The Pro Cycling Thread

It’s never good to see spectators alter the result of the race.

Just the ITT to come, Carapaz has enough of a lead, as long as he keeps it rubber-side down.

1 Like

Carapaz wins, Nibali then Roglic to round out the podium.

1 Like

It was a bit of a fizzer in the end.

Roglic just edged out Landa for third spot.
Carapaz lost time but still finished a minute ahead of nibali overall.

American guy won the stage which was nice.

And Will Clarke finished his first 3 week tour.

1 Like

I don’t think the GC riders had much left in the tank. I was quite surprised Roglic did poorly in the final ITT, not that he was going to catch Carapaz.

It was a poorly designed route and it was soft pedalled by the peloton. Breakaways won ten stages. To put this in perspective if you exclude 3 itt stages and six stages for the sprinters that leaves 12 stages and the breakaway won 10. Last giro the breakaway won 2 stages and one was gifted to Chaves by Yates.

2 Likes

The first half was pretty deadly boring too.

1 Like

Whats next? Tour de Suisse or Criterium du Dauphine
Dauphine will be broadcast on SBS

Dauphine starts this w/e

Happy that Mitchelton Scott have split Impey and Trentin between Suisse and Dauphine - Transfer News - UCI have mandated teams to have 27 riders in 2020 - MS currently have 24 so with the expectation that four riders leave, they’ll then need around 7 riders - Think it’s important that MS only get one neo-pro for 2020.

1 Like

Any truth to the rumour that Simon Yates is now going to ride the TdF?

I read this rumor - White does one crazy selection every year in a GT - And this would be crazy - You don’t need a big mountain train at the TDF when Sky dom’s can be shared around - Howson is definitely riding and you need one more climber - Anyway Haig is riding the Dauphine and may be right for the TDF - If not then you have an issue - You can’t back up Chaves or Hamilton and you gotta leave Nieve for the Vuelta, unless they trust Grmay whose form has been decent - Trentin and Impey can provide support for the medium mountains.

Anyway the team for the Dauphine is Haig, A.Yates, Impey, Smith, Mezgec, Howson and Schultz - Prefer that A.yates rode Dauphinee or Slovenia - History shows his best performances come when his races are close together - Three weeks between the Dauphine and the TDF is a worry.

2 Likes

Good story on Chaves

1 Like

There is a documentary coming out documenting Chaves’ journey from the 2018 Giro onwards - Apparently it focuses on how Chaves lost his ability to continue cycling as I alluded to in a post last year.

1 Like
1 Like

That could be his tour done and dusted right there.
The word on the street is pelvis fracture.

Fractured femur, elbow and ribs. You’d say done for the year.

Wout Van Aert wins the ITT, what a talent this guy is.
Dumoulin looks to be still suffering post Giro crash.
TJ 2nd.
Adam Yates into yellow - a solid ride, but take into account the best ITT riders were not there, injured or took the day off.

How good was Van Aert smashed everybody
Dumolins time was ok. just feels like he is going through the motions here, trying to find form.
Hoping Ritchie would have done better in ITT, but he was 11th in stage and now 12th overall.
Woods was poor and TJ smashed it second best time Dumolin third. Interesting if TJ is a leader now or at least until the hills lol. Yates has improved his TT.

Annoyed Froome crashed before event. was building up to be a good race.

1 Like

TdF bookies react

Thomas is a false favorite. I suspect his win in the 2018 TDF was a fluke. I would pull Bernal from the TDF and have him focus on the Vuelta.

Yates will find it difficult to defend the yellow. Howson and Schultz are consistent but limited while Haig is underdone after missing 3 months.

1 Like

There is one rider who is massively over the odds.