The 'Rocket' Rod Owen Story

Mate no one would go near that article and investigate it. The AwFL will have a field day taking them to court.

And relied on an army of volunteers to run the club. I’m sure pedos weaseled there way into most children’s sporting clubs back then. A position of trust working with children was a huge incentive to the monsters. It doesn’t mean powerful men where covering up for them like the church. Much more likely that sick predators were good at being predators without others knowing.

People are much more aware of these things these days, working with children certificates etc.

2 Likes

The speed as a teenager part

2 Likes

Ah right.

A guy i worked with in the 70s was an ex-teammate at East Brighton and friend of Carl Ditterich.

The stories he told of parties at a block of flats in Linton St back in the 60s with a couple of well-known Channel 9 personalities brought along by Graham Kennedy…orgies might describe it. And Gra-Gra certainly had a soft, yet unreciprocated, esteem for big Carl.

It seemed that absolutely nothing was off-limits there.

1 Like

The speed stuff makes you wonder about the high and mighty attitude a lot of 80s guys took over our saga stuff.

5 Likes

My ex’s Dad played 20-30 games in the late 70’s, early 80’s.

He reckons he saw at least 10 different teammate’s regularly doing a line of speed before a game, and some at half time.

He reckons the social nights were just him and the few ‘straight’ people sitting around a table, while 90% of the party were all crammed into the toilets doing line after line.

1 Like

must’ve been a very clean toilet after each social night.

Didn’t Sheeds accuse Hawthorn of being on drugs in the 80’s?

1 Like

What a brilliantly constructed article. Incredibly sad story. Hopefully for all involved the uplifting trajectory continues.

2 Likes

I remember watching Rod Owen play. He was a very special talent.

Sad story, great to see he is a survivor

Geez l went to Moorabbin State school. l had begun high school a few years before this monster arrived. l sent the link to this articles to the most rusted on Saints fan l know. He messaged me back that he knows Rod, and he is a drunken d!ck. I don’t know if he has read the article, but l doubt it. The article itself is as harrowing as it is revealing, it has me wondering how many other stories are out there.

Are they to be drip fed to the public? The Frawley initiative is a necessary one. Finally someone has got people talking about mental health issues, and that can only be a good thing.

1 Like

Far out, what a horrible story.

Hope he stays on track and gets to enjoy some good times.

Having played junior footy at the same club (the green with the white V in the photos), but a few years younger, it was massive news when Owen made his debut at 16.

In hindsight it’s interesting that my primary school chose not to participate in the StK little league program that most of the other schools around there did.

1 Like

Lot’s of debauchery went on in footy clubs in the 70’s,80’s and 90’s, especially when they mixed with the entertainment industry - Some participated while others passed - Most enjoyed the fun and come out fine - Some enjoyed the fun and got into trouble - Very much a microcosm of society.

Did you read the article?

8 Likes

Not sure there were many junior footy clubs where little boys got raped by their coach.

Can fully understand the way Rod Owens life went considering his treatment by Ray and then Stewart.

then cap it off by giving a teenager speed.

3 Likes

‘Fun’

2 Likes

Read this on Friday night. Couldn’t get it out of my mind all weekend. Horrifying. The detail of that prick turning up on the race before a game to ‘say hello’… Let alone the initial abuse, what an environment for a kid to have to stay in, to return to, and be coerced and abused on so many other levels in the name of his football talent. Exploited in so many ways, in a place that his father loved… little wonder he became such a confused and conflicted young man.

8 Likes

I only had to read it and it is was a harrowing read.

Bloody heIl, even more harrowing for him and all his family members who lived the experience/s.

2 Likes