THE ROAD TO THE FLAG 2019

Speedy, I share your joy for the win. And I can get ahead of myself as well as the best lid-offer around here. But I do want to temper my expectations and base them on results. Consistent results. I see lots of positives in the list. I also see positives in Worsfold and happy to let him go through his process. But expectations and possibilities do not always match reality.

I’m look forward to what we can do in Perth next week. We have the potential to be in the mix if we play at our best. But we still have a lot of work to do to build into that consistent side. What I hope is that we keep building into that competitive and consistent side over the rest of this season. And if we do make the finals then we’d enter them in dangerous form. It also gives us a stronger base to launch into 2020 and 2021 and …

4 Likes

West Coast 11 day break home game
Essendon 6 day and furthest away game🤔

Went alright last time

11 Likes

Reckon that works in our favour.

I had us winning 8-11 - which is now 7-10. Need to win 7 more games to be guaranteed a finals berth, although 6 may be OK - based on %.

2 Likes

We should have no problems with 6. Would be great to get to round 23 and have to beat the Pies to get to 13 wins and make finals. See what the boys are made of.

1 Like

I know spilt milk and all that. But come into the season prepared, win games against bottom 6 teams in St Kilda and Sydney, and this thread is a conversation about top 4 (we would be sitting fifth with a game in hand over Adelaide in fourth), not how other results need to go in our favour for us to scrape into the 8.

2 Likes

That scenario has run through my mind. It may happen. :wink:

1 Like

And cost them a home final or top 4 spot.

2 Likes

We are into our bi-annual redemption cycle at the moment, so I’m tipping we will win the next couple and then lose some winnable games in the back end of the season and just miss finals. Typical Essington style.

1 Like

Which winnable games did we lose in the back end of 17, 18, Essington style?

My memory of last year - we just weren’t good enough against the top teams after getting in a hole in the first half.

2017 - we made the finals, won ugly against teams we should have beaten.

Oh I’m sorry we lost those winnable games at the front end of last season and then played catch up for the remainder of the year ( Carlton/Doggies). Didn’t we lose to the Hawks by under a goal in the second half of last season too??

We are the most bipolar side of the last decade and as a supporter its so annoying that we are in the same position each season.

1 Like

Hawks were a top 4 team last year. Not a real top 4 team, but hardly an Essington like loss.

1 Like

If a few results go our way, we could be as high as 6th this weekend!

1 Like

When we beat the Weagles Ninthmond will drop to ninth.

Wouldn’t it be a pity if Richmond reverted to type, i.e. finishing ninth?

If we beat West Coast it puts us in a pretty good position.
We can drop games to GWS, Adelaide and Collingwood, plus one to Sydney, North, Gold Coast, Port, Bulldogs or Freo and still finish on 12 wins.

Hawks were utter dogshit last year. Shouldn’t have lost to them once let alone twice.

7 Likes

No they weren’t, not during the H&A season.
We still had ample opportunities to beat them later in the year, but just had too many poor 10-15min patches in that game where we gave up midfield domination to JOM and Mitchell, and their forwards capitalised.