The Squad vs the Lions

I just can’t understand why Francis hasn’t been picked. What does he have to do? Has Brown played better than Francis in the VFL? Probably Brown will play CHF. I’d rather Francis than Hurley at CHB. Despite this is Hurley’s 150 game, this guy hasn’t been the same since the drug scandal. He, of all the players, seemed to be more affected all. This year Hurley has been poor, all the more reason for giving Francis a crack at CHB. I hope Hurley has a good 150th., but chances of winning seem a mile off. In fact, looking at the draw for the final 11 games, who are we likely to beat? Maybe the Lions and Saints, or even Gold Coast - two of those three are interstate. But we face the Eagles, North, Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood, Power, Swans and Fremantle who always gives us trouble. Four trips interstate, doesn’t help our cause. Maybe 3 at best 4 out of the remaining 11 games. Sorry to be sceptic, but that is the way I see it.

3 Likes

Tough call on Laverde, I thought he was well worth keeping in the team. I don’t really understand what the selectors are looking to get out of this season. We had a quick team for 2 weeks and we won those games. We have added slow players and guess what results we have had and will have. This has just become a tough game to win even with Brissy having some good players out.

Why?
He’s had 6 ■■■■ games in a row, what’s left to prove? You can only carry a passenger for so long.

1 Like

Fresh blood in Redman comes in, Green had to play against his old team, Francis only a week or two away, maybe Clarke could have played instead of Myers. Laverde’s used up most of his credits this year. Long isn’t even playing like his next contract is due.
Your histrionics about team selection are unnecessary.

4 Likes

Barry Day (one of the great players by the way), I thought he went OK in the past 3 games. I went to the Richmond game and watched Laverde as I wanted to see first hand if he was up to it and he did a lot of good work in the first half. So in summary I disagree that he has been a passenger and I believe he deserves more time in the seniors.

2 Likes

IMO only the most optimistic one eyed supporter would say Laverde has gone OK.
In my view he’s been massively disappointing. What exactly does he bring to the team?

2 Likes

:sleeping::roll_eyes::sleeping::roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Totally agree.
I’ve said it in a few threads now, i’d give him 3 or 4 weeks of VFL to get fitter (run him through midfield) then give him another 3 or 4 game patch in the AFL later in the season. If he shows nothing, delist

2 Likes

Green is only 26 I’m not sure why some are trying to retire him.

3 Likes

Believe me I am a founding member of the Lids On team and could not be described as one-eyed. He surprised me with the amount of running he did (often to smart positions but not rewarded), he blocked for team mates, he held his own in packs and is a nice mark and kick. I would have had Laverde in the top 12 players over the past 3 weeks so getting dropped is disappointing and is not a reward for his efforts.

1 Like

Out of the forward line and named first rover, am I right?

Bugger, I was just about to edit that post.

Be assured my original response was a lot less printable… farking heart attack.

1 Like

I absolutely believe we can play finals, and think it would be both ridiculous and pathetic to give up on that at this point. If we scrape in and get a finals game or 2 into Frang and Clarke and Langford and etc etc it would be very very beneficial.

I have doubts about Myers being our best option if we hope to play finals, but I can accept that the coaching panel wants a mature body around the ball. I just wish he’d play to a higher level. I think that he has played a lot better than his current form, so they’re backing him in to produce.

The rest of the selections I agree with although I also think Francis was ready based on form. But I can’t make that call based on everything else.

5 Likes

Myers was v.good against Port.

I think Myers is probably there for his ability to direct an inexperienced midfield.
And I also think that once that midfield has a bit more experience there won’t be any place for him anymore.

3 Likes

Ins:
Myers- 28 years old
Brown - 27 years old
Green - 25 years old
Redman- 20 years old

Out:
Stewart - 24 years old
Zaharakis - 28 years old
Laverde - 22 years old
Ridley - 19 years old

1 Like