The Squad vs the Lions

Home enjoying themselves without having me whinge about who the Bombers have picked!

You should travel more often.

But it is a shambles. What direction are we taking? Playing Myers when we could be getting a game into a young player is plain dumb team selection.

If we somehow manage to win this game we have 2 or 3 kids who may be part of our future having missed out on an interstate win. As we all know winning interstate is a habit - one that we are miles off having.

Hence team selection is a shambles.

1 Like

Just for clarity Iā€™ve used the term shambles to represent mismanagement and a lack of clear organisation and structure.

I reckon that sums essendon up right now.

Hopefully Iā€™m wrong and my comments turn out to be nothing more than histrionics

2 Likes

Weā€™ll have to play well.

But if we want to play finals we have to beat sides above us.

If we get there we wonā€™t be limping in.

1 Like

Un fkn likely that. Donā€™t you know heā€™s the New Stanton??

1 Like

I actually donā€™t mind them and I defo consider myself a gloomer. They provide balance to the constant negativity on this forum.

4 Likes

If you also believe I miracles, its time to start praying.

Ah well, ā€¦ the kids might actually grow up one day and stop having tantys like fkn 2 yr olds when they donā€™t get what they want, so I have to enjoy it while it lasts, thereā€™s really not much funnier.

So easily baited too,popcorn

1 Like

I find BSD and Deckham both give thoughtful and considered analysis rather than some of the knee jerk reactions that frequently appear on this forum. If you ever get the chance to meet them you will no doubt find that they are passionate about the bombers and really nice blokes.

7 Likes

Absolutely mind boggling selection. Even if we win this Sunday, which we should, we still lose in the long run.

To give Brown games ahead of Frang? What possible argument could be made for that? Brown has consistently shown he is not AFL standard. Francis has had a tough start but was a top shelf draft pick and has shown enough highlights to think maybe he could be a gun. Not just serviceable but a legit gunā€¦ but how the fark do we find out if we donā€™t expose him to the big time?!!

Myers over Clarke - this one is legit baffling. Myers the perennial disappointmentā€¦ slow, one paced plodder that has absolutely no upside and is likely to break down early in Term 2 with yet another injury. Yes Clarke was disappointing in his first gameā€¦ but ffs that is why you need to give him 3-4 more at the level to see if he can adjust. We could have locked in a geniune inside mid for the next 10 years but noā€¦ we select david farking myersā€¦ who may not be a ā€˜fraudā€™ but is not the future of a successful EFC.

Green over Laverde - Of the threeā€¦ this kind of made the most sense in terms of possible ā€œwin nowā€ philosophies but againā€¦ really? Laverde struggled in parts but also put together some better patches with consistencyā€¦ finally hit the scoreboard a couple of times last week and started to show a little more endeavour around the ballā€¦ but nope back to the VFL for you. Green probably deserves his placeā€¦ but perhaps at the expense of a guy like Baguley who is substituting up forwardā€¦ I donā€™t knowā€¦ but it just seems like we donā€™t give these young guys long enough to really find their feet.

Every time we face a fork in the roundā€¦ we go for the old blokeā€¦ frustrating as hell and is not going to get us back to winning football. Nothing will change until we sack the entire lot of them and start again. Start with the head coach.

10 Likes

The server is definitely going to break when Myers signs another 3-year deal towards the end of next year.

That would blow the clocks out ā€¦

Until then though, ā€¦ we still have another season and a half of this hilarious butt hurt to enjoy, ā€¦

Whaddaya say to that Dave?

9 Likes

In all seriousness, has anybody done our win-loss ratio with and without myers?

Heā€™s 53-52 in his career (2008-current), 50.5% win rate. Weā€™re 98-3-130 as a team, 42.4% win rate.

All hail King David, our secret weapon!

11 Likes

Think weā€™ve got enough of a sample size n>10 to make p <0.05 if I remember corrrectly from my stats studies of 15 or so years ago.

1 Like

We should probably strip out 2016 given he wasnā€™t available that year, which takes the team record over his career to 95-3-111, a 45.5% win rate. The splits would thus be: 53-52 with him (50.5% win rate), 42-3-59 without him (41.6% win rate).

The science is beyond dispute - we are 21.4% more likely to win with Myers in the side!

10 Likes

Out of Stewart/Laverde/Clarke/Francis (all the young candidates absent from the team this week), Stewart is the one who has shown that his best is at least AFL qualityā€¦

So from a long-term perspective, his omission is the one that surprises me the most.

1 Like

I am more worried that Baguley and Mckernan are in the team.

Hmm. Whatā€™s the percentage for this season?