The Pro Cycling Thread

Gotta say the new sprint train of neo pros O’Brien and Stewart along with Konyshev is working well for Groves. Its also pleasing that Groves is showing consistency. Reckon Groves and Konyshev could feature in todays hilly stage in Oman. Would like Groves to ride in some classics. The Tour of Turkey is his race.

Gigante has COVID so out the tour of Gippsland. She plans to return to Europe in March and April.

She’s cursed.

Do you realise she’s completed 23 race days in two years as a pro ? That’s why she should be in Europe now with women’s racing kicking off in a week - Anyway there is a good calendar of stage races from June which suit her characteristics - Fun fact ; She shares an apartment in Girona with the new BEX recruit Stephanie Faulkner - Finally, countries need to step up their talent ID for juniors and seniors to meet the demands of the growing women’s peleton.

Edit - The NZ Championships should have been postponed for a day - They ended up being Mickey Mouse races.

Edit - The NZ Nationals were a disaster today because of adverse conditions - The climb which is a feature of the laps was removed which changed the complexion of the races - Women’s edition reduced to 90kms while the men’s race was stopped at short notice with 90kms raced, with James Fouche declared the winner - I wonder why they did not have a reserve day in play - I also why they dont have their Nationals at the same time as OZ.

1 Like

Gigante is good at E Cycling, while its possible that Movistar wants the social media clicks for branding, however it would be better if she returns to Europe ASAP.

Bex womens team for Valenciana is Baker, Manly, Campbell, Fidanza, Sansteban, Roseman-Gannon and Allen. I want to see how the sprint team goes in the 2 flat stages.

Edit - BEX have named a strange team for the UAE Tour - Groenewegen, Mezgec, Groves, O’Brien, Stewart, Howson and Bewley. Is Groenewegen going to have a train of 20 - Groves and O’Brien should be riding opening weekend - Stewart should be good as the second last lead out rider - Four riders from BEX have yet to make their seasonal debut - Kangert who is injured, Janssen no idea where he’s at and the first year pro’s in De La Pena and Balmer.

Very slick Ineos team for UAE Tour. Excited to see how Plapp goes. I wouldn’t mind sitting in Ganna’s wheel all day

1 Like

RRG second behind the world champion, Elisa Balsamo, at Setmana Valenciana-Volta Comunitat Valenciana Fémine.
Manly was 4th.

1 Like

Watched Ruby’s race - Not as fast as Balsamo in the final but an outstanding result - Yates is not suited to the Parcours at Ruta Del Sol - Probably would have been better suited to the UAE tour - Sobrero has been disappointing as he’s much better than he has showed in this race.

1 Like

First race of the season for both, I wouldn’t read too much into it. They are just getting miles into the legs.

I would focus on BEX getting riders into the break because most teams lack depth to control the race, so I expect one of the last three stages to get to the break - I can’t see Yates doing much on GC with this parcours.

Sobrero pulled out and was a DNS for stage 2, clearly something not right.

Yates was strong but an unsuitable parcours.

Philipsen slams the door shut on Groenewegen, Jasper should have been relegated there.
Groenewegen wins that sprint for that move.

Believe that Groenewegen was the fastest in the final - Anyway, he’s got a good sprint train which should deliver him a victory - Yates was very good in the last two stages of Ruta Del Sol - Still think he could have achieved a better result at the UAE Tour, but he should have a good performance at PN, providing its not too cold and there are no crosswinds - Anyway, Simon has a decision to make about his future, as he’s been informed there will be less support for him next year.

1 Like

Jayco BEX really stuffed up the run up to the sprint on stage 2, going way too hard at 2km to go.
Cavendish did it easy.

They picked an unbalanced team - Groves and O’Brien should have missed - Should have had Edmondson and another climber - At the same time, Groenewegen is a bit cautious in his approach from 1k to 500 metres to go and must have more faith in Mezgec - They are also using Groves incorrectly - He should not be part of the sprint train, but instead latch onto other sprint trains and be a second option. Anyway I’m waiting for P/N to see Jakobsen and Groenewegen go head to head - I suspect they have an agreement one will not go inside the other.

1 Like

Good ride from the Australians on the Queen stage of Oman.
Howson, Hindley Bewick all 3 seconds from the winner.
Plapp quite impressive and pulling turns for Adam Yates and finishing 16 seconds down.

In other news BikeExchange to start OHN and KBK with only 5 riders.

BEX stuffed up another sprint final - I see three issues - Riders 4 and 5 are too far back with 1.5kms to go - Groenewegen MUST glue himself to Mezgec’s wheel - They need Edmondson to be the second last rider because he will get Mezgec and Groenewegen into a good position in the last 600 metres - Anyway, Edmondson, Mezgec and Groenewegen are riding P/N. Have no idea why BEX are riding KBK with five riders - The women’s team has options if it comes to a sprint finish in Het.

Jarrad Drizners crashed out of the UAE Tour and is in hospital & will require surgery.