The Pro Cycling Thread

surprised how low Mikel Landa is.
would rate Dan Martin and Valverde ahead of him.

If it rains I can see Geraint Thomas crashing, he was lucky it didnt rain at all last year.

I wouldn’t rate any of them to win this TdF. Long shots IMO
I do agree that Thomas’ win last year was a massive outlier, I’d be very surprised if he can back it up.
Dumoulin still doesn’t look “right”. Fugsland, give me a spell!

Reckon Mas is over the odds - Tour of Suisse will tell us more - And Evanepoel gets his first pro win in stage 2 of the Belgium Tour by 42 seconds - He’s in the box seat for the GC - And Van Aert outsprints S.Bennett to win stage five of the Dauphine.

1 Like

van aert wins again.
He’s a challenger for Sagan for green jersey at Tour de France.
Win TT then mass sprint next day.

2 Likes

what were the odds for Carapaz in the Giro?

Van Aert is a beast, Evanepoel could be huge and Mathieu van der Poel, well…
There’s a new breed of classics, puncheurs riders coming on the scene; Sagan and the rest better look out!

Cobo will be stripped of his 2011 Vuelta due to historical analysis of his bloods. The new winner: Chris Froome.

How can Van Aert win the green jersey at the TDF when Groenewegen is the sprint leader and Kruisjwilk is the GC leader.

Hammer series comes to Columbia both mens and womens in Feb. Chaves makes the announcement on behalf of MS. Its a big hint in more ways than one.

Alaphillipe wins stage in Dauphine and king of the mountain jersey. Breakaway of 3 and they hold on and Allaphilipe just wins the sprint finish.
All main GC guys finished together. Yates still in Yellow.

It was a a boring stage at Dauphine - Riders saving themselves for the last two stages.

1 Like

Tour de Suisse kicks off with an ITT tonight

Maybe some chance for Hepburn or Trentin if in form.

1 Like

Wet wet wet dauphine stage Lusenko and woods were leading in breakaway, but caught, Quintana attacked but fired blanks and peloton caught him.
Then fugslang attacked and ride clear, but poels attacks less than a km to go and passes fugslang and wins the stage, fugslang second and Buchanan third.

Fugslang moves into the lead overall (8 seconds) Yates second TJ third and Buchanan fourth and poels fifth now.

Yates, dan Martin, Pinot,Bardet, TJVan Garderen, finished in the second group 10 seconds behind

Quintana and porte finished after the main contenders group with woods and lusenko losing over 30 seconds.

It’s been a lacklustre Dauphine which is partially related to the parcours - When you have a stage with three Cat 1 climbs and a HC climb which results in little between the top 6 or seven riders suggests there is little between the contenders and could be the case in the TDF.

The Dauphine is rarely that exciting. But this one has been exceedingly dull.

Dennis wins the opening stage (ITT) at the Tour de Suisse.
Bodnar was pipped by less than a second and Matthews rounded out the podium 1 second back.

Fugslang wins Dauphine
Tj Van Garderen 2nd
Buchman 3rd
Poels 4th
Pinot 5th

No change in standings except for Yates pulling out with 50kms to go.

Nothing really happened for final stage.
Breakaway won. (Haig came second)
TJ was only concerned about defending second not attacking.

Pinot only one to really attack out of contenders.

Porte got dropped on final climb to the finish and lost a few more seconds finishing outside of top 10.

Bardet/ Quintana were 9th/10th

Yates had stomach problems - a few in the peloton had the same (eg Woods).
Lu Lu Sanchez wins stage 2 at Tour de Suisse from Sagan and Trentin.