The Pro Cycling Thread

Impey surprised me as i thought this parcours would be too challenging. Have a GOOD day and he could challenge in Amstel Gold. I guessed L.Hamilton was travelling well when he was selected in the TDU squad which is unusual for a 2nd year pro at MS. Would love to see Matthews one day at the TDU as this is his race.

1 Like

Feesl like last years result.
Impey 1st Porte 2nd.

Is that a good result for Rohan Dennis 5th overall?

1 Like

It’s probably good. The hills aren’t really challenging enough to get a real pointer, and the rest of the stages aren’t difficult enough to get a read on anything other than early season form.

In a surprise decision, new recruit Grmay will be the leader for the UAE tour. It means his numbers are good while the GC leaders stay in Europe. Stage 1 is a TTT which will put Grmay in a good place. In other news Juul Jensen has opened an Instagram account. It will be a bundle of laughs.

1 Like

Sierra (Astana) wins the womens Cadel Great Ocean race from a bold break.
MS couldn’t reel her in, but Kennedy and Spratt rounded out the podium.

It must have been a good performance by Sierra an up and coming rider who is more of a sprinter - Will watch a replay later.

Sprinter’s day for the Men’s Great Ocean Ride.
Viviani just a bit too good for Ewan. Impey 3rd.

I worry that Ewan had no support rider in the last km.

MS squad for the Sun Tour. Hamilton is the team leader.

Sam Bewley (NZL, 31)
Lucas Hamilton (AUS, 22)
Damien Howson (AUS, 26)
Nick Schultz (AUS, 24)
Callum Scotson (AUS, 22)
Dion Smith (NZL, 25)
Robert Stannard (AUS, 20)
1 Like

I am interested in comparing Hamilton’s performance against Sivakov who is also a 2nd year pro.

1 Like

Sun Tour Arthur’s Seat stage this Saturday - does anyone know what the deal is with road closures and how they apply to bikes? The website says the Arthurs seat climb is closed to traffic from 7.30am - does that include bicycles? So if I wanted to go watch the stage I need to get there by then (won’t happen) or go around the back way?

Honestly don’t know.
I suspect at the very least you’ll be able to walk up the hill until midday or just after.

Have no idea why MS had Stannard sprinting - He’s very decent on a punchy finale but not on a flat finish - Reckon Dion Smith is quicker for that finish - Then again Brad McGee did the same in L’Avenir when he used Stannard instead of Groves in the sprint finishes.

Chairlift?

Chairlift facebook says it will be running during the event.

McLay won stage 1 at Phillip Island.

Woods just beat Porte to take the lead after the Churchill stage

Top 10

1 Michael Woods (Can) EF Education First Pro Cycling 2:55:44
2 Richie Porte (Aus) Trek-Segafredo
3 Kenny Elissonde (Fra) Team Sky 0:00:17
4 Dylan van Baarle (Ned) Team Sky 0:00:19
5 Lucas Hamilton (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
6 Pavel Sivakov (Rus) Team Sky 0:00:43
7 Chris Harper (Aus) Team Bridgelane
8 Damien Howson (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
9 Nicholas Schultz (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
10 Robert Stannard (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott 0:01:54

1 Like

Looks like the CT crew are going to be there a lot later than 7am (arriving around midday), so I’m assuming they are going to let you ride up until the racers get near.

CT TRANSFER RIDE TO ARTHUR’S SEAT: HERALD SUN TOUR STAGE 4
SATURDAY 2 FEBRUARY 2019

With the return of Stage 4 of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour to Arthur’s Seat alongside the announcement that the race will take now on four laps, combined with a stunning sunny Summer day there was no way that we were going to miss the opportunity to head down to catch the action!

Where will CyclingTips be?
We’ll be stationed with Visit Victoria on the final corner of the Arthurs Seat climb, which this year also happens to be the finish line. There won’t be a better place on the hill to watch the action unfold! You’ll spot us with the CyclingTips marquees.

While there isn’t any official organised ride, we will be meeting at St Ali in South Melbourne from 10am for a pre-roll coffee. We expect the ride to Arthurs Seat to take approximately 3 hours.

What are the expected timings?
Feel free to join us at St Ali from 10am. While there is no official ride, we’d suggest departing around 11ish. That will get you to Arthurs before the road closures for cars.

Riders are expected approximately 2:45pm for the first lap, and the finish time is expected to be between 4:30pm and 5pm.

1 Like

I’ve been to Arthur’s Seat stage before, and the situation is the same as for most races. Road closures just apply to cars. Foot traffic and bikes are OK - even during the race as there will be big gaps in time / space as the riders complete each loop in a bunch + breakaway. Lots of people move around to different spots and cross the road. Just don’t be a dikk, obey marshalls’ instructions, and get off the road quickly when you hear the moto scouts and police advance convoy coming up behind you.

Be prepared for a bit of “advice” from the large bored crowd about how to correct your hubbardly climbing style if you leave it too late though.

2 Likes