The Pro Cycling Thread

Yet some teams were still caught out.

Ewan is an interesting case. Blythe was imposed on him and no surprise he has not ridden the Giro or the TDF. Posted at the time Ewan wouldnt necessarily have a much stronger lead out at LS. He has been fairly much alone in the last 500 metres. He couldnt convince Mezgec who is an excellent lead out rider to leave MS. Anyway he is around the mark and probably has three more chances

1 Like

Matthews was the annoying one had the lead out train, but left his sprint too late.
they all came past from behind.

Johan said that Allaphillipe instigated the big move with his team Quickstep, then Ineos stepped up.
more time gaps than a mountain stage.

never relax
never be in second part of pelaton

those stages makes the difference in a shot at the podium.

Ineos dont look as strong, but still very organised

Johan said Pinot and Fugslang tried to bridge the gap up a climb and blew up their helpers in the second group. They could have ridden a hill easier and kept the group together and kept gap to 40 seconds

1 Like

So how much of a shot do Buchmann and Mas have at winning this thing?

BUCHMANN is not a GT GC rider - he’s best suited to shorter stage races and one week stage races - Mas struggled all season but there are one or two riders who get their peak ready for the TDF - ITT will tell us more about Mas - he can finish within 30 to 40 seconds of Thomas then he’s in form - he also helped by Alaphalippe taking the pressure for QS - Mas between 5th to 8th - Had to laugh at Brailsford’s assertions that some teams dont give their GC rider enough support - He used MS as an example which was well off the mark - This is MS who has gone in one break for one win and Trentin who has tried in the bunch sprints was the rider who expertly guided A.Yates through the crosswinds.

Quintana and Porte both involved in a crash with 30ks to go. Both back up and chasing with their teams supporting them.

1 Like

Super win by Caleb! Wins by a rim.

3 Likes

Brilliant finish by Ewan to recover from being caught up behind a crash.

On to the mountains!

1 Like

Amazing win by Ewan given his lead out man fell with 10ks to go and he actually unclipped to avoid falling himself.

Given it was a sprint leg I watched the morning hourly recap instead of staying up late… and then accidentally listened to the radio news before doing that.

It certainly made me focus on all the “oh he’s stuffed, this leg is impossible to get back to the front with no teammates” comments!

1 Like

Great comeback after getting stuck with 10km to go. That win has been coming and it’s well deserved.

Climbing stage tonight.

With the ITT stage tomorrow, I expect the GC riders will mostly save their pennies.
Fair chance a breakaway will stay away.

It would be awesome if a contender who is weaker in the time trail goes for it tonight. I would love to see someone lay down the baton to see if the other teams work to chase.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pinot try, but he’ll have to work out how much putting in a big effort here will impact his TTing tomorrow, which is already a major issue (even if he appears to have improved in this area).

1 Like

Great to see Ewan win, he has now won a stage in all 3 big tours.

On the move they reckon movistar will have a crack at tomorrows stage.
Send Landa up the road earlier.

Also that Quintana is on the move and going to a small french team next season for 3 year contract and that Landa might stay at Movistar now instead of going to Bahrain.

1 Like

Yeh, joining Barguil at Arkéa Samsic. Rumor has it that Winner Anacona is following him. With Carapaz likely to Ineos, Movistar would want to hold on to one of their GC riders. Although Landa is universally unloved there.

My understanding is Movistar has not offered Landa a contract and there is no Bahrain Merida. He may end up at Ineos who rate him highly.
ya
Think Ewan could have won a stage last year at the TDF but when your manager puts Shane Bannnon offside then your papers are stamped.

Think this will be a breakaway day and i dont want Mitchelton Scott to infiltrate the break.

I can see all the non (GC) contending teams trying to win this.

Lance picked Nibali

Id like a breakaway. but close enough so that a GC Contender could climb up the final mountain and ride with the breakaway to the finish.

Like to see something big from pinot.

Will be interesting to see which riders go up the road.

For ritchie be good if a couple trek riders go up the road then can pace him down the hill and he can get some time back.

I can see Ineos just riding tempo and it being a sprint with whoever is left, maybe allaphillipe.

Porte will never take time on a descent and his team has hardly been supportive so far during the TDF - Wait for the ITT and if he finishes within 20 seconds of Thomas then he is in form - My three for today are Geschke, Caruso and Kangert.

1 Like