Winery ride in 2017 - Strange as it’s been advertised for months - My guess its struggling for numbers - Anyway the Margaret River Tour this week has a number of WT riders in the Men’s and Women’s - Anyway Gerry Ryan shared in the ownership of Rekindling.

Michelton Scott CT sign Brian Chaves younger brother of Esteban - All i know is he is a climber and has a smile like Esteban.

Stable pony?

1 Like

He’s 20 years of age and races in under 23 races in Columbia - Nothing on PCS - Will ask one of the Colombian guys on Cycling News to obtain more information.

1 Like

Yes. I’ve been looking for details for 2017 for a while as I usually go. But I never found any ads for 2017, only old ads for 2016 winery ride. I am not surprised they stopped it. The crowds were in decline and the team was a little less enthusiastic each year. Seems to be a big shift in marketing focus - no more Dan Jones / BSP / no Winery ride. I would have expected they would do something else though - guess we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Not sure whether his nickname should be Juraj or Jackson

1 Like

I worry that there is little presence in Australia outside of the National’s and the TDU - I know the media/PR team complain the team doesn’t get enough prime time coverage in the print media when they are in Australia in January - You need to pick your mark ( time of the year ) to obtain the best media coverage and you need to have more of a presence in Australia - Reckon Chris Froome spends more time training in Australia and he rides for Sky.

1 Like
  • Michelton Bay Classic, Cadel’s race, Herald Sun Tour

I suppose it’s a result of having more foreign GC leaders with foreign climbing support - can’t really justify making them train in Australia in December when there aren’t long climbs.

But this is very argument - Jerry is again bankrolling the team with no sponsor on board for 2018 - It’s tough to get an Aussie sponsor when you have little presence in Australia - I will point out that other pro teams will travel to the country where their head sponsor is located,either for training camps or sponsor experiences - Anyway a perfect storm has created the chance for Ewan to ride the TDF in 2018 - Orica has an ordinary record in the TDF which combined with the team not wanting to face Froome, means the primary GC ambitions will be the Giro and the Vuelta - This means GC won’t be chased as hard in the TDF- The team wants to chase stage victories in the TDF to open up sponsorship opportunities - So at this stage Ewan will get his chance at the TDF - He won’t have a sprint train as such - Will probably have Mezgec on his side and the rest of the team as required - The only rider to this is if Froome decides to ride the Giro.

Froome has set the ‘cat among the pigeons’ with his decision to ride the Giro/TDF double in 2018 - That will mean four consecutive GT’s on the bounce - I fear this will shorten his career.

1 Like

Giro route announced

To me it doesn’t favour Froome or Dumoulin.
only 40km of TTing. 8 MTFs including the Zoncolan.

Why is Dunolin doing Giro again instead of the Tour?

He’s doing the Tour AFAIK.
I haven’t heard him categorically rule out the Giro, but I assume he won’t be riding it now.

Orica have an interesting decision - Their two GC focuses were the Giro and the Vuelta - Chaves was specifically taregetting the Giro, partially to avoid Froome - Will be interesting to see if Orica hold their nerve - Must say the Giro course has a stronger climbing bent then the TDF and better suits Chaves characteristics - Will also add the Giro is not as sprinter friendly as 2017 - Has a few punchy type finishes which suggests Trentin should ride - Anyway wait for the Ewan hype for the TDF in 2018 - As long as Ewan trusts Mezgec, he will be placed in prime position to win two stages at the TDF.

2 Likes

la Gazzetta saying Dumoulin “certain” to ride the Giro, according to CT.

Richie Porte likes this.

2 Likes

Orica Scott to be called Mitchelton Scott in 2018 - Jersey changed to a black with yellow around the shoulders and on the side - Like the new jersey - No more Moviestar Mark 2.

1 Like

Much better look.