THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2019

A bad game like last night happens to even the best sides. BUT, the best sides also have a track record of consistent competitive football to make you confident they have the players and coaches and game plan to get them to finals and win once they are there. Thats why last night makes it difficult and frustrating for supporters. Based on past form we expect another LWLLWWLLLWL cycle. There are some very good bits to the team, but it’s been hard to have them working consistently.

2 Likes

You didn’t actually expect us to win though right? I’ve had this penciled in as a loss since the draw came out. Next week too. And Adelaide in Adelaide. And Collingwood in round 23. The only 2 surprises so far this year have been Sydney and St Kilda.

Yeah, I expect my team to win. That’s what successful sides do!

I don’t expect to lose and I certainly don’t plan on it.

I doubt West Coast planned on losing last year and I doubt the Tigers or Bulldogs before them did either.

We are just a below average team.

1 Like

You’re just contradicting yourself. Anyway this thread is to discuss What we need to do or if it’s even possible to make finals. Most predicted 6 on the run home to make 12 wins and maybe scrape in. If we pinch a tough game finals are certain. If we lose an easy one finals are off the table.

Of course I’m contradicting myself.

The trouble is that when you complain about the side you get branded with the gloomer tag rather than the realist.

Its hard to see us beat GWS based on last nights performance.

But what a wise man once said (McGrath) Fans take too much notice of what happens week to week.

We really need Stringer in to add some class up forward.
At least we are on our home deck.
Would like a Debut to bring in some excitment, but with the short week its unlikley to play VFl and backup Thursday.
It will be interesting if some players only play a half in the VFL this week or are rested.

I will be tipping GWS this week, if we win we are in the hunt for the 8. But a loss means no finals and perhaps a change of coach sooner than later. which means the emotions should be high and I think its either an upset close win by us or we will get flogged.

1 Like

Reality if not something you seem comfortable with.

1 Like

Yeah, unlike the full gloomers like DKP I still want and expect my team to win.

I don’t believe in the "building’ reality that some others believe.

I firmly believe that there is no time like the present.

Reality is Killer, that beating WC in Perth especially after they had a big loss, and we have our best two big forwards out was always going to happen.

Reality is that we have our strongest list for many years, and our VFL results show our depth. Our best 22, playing its best game can beat anyone, but it may never occur to have the best on the park. Brown and Smack are VFL players, who very occassionly play a good game in the firsts. Expecting them to shine in Perth is not reality.

I also reject any “building” mantra as you have to win games to build on.

3 Likes

I think injuries are an excuse also.

Doggies copped horrendous injuries in their premiership year.

Our club has a lot of excuses.

I believe we have a finals capable list on talent not a top 4 list
probably 6-10th

unfortunately - Daniher, Smith are sidelined for the year.

Our midfield although improved is still a weakness. and they do not work hard enough to bring the ball from defence, and transition through the ground against good opposition.

It would be nice if we beat saints and Swans, as at least we could have said we dealt with the rubbish sides, alas at least we beat carlton.

I think most would agree we have underperformed this year.

GWS, cats, Eagle losses can live with, and given the way they accounted for us we would just be making up the numbers.

Needed to pinch the one from the pies - Did we only get close to Daniher Brilliance?

Tigers loss was dissapointing given they were undermanned and lost the next couple.

saints and swans losses were poor

Wins against - Brisbane, Fremantle, Carlton, Melbourne North, we haven’t beaten anyone good.

2 Likes

I’ll take into consideration that this was said by a kid who only just had his 21st birthday, and not tee off like John friggin’ Daly on it.

Yet Brisbane and Freo are in the 8 taking our place !

Not just an excuse but Joey, Stringer and Devo are probably 3 of our top 5 players, so it is also a compelling reason.

And Raz is also arguably top 5 and not right

Always excuses for Essendon. That’s part of the problem.

2 Likes

You win games and finals I think based on the calibre of your bottom 5 rather than top…

Last night I thought we had probably a bottom half dozen on the field across every line. With perhaps our defence given a passmark considering the pressure they were on.

One thing is clear, we cant carry both Walla and Raz when they are flat and we struggled with a contested mark. The eagles were too strong in the air. (with a very greasy footy their handling was excellent)

Nine games to go and a minimum of 6 wins needed to possibly make the finals.
No way Essendon will win interstate against Adelaide and Freo. Hell Gold Coast away won’t be a pushover given Essendon’s long history and tradition of interstate capitulation.
Add in losses also to GWS and Collingwood.

Can confidently state that 11 wins is the maximum possible, a best case scenario.

But, hey we’re learning right! Should be the Club motto “Forever learning ( never graduating)”.

i still want them to win, don’t lump me in with it.

I also understand true change only really happens when you hit rock bottom, sadly i don’t think we’ve reached that yet.

We will not make finals now, draw is way to hard.

Another year of disappointment.