The Squad vs the Lions

I know Ridley is injured, but those ins and outs make my insides hurt.

What counts as a bit more? 2 more weeks :grinning:.

Seriously though, i’d very much hope that we reach that point soon, although I suspect/fear it won’t be this season

Long should get a last go at that point, and Mynott can strut his stuff. I haven’t been impressed with Houlahan’s application.

Yep / the Dons are hot and cold but to rule them out of finals contention already, is the gloomers bread and butter.

Asap would suit me.

Our game has definitely gone passed him. But we have Smith, Stringer, Langford and others in the midfield who are all still learning to play there. Maybe we feel we need someone apart from Heppell, to help with positioning etc. Hopefully before long we won’t need that anymore and can move him permanently to the magoos and Clarke into the ones. Next year I should imagine we may very well add Begley to that rotation as well. All of a sudden our midfield is starting to come together quite nicely.

2 Likes

Kelly said in a radio interview last week that he and Skippy had challenged Merrett to play more of an inside role this year. Maybe with Zacka out, Merrett will be playing outside again and they need another inside mid?

2 Likes

Reckon we should have kept Howlett over Myers.

2 Likes

Even Melkshsm would be a hefty upgrade on those two.

1 Like

Howlett, Hocking, Bird all better options that Myers

Coaches going back to the well again bringing Myers and Brown back in.

Good luck Redman, but he will only last a couple of games. Like most young players do in seniors.

Hope green has a blinder against old side.

Bird :rofl:

1 Like

But surely you would agree Richmond would need to beat Port for us to have ANY chance of making finals? And even that looks unlikely at three quarter time.

I view Sunday as an important game. It’s against a lowly team. Past history would suggest we’ll be beaten. So, is there any improvement in this area from previous seasons and previous games this season?

Also, were the two wins just a result of the flak they’d received? Or is there some genuine improvement possible?

Not surprised that Laverde and Stewart are dropped. It’s beginning to look as though Laverde isn’t up to it. With Stewart, I always thought he’s an excellent third tall forward, and an adequate second. But without Daniher and Hooker there, he has been struggling. Now, none of the original 3 talls are there

Zaka will be a loss, as his form improved after the early games and has been very consistent. I thought they might have picked Francis and Clarke

Last week Essendon was outcoached. They didn’t face the challenge of combating that Richmond wall that we kicked into continually.
It’s almost like there’s a stubbornness in the box. The players were probably not playing to instructions, so were coaches wanting to make a point?? But why not accept that the pressure was too great for them to do what the coaches wanted, and adjust accordingly?

1 Like

so are my farts but they are still fun.

Ah, fart jokes.
Is it school holidays again?

Team is irrelevant anyway. It’s a milestone game so it’s a loss.

Pleased that Laverde and Stewart have been dropped. I think there are good reasons to have done so, and it sends the right message in my opinion.

A shame Ridley is injured. But he had a good few games to see what it’s all about. Will work his way back.

Devastating loss is Zaka. Very under-rated.

Redman in is great. Worked hard in the VFL. Done everything asked of him and earnt his elevation. Now to see what he has got.

Green in is fine. We lose forward marking power but adds pressure and is good for some cheapies.

Brown in is a lost opportunity in my opinion. Although I do like Brown on the list as depth, my personal opinion is that we would have been better served getting games into kids. It will seem odd, but I would’ve given Zerk-Thatcher a game.

Myers in is a backwards move, that is a real chance of having lost is the game before it starts. Everyone would love him to succeed, but FFS, sometimes it just doesn’t happen for a guy and you’ve got to be strong enough to have the hard conversation and leave him out. Clarke should have been named instead. The side as named is too slow. Heppell should be our only slow mid. Myers can play if he goes down. Playing them both is nigh on football suicide.

3 Likes

Lots of permutations to play out before the write off.

1 Like

The Myers selection to cost us the game?
Wow.

Getting close…