The Pro Cycling Thread

So it seems like Impey has only withdrawn from the ITT at this stage - Life’s tough when you have a dysfunctional national organisation.

1 Like

yeh, getting the riders to pay for flights, accommodation, kit and support cars & staff is a bit much.
That being said MS would cover the first 3 mostly if he was in the TTT, but it would be hard to reconcile riding the TTT and pulling out of the ITT siting “tiredness”.

so the incompetence of a NATIONAL Federation can impact on a trade team. Its a strange world

I like this signing. Affini can develop into a classics rider. Four neo-pros joining MS in 2019.

1 Like

Tuft to US Pro Conti squad, Rally, for one more year.

Dion Smith joins MS on a two year deal. This is an excellent signing.

Kiwi, strong domestique type that can also ride classics?
MS communique suggest Bewley continues next year.

Bewley’s had a light season though his form has been good. An important part of the engine with the retirement of Hayman and Tuft.

Somehow MS have signed 5 neo-pros to the WT for the 2019 season. Stannard, Scotson, Affini, Smith and Schultz. Still some pending renewals Howson, Durbridge and Albasini. I am keen to keep Albasini for another season as he got better in the back half of the season.

Smith will be a Classics rider but can get over steeper territory.

I wouldn’t call Smith a neo-pro. He’s 25 with 2 years at Wanty.

The five riders are neo-pros at WT level. Yates x 2 ate up a big portion of the budget, so its expected that MS would look at cheaper options who have room for development.

Porte out of the WC road race due to illness.
I guess Matthews is the obvious choice as a replacement, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a pure climber like Ben O’Connor.

1 Like

Illness is a kind word to say Porte has been dropped for non-performance. Matthews is the logical replacement.

What about Simon Clarke?

no issue with Simon Clarke. The team protects Haig and he can a top 10 can be achieved.

My info is Kreuziger is well primed for this race and he is a good outsider.

MS TTT teams. Impey indeed is riding.
Women’s:
Jessica Allen (AUS, 24)
Jolien D´Hoore (BEL, 28)
Gracie Elvin (AUS, 29)
Lucy Kennedy (AUS, 30)
Sarah Roy (AUS, 32)
Georgia Williams (NZL, 25)

Men’s:
Jack Bauer (NZL, 33)
Luke Durbridge (AUS, 27)
Michael Hepburn (AUS, 27)
Daryl Impey (RSA, 33)
Cameron Meyer (AUS, 30)
Matteo Trentin (ITA, 29)

The women’s team comes fifth in the women’s TTT - Losing Manly through injury, having to use an out of shape Kennedy and no AVV or Spratt made the difference.

Good effort by Kaden Groves of Mitchelton Scott to finish 3rd in GC in the Tour of China Part 2 - Did well in the sprints inc a close second to Mareckzko in the final stage - How he wasn’t used as a sprinter in L’Avenir defies logic - He’s a possible WT rider.

And QS wins the men’s TTT from Sunweb and BMC. Mitchelton Scott 5th after having a good lead at the first checkpoint - They lost big time on the climb - Bauer struggled and Meyer was off his game.

And Nick Schultz replaces Richie Porte for the World’s RR - Bradley Mcgee never ceases to amaze.