The Pro Cycling Thread

My understanding is s.yates will ride the TDF in support of his brother - So this means no GC or stage,s unless something happens to Adam - This seems like White’s yearly surprise selection at a GT - Realistically if Simon rides the TDF then you reserve Haig to ride for GC at the Vuelta - AFAIK the team is Yates x 2, Howson, Hepburn, Trentin, Impey, Haig - 8th rider could come from Bookwalter, Bauer or Juul-Jensen - Apparently Mezgec prefers to ride the Vuelta

MS announce their first new signing for next year.

Barnabás Peák, 20 yo Hungarian 2018 RR and ITT champion.

Peak is a talented rider who is WT standard. White likes all rounders and recruiting from SEG Academy. Hope they also get Groves as both will add to the Classics Squad.

Team for the TDF is

Yates x 2
Haig
Impey
Durbridge
Trentin
Juul-Jensen
Hepburn

Three riders backing up from the Giro - Howson will be disappointed - Who will lead the team at the Vuelta ?

Haig might back up?
i guess they’re all in for the TdF, and I guess if you’re going to do it, this year is the one to do it.

I could nearly name the Vuelta line up today - Chaves, Nieve, Howson, Bewley, Schultz, Mezgec are certainties - rest from Smith, Bauer, Bookwalter, Gmay

Co leaders Thomas and Bernal

TdF underway with a bang.
Teunissen wins stage 1 from Sagan and Ewan.
All good for my fantasy team!

That was one that got away for Ewan (at least once Groenewagon had crashed…)

Ewan out of position and blocked twice in the last 300 metres - One that got away for Ewan - Groenewegen was never going to win that stage as the finish was too tough for him - TTT will be interesting with a few sore and sorry riders.

Biggest things from stage 1 was fugslang and Thomas crashing.

Was dissapointed Sagan was just pipped at the line.

TT was good.

Teunissen still in Yellow after his team won a second stage. Some good Dutch riders there.

A fail from MS, losing 20 seconds to Ineos. Hell, even FDJ and Katusa beat them.
A bigger fail for Trek and Porte. They finished 1.20 back from the winners, and 1m down on Ineos, AGR2 & Bardet in the same boat.

A real punchy stage tonight. Sagan, Alaphilippe, Mattthews, GVA and Valverde will love this one.

Porte losing over a minute dissapointing, but was expected in team TT

I wonder if Ewan can do this finish. It seems similar to stage 4 of the Giro.

MS a bit disappointing in the TTT. Hepburn finished 3m and 56s down which suggests he had a bad day.

I reckon the Cote de Mutigny, 12% for 900m, just 12km from the end will kill his chances.

It’s still a sprinters stage tonight right?

Do you think it suits Matthews/Sagan more than Ewan?

or will one of the GC guys try and make up some time? Given all the time differences the peloton may let someone go that is over a minute behind like bardet.

No it’s not a sprinter’s stage. It’s a classics, puncheurs special IMO

There’s time bonuses on hand for the Cote de Mutigny.

This has Sagan/GVA/Matthews/Alaphillipe/Valverede written all over it.

Ewan did get to the finish in a Paris Nice stage this year, but crashed out with 6 kms to go - There is every chance that Ewan may wait for stage 4.

Nice move by Alaphillipe