The Protector Role

Heffernan was very underrated in terms of toughness

Watching those vids (which are awesome btw), so many of those hits and tackles would result in free kicks or suspensions now.

The game has really gone down the toilet

Nathan lovett murray just ask the carr brothers

KO’d Josh Carr and prematurely ended Kerr’s career

https://youtu.be/rf3zEiRTNYg

Tell ya what man, those brought tears to my eyes. Those were the farkin days I enjoyed footy. And not just because we were on top of the game, but because it was a great sport to watch. only in comparison can you see how vanilla it has become. To see Lucas & Lloydy tag team some poor carnt defender into the ground, Hardwick & Solly smashing through carnts, the Johnson boys…fark me. What happened and how did we get here…

And yeah, i quoted the farkin videos - watch em again.

Billy Duckworth
Derek Kickett

These two knew how to look after themselves and their team mates around them.

Kickett in particular dealt out some fearsome hip and shoulders on his opponents at times and didn’t mind shaping up in brawls such as quarter time in the 1990 GF. I think he was in the same mould as Maurice Rioli in regards to his boxing skills, not quite a golden gloves but very handy nonetheless.

Great video, but fark me there would be a ■■■■-tonne of free kicks if you did that these days.

Way to ruin a great product, AFL…

That first video reminded me of why Hardwick was my favourite player as a kid.

Great video, but fark me there would be a ■■■■-tonne of free kicks if you did that these days.

And so a lot of them should have been
I too like the “rougher” style of play but you can’t have dozens of players retiring early with permanent brain damage

SHELTON, Ian (Bluey) was my favorite tough player followed by “Macca” a little later.

And so a lot of them should have been
I too like the “rougher” style of play but you can’t have dozens of players retiring early with permanent brain damage

Why not?

j/k

Edwards can turn into one I reckon.

Don’t need protectors, you need a few players who take every opportunity to punish anyone who gets in their way.
Fairly. Squarely.

Them you need everyone else to ‘fly the flag’ if someone gets roughed up.

Barry Young was another good one.

Don't need protectors, you need a few players who take every opportunity to punish anyone who gets in their way. Fairly. Squarely.

This year the role take on added significance for the team and perhaps a redefinition of the role, at least from the traditional enforcer role to protect. due to the absence of our senior core, we have a greater need than any other team, in any other period for our protectors to become reality instructors as well. They will need to not only look after our first and second year players nad make sur ethye don't get beat up too badly in physical match ups, by taking the brunt of many of the heavier bumps around packs, but must also school them in how to play the game at the highest level.

This could well be why Disco went for older bodies and heads when selecting the 10 new players to fill the list this year. The opportunity was there to select younger players, with perhaps a chance to uncover an0other Mitch Brown for next season and beyond going forward. l recall a few on here questioning the reasons for not selecting younger players. The reasons are not apparent as yet, but this is a very real possibility. So there is an educational aspect as much as a duty of care issue.

Kink!
Farkin psycho

Who do you reckon will be our future protector hard nuts?

I’m gunna go very very early and say Parish

Way to ruin a great product, AFL

I’d say that they’ve ruined a great sport by making it a product.

Maybe it’s a bias effect from it being teenage years but the game was so good to watch from 1995-2000. Much more difficult to sit through neutral games without boredom setting in these days.

Don't need protectors, you need a few players who take every opportunity to punish anyone who gets in their way. Fairly. Squarely.

No one in that team ever took a backward step. Just looking at that made me realise what a truly hard man Dimma was for his size. Amazing.

Protector Hard Nuts?
Is that like a ■■■■ name or something?

This year the role take on added significance for the team and perhaps a redefinition of the role, at least from the traditional enforcer role to protect. due to the absence of our senior core, we have a greater need than any other team, in any other period for our protectors to become reality instructors as well. They will need to not only look after our first and second year players nad make sur ethye don't get beat up too badly in physical match ups, by taking the brunt of many of the heavier bumps around packs, but must also school them in how to play the game at the highest level.

This could well be why Disco went for older bodies and heads when selecting the 10 new players to fill the list this year. The opportunity was there to select younger players, with perhaps a chance to uncover an0other Mitch Brown for next season and beyond going forward. l recall a few on here questioning the reasons for not selecting younger players. The reasons are not apparent as yet, but this is a very real possibility. So there is an educational aspect as much as a duty of care issue.

Jack, Its especially interesting that the first top up to get the call from Disco was Crowley. We already had Bird on the list as a replacement tagger. But to me the most important protector for the younger players is the player that takes a Dangerfield, a Mitchell or an Ablett out of the game or at least limit their influence. We saw how Dangerfield cut us up in the NAB cup. Negate these players and hopefully it will protect our younger players from the soul destroying losses that might otherwise have suffered.

It has been said that Crowley will spend time in the forward line in 2016, but I reckon we will only send him there to rest when his opponent goes for a sit on the pine or when Bird does the tagging.

Jack, Its especially interesting that the first top up to get the call from Disco was Crowley. We already had Bird on the list as a replacement tagger. But to me the most important protector for the younger players is the player that takes a Dangerfield, a Mitchell or an Ablett out of the game or at least limit their influence. We saw how Dangerfield cut us up in the NAB cup. Negate these players and hopefully it will protect our younger players from the soul destroying losses that might otherwise have suffered.

It has been said that Crowley will spend time in the forward line in 2016, but I reckon we will only send him there to rest when his opponent goes for a sit on the pine or when Bird does the tagging.

That is along the lines of what l was getting at.

Protector Hard Nuts?
Is that like a ■■■■ name or something?

Sounds like a brand of cricket boxes.