The Pro Cycling Thread

Ewan is a concern - He’s getting to the finish but does not have the strength to finish off the race. We will learn more after Sunday’s stage - I would prefer that he miss San Remo and ride the cobbled race GP Denain next Thursday - Groenwegen is also a concern ( less so ) because he is losing Mezgec’s wheel - His speed is still good and he should have won stage one if he kept Mezgec’s wheel in the final. Bling is a worry because he’s started two stage races and either got injured or fell ill. This is frustrating because his form seems to be good. Still no sign of Schmid or Scotson. Plapp’s performance is no surprise, especially seeing he has come off altitude. AT TA, I definitely want to see De marchi in a break in the next two stages and hope Zana can hold on in GC.

1 Like

Plapp rides a mature race to finish 6th on GC at PN - TA was a washout with Zana performing below expectations and the three sprinters out before the last stage.

Paternoster with an excellent 4th in Drenthe - Howver, her performance again showed the weakness in Jayco management’s of selecting suitable riders for races and choosing a suitable calendar for the charcateristics of the team. Paternoster was a last minute replacement for an ill rider, but yet with her skillset she should be riding most of these cobbled type races in Belgium and Holland.

1 Like

The first monument, MSR is done for another year.
A small bunch got away over the top of the Poggio, Mohoric attacked first, then Sobrero, Pidcock before a small bunch sprint, Phillipsen by less than half a wheel over Matthews.

My eyes had shown me that Bling was in good form despite crashing out of Valenciana and falling ill at PN - Impressive ride by Da Pretto being in the second group - I wonder if Ewan will ride before the Giro - He asked not to ride in Belgium and none of the stage races suit him - The only chance is if the team makes a late entry for Turkey. The team is riding Catalunya with Yates as the leader, however he’s not in top shape - The important stage race for the team this week is the Coppa Bartoli in which they can achieve a good result.

Will be watching Alfredo Binda tonight as I want to see how Gigante performs - She yet again has had a strange calendar with no races since the CRR.

2 Likes

My information about S.Yates was proven correct as he dropped 59 seconds on an easy first stage in Catalunya - Schultz gets a breakout performance after leading the peleton for the last 4kms, he skipped away in the last km on a brutal finish to hold off Pogacar.

Jayco is suffering with injuries/illnesses to their climbing group - They struggled to get a team together for MSR, then only start Coppi bartali with 5 riders which was a target race for the team - And Schmid was a last minute withdrawal for the third or 4th time this year.

That was a rubbish decision to relegate Bling from third position in Ronde De Vlaanderen It was the merest of deviations and did not affect the sprint. A mighty performance from Bling who missed every split in the last 100kms.

2 Likes

Yeah, a fairly weak decision.
Just watch 100 other “deviations” far worse this season go unpunished.

1 Like

Bling had an interesting season. Once he has got to monument distances his form has been exemplary. Ewan will go into the Giro with no racing since TA so who knows how he will perform. Watch for Walscheid in PR. Top 10 last year and his form in Ronde was excellent.

1 Like

1 Like

Some idiotic plan to slow everyone going into the Arenburg trench at PR this Sunday.
What could go wrong?

I support anything which makes racing safer. Groenewegen third behind Merlier in Scheldeprijs which is just about his level, while DePretto fourth in stage 3 of Basque Country.

Anyone got much feedback on the launch of the ProVelo Super League?

Horrible crash at Basque Country.
Vingegaard collarbone and ribs
Evenepoel clavicle & scapula
Vine several vertebrae
Roglic went down but finished.

shocking crash. rumours tree roots under the road lifted it and made it bumping. they were going pretty quick through that section too.

shocking luck for Visma the last few weeks

1 Like

Poor old Vine seems to always catch the worst of it.

1 Like

On top of all that Lenny Kamna got hit during training.

Lennard Kämna was involved in a traffic accident that occurred during a training ride on Tenerife. He is in a stable condition, he is awake, responsive and able to communicate. Lennard Kämna suffered numerous injuries. He is receiving very good care in the hospital on Tenerife and will be monitored in the intensive care unit over the next few days. Members of his family and the team are with him.

According to initial findings on the accident, the driver of an oncoming vehicle turned left into Lennard Kämna’s lane and collided with him. At the time, he was riding with the training group, which was accompanied by team coaches. No other team riders or coaches were involved in the accident.

1 Like

That’s hard to look at when it’s all laid out like that. Speedy recovery for them all I hope.

Forget how tough and brutal cycling is sometimes. Hard as nails these guys

1 Like

The crash in Basque Country but its aftermath showed the tactical naivety of Jayco. The team is amt the race chasing stages, so should have had a rider in the break. They only have Hamilton, Dunbar, schmid and DePretto who could won from that break.

Not sure too many riders cared after that crash.