THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2019

8 Likes

Iā€™d give us 70/30 against Dogs (4th bottom of ladder) and 50/50 against Freo.

Probably 25/75 against GWS and Collingwood.

So roughly around the same as mine except you have the Swans as a win and the Dogs a 50/50 shot. The Dogs was the game that caused me the most consternation, I donā€™t think they are any better than us but we havenā€™t beaten them for several years and they seem to have our number

Even when we are half decent the Dogs smack us at Marvel and itā€™s nearly always in the same manner. Our record interstate fills me with no great hope against Freo either

Iā€™d wager any amount of money weā€™d beat the Dogs this year. Theyā€™re rubbish. I donā€™t get spooked by past seasons. Iā€™m not totally confident on the Freo one, but now we have Clarke to limit Fyfe. I think itā€™s the flip of a coin.

They have a style that worries us. Weā€™d need to up our intensity to beat them - and we have a habit of not upping intensity.

They might be rubbish but an Essendon supporter should well and truly be spooked about past results because we have seen it far too often. No matter how good/bad sides are there are times when a certain club just has your measure and vice versa

Will you use the same coin as what you bet on us to beat the Dogs because i canā€™t help but be reminded of the old saying " A fool and his money are soon parted" :stuck_out_tongue:

Because you would have to be pretty foolish to put money on Essendon ever. I bet quite a bit and bet against Essendon a lot because if we lose, iā€™m consoled by the money and if we win iā€™m happy and we are one of the better teams to back against.

Pretty sure you will find the bookies have Freo as red hot favourites against us and canā€™t see how we could be 50/50 but footy is a funny game so who knows.

I donā€™t know if our some of our guys have a psychological glyche rather than a fitness problem. Many of us supporters believe the umpires are either biased or incompetent or both. There is a pattern with the umpiring and Essendon and it is readable but people only see what they are looking at. If you are NOT looking for it, you may not see it unless it is shown to you. Then you need to look at other games and pick out the same behaviour to recognise the pattern and how it is game changing. It can take away opportunity. Does this happen with every AFL club, no it doesnā€™t.

There are several clubs who just seem to get the rub of the green. Just luck? I donā€™t think so! Some clubs get free kicks at crucial times more often than others which are game changing. Then at some point, the umpires may be seen to even the score but it doesnā€™t matter, because; the flow of game has changed and its game over. Coincidence or synchronicity?

I know these blokes are elite pro athletes however, can you imagine how this continual stuff with umpires MIGHT get to the team on a subconscious level. Its something you canā€™t fight it, you canā€™t stop it, you canā€™t talk about, you have to pretend it doesnā€™t exist, its not happening and try to maintain your focus on other things.

Its the little things that get to people which grow into bigger things. And that which we resist will persist on some level of our psyche. Psychological power or gain over another team. Thatā€™s what the Hakaā€™s about. I can be fairly certain saying its something we havenā€™t got. Our 2000 Premiership team certainly did, they had it in spades. They were cocky and arrogant and were hated but also admired. We have lost our mojo and I wonder, if we will ever get it back.

I think weā€™ll take 7 of the last 9 with losses only to Adelaide and Freo. Im an optimist.

I can just take the emotion out of it. Iā€™ve tipped us wrong twice this year, St Kilda & Sydney. I donā€™t bet on Essendon games though.

Bookies have Freo at 1.72 to 2.05 as we sit. So yes, favourites.

edit* somebody please tell me if iā€™m not meant to be posting gambling odds here. Iā€™m not promoting gambling, just trying to put outside perspective on our game.

Nah, we win those two, ā€˜cause Iā€™ll be there for them.

1 Like

Itā€™s your opinion, but man, some of those seem awfully pessimistic.
Whilst we canā€™t challenge the Top 5 sides, and seem unlikely to jag a win against a decent side interstate, we appear to be able to handle the sides around us on the ladder since Rd.3.

Iā€™m thinking more likeā€¦

GWS @ Marvel, 35/65
Swans @ MCG 70/30
North @ Marvel 75/25
Crows @ AO 35/65
Suns @ Metricon 85/15
Power @ Marvel 70/30
Dogs @ Marvel 65/35
Freo @ Optus 30/70
Pies @ MCG 35/65

1 Like

Suggest you seek help asap

1 Like

I think weā€™ll make the finals,

in the VFL.

5 Likes

I wish we shared his optimism. Really envy people like this. Better to believe a falsehood it it makes you happy.

Still think Pies at the G rd 23 will be the toughest assignment

1 Like

FFS Geelong. Wake up. Get Ablett to snipe some guys, anything.

GWS @ Marvel, 30/70IMO
Swans @ MCG 50/50
North @ Marvel 50/50
Crows @ AO 30/70 - could be a belting if season over.
Suns @ Metricon 80/20
Power @ Marvel 60/40
Dogs @ Marvel 50/50
Freo @ Optus 40/60
Pies @ MCG 30/70

I see it like this

Against the giants we are big underdogs but if we get over them with confidence could knock off swans and North and still be in the hunt.

1 Like

Surely against Swans, North and Dogs - the fact that we are playing for a final and their seasons are over puts us more than 50-50ā€¦