The Pro Cycling Thread

Matthews should be a priority signing for MS for 2020. The team should never have allowed him to leave.

Would he want to come back?

why not. Matthews was treated well at MS, though he got a good offer from Sunweb at the time

And Dennis as expected dominates the ITT. Yates defends the red Jersey and extends his lead
Excellent ITT by Kruisjwik puts him up to third

Mas an smokey?

Pinot wins stage 19 of the Vuelta by 5 seconds from S.Yates and 13 seconds back to Kruisjwilk - Yates attacked the leaders with 10kms to go and bridged up to Pinot and Kruisjwilk - He drove this group and ended up taking 55 seconds from Mas/Lopez and 73 seconds on Valverde - he leads Valverde by 1 min and 38 seconds.

2 Likes

And one more difficult stage to go.

Think Valverde and Kruisjwilk will ride to protect their GC spots - Yates just has to follow wheels - It’s a perfect scenario.

1 Like

And Yates bridged alone bringing with him Mas to the two leaders Lopez and Quintana with 17kms to go - Quintana sat up to wait for an ailing Valverde - Mas and Lopez dropped Yates at the beginning of the final 6km climb who then rode at his own tempo to finish 24s behind Mas and Lopez - So the GC standings are S.Yates, Mas and Lopez - Interesting that Gerry appeared in the latest Backstage Pass - He will be extremely PROUD - Also interesting that Matt White is a bit snitchy with some in the media - He feels the ‘Australian Cycling Media’ has been from supportive of the team in recent times - Gotta add what a disgraceful effort from Richie Porte - Never wanted to be at the Vuelta and therefore never tried - And to think the Aussie team is wasting resources on him at the World’s

2 Likes

Adam Blythe joins Lotto, ostensibly to help Caleb Ewan.

A strange move - Blythe only lasted one year at Orica in 2016 because he couldn’t forge a working relationship with Ewan - It makes no sense at all - Gotta say the media coverage of Mitchelton Scott’s win at the Vuelta has been underwhelming to say the least - For heaven’s sake an Australian team has won a Grand Tour.

2 Likes

Dunno about never wanted to be there but after he was sick from the get go, it was a bit of a wasted tour.
And he treated it more like a training ride/camp to build fitness etc, have a bit of fun.

I’m actually a little doubtful about his prospects at Trek next year. He wont have the same support he had at BMC.

Porte never wanted to ride the Vuelta and therefore never tried - A very unprofessional performance on his behalf - The Aussies are wasting resources on him at the World’s - To think Matthews missed selection for Porte.

1 Like

Looks like I will be in OZ in mid January - Decision is whether to watch two days of the OZ Open or Two days of the TDU - The partner likes both sports - It will be a tricky decision.

1 Like

Matthew Hayman retires effective the TDU in 2019.

He’s had a wonderful career.

Well done Matt.

3 Likes

Mitchelton Scott’s long list for the TTT World’s on Saturday

Durbridge
Hamilton
Trentin
Impey
Howson
Hepburn
Bauer
Tuft
Meyer

Reckon Hepburn/Bauer/Durbridge/Impey/Meyer are certainties - 6th place is up for grabs - Get it right and MS can podium.

Pretty hard to see them beating BMC or Sky
Then again, BMC team motivation might be a problem.
I’d suggest Tuft is almost certain, possibly his last race in MS colours.

you would think BMC or sky would win TTT they usually do.

Impey will be a scratch.
Pulled out of the SA team (he was the TT rider)
““I have had a demanding season and there is just not much left to squeeze out.”

I know that both the men’s and women’s team targetted the ITT at the World’s - But injuries and fatigue have causes issues - Women’s team is without AVV, Kennedy keeps falling off her bike, while Manly broke her arm at La Course - Impey would have been one of the three key riders in the men’s ITT - Both teams should come top 5 but a podium is now doubtful - Will be interesting to see if their is pressure for one of the Yates to visit Australia in the summer - Thinking to extend my trip to OZ in January by four days to watch the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race.