The Protector Role

Was in the Crowley thread and thinking who in the past has played that “protector” role for us.
I know it’s a different game these days and the repercussions are massive but it’s still important to have the type of player that will run 100m out of their way to let the opposition know that rubbing his teammates face into the ground is not on, especially if it’s a young bloke.

I think we have lacked that person since McVeigh and I don’t think it’s any coincidence that some of our greatest teams have had atleast one guy that made the opposition think twice about trying to intimidate or bully our players.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts and maybe a few old stories about players coming into bat for each other, would really love to hear from some of our older blitzers on who used to play that protector role back in the toughest time of footy in the 60’s and 70’s.
Anway, I’m tipping Crowley will be a crowd favorite by years end…him and Tippa ofcourse.

Merret
Andrews

Dean Wallace.
Paul Barnard
Alwyn Davey*

• May be joking a little bit

Solomon

Mcveigh never intimidated anyone on field imo, but he was always there to stick up for his teammates if they got into a scuffle

I would have Mcphee as a protector way before McVeigh. Was a hard nut too.

Don McKenzie

Nathan lovett murray just ask the carr brothers

KO’d Josh Carr and prematurely ended Kerr’s career

https://youtu.be/rf3zEiRTNYg
ALL OF THE LIKES.

The game peaked at the same time as us.

Just so damn good.

Our whole back line in the 2000’s. Hardwick, Mark Johnson, Wallis and Soloman never took sh*t from anyone.
Harvey was great too. I remember seeing him sprint from the backline to the forward if anyone tried anything.

I would love to see this return and people start fearing us again. Unsocial football!

Wooshfold.

His enemies would hear a faint ‘woosh’… then experience a peaceful silence.

Back when footy was good, love the way we played. WANT to see that again please

Please delete. The Hanger is not an appropriate place for posting ■■■■■■■■■■■.

Our whole back line in the 2000's. Hardwick, Mark Johnson, Wallis and Soloman never took sh*t from anyone. Harvey was great too. I remember seeing him sprint from the backline to the forward if anyone tried anything.

I would love to see this return and people start fearing us again. Unsocial football!

Don’t forget (Nota) Wellman !! Led from the front, never a backward step.

Essendons greatest tackles that didn’t quite stick vol 1

I watched that first vid and once again pondered the disaster that was Hardwick leaving.

I watched that first vid and once again pondered the disaster that was Hardwick leaving.
Killed us. Worse than Caracella, Blumfield and Heffernan leaving.

Ronnie Andrews was a great protector and extremely tough. At the tribunal one day Brian “whale” Roberts was asked if he recalled Ronnie hitting him. He replied “I thought I got kicked by the police horse!”

Ronnie Andrews: Leigh Matthews said he was the only person he feared on the football field

Roger Merrett though much of the “enforcer” publicity was unfair.

Tuddenham

Ronnie Andrews needs a decent wiki page.
Marcus seecamps was more exciting.