The Squad vs the Lions

6 Likes

Myers is just such a limited player, heā€™s a big left foot kick but not even a good left foot kick, he has no touch to hit a forward the few times he gets the ball. He doesnā€™t know how to weight a handball, no right foot. Just stands up in a tackle and hoofs it to the other team and then he isnā€™t an elite runner either. I just donā€™t get what he bringsā€¦

More of the mob mentalityā€¦keep bashing Myers you heroes

4 Likes

As far as I see it, our options were either him or Clarke, whoā€™s a worse runner and has IMO worse disposal. Theyā€™re both square pegs.

It says more about our depth right now (with zaha out, Mutch out & Colyer just back) than anything.

Myers isnā€™t a world beater, and heā€™s not the future, but I donā€™t have a problem with him coming in for injuries. Heā€™s not totally terrible.

1 Like

Not to argue with stats and think you are partly in jest? Chicken and egg I know but Myers got healthy around that period when Hird had us up and flyingā€¦ we were winning plenty of games and Myers was a part of that. Myers also seemed to get injured at the same time as we lost half the squadā€¦ so plenty of losses.

I would think a guy like Colyer might have similar stats as wellā€¦ was also one that was up and flying during some dominant periods.

Not really in jest.

Myers best year was 2013 - Hirdā€™s best year as coach - because he played 20 games and had continuity and thus developed consistency for a season. Unfortunately, I donā€™t think Myers has ever played 20 games in a season since.

Personally, I would have picked Dylan Clarke to play and told Myers he would only be played if Heppell or Clarke or Stringer were unavailable. But I understand why he was picked as Worsfold really, really values experience and he has just lost a chunk with Zaharakis going down.

Similarly I would have picked Francis, not Brown (Stewart deserved to be dropped in my opinion) and send Hurley forward to find some form.

I would do this because, although I might scrounge enough wins - barely - to make the Top 8 this year I would be out in the first week because the generally average performances of a Myers and a Brown would come to the fore under finals pressure and they show very little upside to their games.

But Iā€™m not the coach but I understand the coach given the mindset he has demonstrated.

I would also be playing Draper off the bench and getting Bellchambers playing deep forward when Draper rucked. In that situation, Hurley would go back and Dea - another ā€œgood, averageā€ player - would go out. Iā€™d bring Ridley onto HB and release McKenna into the midfield. Iā€™d look at ā€œretiringā€ Baguley and Goddard and bring in Redman and trial Long for a few weeks to see if he can make it as an AFL player.

Then, by the end of the year I would know who to keep and who not to.

My problem with the selection policy is that it seems to be designed to (just) make the Top 8, go out quickly and then be none the wiser on 3-5 young players.

Would rather risk finishing 12-14 instead but maybe have some youngsters put their hand up. If that approach yields a Top 8 finish then there is still a stack of upside and a chance we could go forward to the second week of finals.

But thatā€™s me and Iā€™m not the coach.

4 Likes

I reckon Myerā€™s best year was 2014. He played 18 games that year. So he did have 2 solid years in a rowā€¦ but that was a long time ago.

Good point - and we qualified for finals both years, hence why the stat that shows we are 5-10% to win with Myers in the team. When he plays well - like he did against Port Adelaide earlier this year - he is a very good player and helps set up a win.

He just doesnā€™t do it often enough these last 2 seasons.

2 Likes

That is spot on and 100% agree. I would do almost exactly the same thingsā€¦ perhaps you donā€™t watch games or support Essendon either? weird.

I think the disappointment comes when you are not achieving anythingā€¦ most of us took 2016 because we were at least learning about the kids and having fun doing itā€¦ we seem to have thrown all that progress away and gone backwards with our selections.

Oh wellā€¦ you are also 100% right that we are not the coachā€¦ and hence we have to sit back and let it unfold.

1 Like

Redman Centre half forward. Tippa needs a rest.

Is this the match review thread??? Just read a couple hundred posts and it appears Myers lost the game for us.

3 Likes

Confirmed maso-chist.

1 Like

You realise Laverde is not playing . Sort of losing Cred there . Sort of speaking sh*t .

3 Likes

Please win.

4 Likes

Weā€™re gonna get flogged.

Iā€™m a lid-onner, but Iā€™m expecting us to win this comfortably.

There should be too many inconsistent flakes in the Brisbane team.

1 Like

No Cameron and Robinson are big outs

Trueā€¦butā€¦what has become of this world!

2 Likes

Come on, if Myers played for Brisbane heā€™d probably do alright to.

I posted the stats (that we are 21.4% more likely to win with Myers in the side) and, rest assured, my conclusion that David Myers is our secret weapon was very much in jest.

Inferring that a player of Myersā€™ calibre has any statistically significant impact on the likelihood of winning a team game involving 22 players a side is mental masturbation at its finest. Our winning rate and Myers playing or not is the football equivalent of Bangladeshi butter production & the SP500:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidleinweber/2012/07/24/stupid-data-miner-tricks-quants-fooling-themselves-the-economic-indicator-in-your-pants/#6a427ae93c40