The Reigning DJ King (MKV) @Preliminary_Point2...playing some stuff

JohnRain, Kira, Preliminary_Point2, mrjez, frosty, Swoodley, wimmera1, Paul_Peos, Klawdy, yourself and AVanderScreamer so far mate.

Same Same

Yes, go for it @BAAKKEERRRR

Hopefully AVS won’t mind. I’ll take the blame :slight_smile:

OK, I don’t generally like live recordings. A concert is a 3D experience, where you need the sights and sounds to completely envelop you. You need to feel the bass rumbling in your rib-cage. You need to have your ears shredded by the high notes and feedback. You need to see the whole picture, not just one camera’s version of it. Listening to/watching a tape of it just isn’t the same.
Anyway, I’ve tried to find 3 examples where the live version is at least the equal of the studio-recorded version…

Devo… light years ahead of their time. This transports me straight back to 1981-1982 when 3XY and EON-FM played the hell out of this live EP

Midnight Oil at their peak were absolutely electric (and they were WAY better with Peter Gifford on bass too…). Peter Garrett when he really had a bug up his ■■■■ was a scary sight to behold. Some of those 70’s recordings, where a sweary Garrett rails against Malcolm Fraser, are quite at odds with his latter-day elder statesman status.

Mike Patton is bat-■■■■ crazy. Completely unhinged, but he somehow manages to (generally) keep the lunacy balanced by tunes. What I really like about Tomahawk is John Stanier’s beautifully economical and precise drumming. But then, he’s always been that way (see also Helmet).

1 Like

Absolutely, Crumbs. Someone’s gonna play a 3-song set of live recordings soon (this week’s change up in style) and join in the voting. Then someone will nominate you to have a go soon enough.

1 Like

Missed your set @hambo. Would’ve been all yesses, nice work.

1 Like

YYY. Great choices.

Y - huge Devo fan. the last shows they did here with eddy current supporting were amazing!
Y - killer oils song and footage
N - I know mike personally and opened for Tomahawk in Melbourne. But not a fan of this project.

4 Likes

Y - Doesn’t suffer in comparison to the studio version
N - Oils need to either be in the audience and drunk or recorded version cause Garrett is a shocking singer.
N - WTF was that! Just no.

1 Like

Yep
Yep
Nope

So is he as…erm… unpredictable as his music? To be honest, that’s what I like about his work. Don’t love all of it, but it’s great when it works!!

Not infront of me. Nice dude with a seemingly huge interest in all types of music and has helped me allot when he didn’t need to

4 Likes

I like hearing things like that. They say you should never meet heroes (for fear they might let you down) - and there are plenty of musical arseholes out there - so it’s reassuring to hear good stories.

1 Like

Fresh meat! Fresh meat! Welcome!

YYN.

4 Likes

NYY

I’m going to go YYY

Was undecided on the Tomahawk one because I’m not feeling it with these live in the studio ones as much as with the rawer ones with clear connection with the audience, but @crumbs story pushed it over the edge.

1 Like

YNN

16-8 (200%)

YYY

While I wouldn’t be listening to Tomahawk too often. I love Mike Patton. He’s just a complete nut who couldn’t survive without Music and sound. A bit like Anton Newcombe of BJM.

@BAAKKEERRRR delivered for me

YNY well done Bakes, set got through in an hour.

1 Like

LIVE SET #12: DJ BAAKKEERRRR
Freedom of Choice/Whip it, by Devo
Lucky Country, by Midnight Oil
God hates a coward, by Tomahawk

YYY (jez)
YYN (crumbs)
YNN (LB)
YYN (Hoffy)
YYN (Klaw)
NYY (Peos)
YYY (frosty)